I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Practical preparation for surgery

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 10:22

Hello.  I’m having my RARP in less than 3 weeks now and trying to get together the things I might need after discharge from hospital.  I’ve found some useful tips in the forum e.g.

practical needs:  a mattress protector, bucket,  pads and pants (types?)

meds:  painkillers and  laxatives (suggestions?), instillagel (do I need prescription?)

diet: cut out caffeine and alcohol,  drink lots of water, herbal tea.  Sultana bran..

I've had one webinar cancelled and next is just a few days before op, and I haven’t had my pre-op interview yet, so I’m beginning to panic a little.  Any comments on the above or further suggestions would therefore be greatly welcomed.  Thanks.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 11:19

I had my RARP seven weeks ago and like yourself did plenty of preparation. Perhaps I’ve been fortunate, but I did not need pain relief following my discharge from hospital - there was soreness but no pain. If you contact your GP they will prescribe a laxative however you will probably be given a supply by the hospital on your discharge. The biggest problem for me was the catheter which I found uncomfortable and created a little soreness. The Community Nurses dropped off a barrier cream which worked wonders. Being a coward when it comes to surgery I was in dread of the post-op period, but it has gone very well. Download the Squeezy app for your pelvic floor exercises once the catheter is out - I’ve found this really useful. I was supplied with Tenaman pads by the hospital and the Bladder Control Team so I wouldn’t rush into buying many. You will find there is a lot of NHS support with people at the end of a phone if you have problems. You’ll be fine - stay positive!

Edited by member 09 Feb 2023 at 11:21  | Reason: Changes needed

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 23:58
Show Most Thanked Posts
User

- proper Y-fronts or jockeys, not boxer shorts ... one size larger than you would normally wear. Boxers don't hold the continence pads in place properly and your scrotum / pubic area may be very swollen at first so balls will appreciate the extra bit of support
- peppermint tea - if you are having keyhole surgery, they fill your abdomen with gas which can be quite uncomfortable for the first few days post-op
- pyjama bottoms or track pants in a soft, dark material - ideally with a drawstring waist rather than just elasticated / button up. M&S do a decent one https://www.marksandspencer.com/cotton-straight-leg-joggers/p/clp60506118?color=BLACK#intid=plpnav_pid_pg1pip48g4r7c2 
- try to get a mattress protector with a 100% cotton cover - the polyurethane side can be quite sweaty https://www.dunelm.com/product/staydrynights-mattress-protector-1000023523 
- if you can't get a mattress cover, puppy training pads from a local pet shop will do nearly as good a job
- books / puzzles - it might be boring sitting around resting but you may feel exhausted post-op as recovery from abdominal surgery uses about 5000k calories per day!

Re pads - before spending a lot of money, ask at your pre-op appointment whether the hospital will provide you with pads when the catheter is removed - or whether your local district nursing team / incontinence service will provide. If not, Tena for Men are the best known and widely available in supermarkets, many do regular buy one get one free deals. Boots men's pads also seem popular on here although my husband found then papery & uncomfortable. Whatever pads you buy, check that they are men's pads - ladies pads won't do the job you need. Also, don't spend a fortune stocking up on a lorry load of pads at this point as you may not need them for long.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User

I had my RARP seven weeks ago and like yourself did plenty of preparation. Perhaps I’ve been fortunate, but I did not need pain relief following my discharge from hospital - there was soreness but no pain. If you contact your GP they will prescribe a laxative however you will probably be given a supply by the hospital on your discharge. The biggest problem for me was the catheter which I found uncomfortable and created a little soreness. The Community Nurses dropped off a barrier cream which worked wonders. Being a coward when it comes to surgery I was in dread of the post-op period, but it has gone very well. Download the Squeezy app for your pelvic floor exercises once the catheter is out - I’ve found this really useful. I was supplied with Tenaman pads by the hospital and the Bladder Control Team so I wouldn’t rush into buying many. You will find there is a lot of NHS support with people at the end of a phone if you have problems. You’ll be fine - stay positive!

Edited by member 09 Feb 2023 at 11:21  | Reason: Changes needed

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 13:50

Curious, instilagel or hydrocaine are available from a pharmacist without prescription at most chemists except Boots, who require a prescription. The hospital may give you some, it is a couple of pounds a syringe, you may not need it. Slight leaking of urine and blood from the penis can happen even with a catheter in, particularly when passing a motion. I wore a pad even when I had a catheter, easier to swap a pad than the underwear.

Get a packet of your favourite biscuits for a midnight snack in hospital.

A bucket is often suggested, but medical advice is that the catheter should be supported not just left in the bottom of the bucket. I have never had a night bag leak, but did once disconnect the night bag before turning the leg bag tap off. Get an extra thigh strap from the hospital, attach the night bag tube to the leg bag outlet then attach the night bag tube to your ankle with the strap, it helps reduce the risk of pulling on the joints. PJ bottoms as suggested also help save any tangles. I wore snug but not tight underwear, it help keeps the catheter from moving around and rubbing in the eye of the penis.

Hospital should provide ear plugs and eye mask.A ward can be very noisy at night. The guy opposite me had the noisiest carry bag in the world.

Try to avoid constipation.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 13:58

I had RP in September 2022. 

Re the community nurses. Depending on your NHS trust don't expect them to come out. I was left on my own other than telephone support from the uro-oncology nurses.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 22:55

Thanks Lyn for the really detailed reply.  Some really useful tips there, and I’ll be sure to stock up on y-fronts and peppermint tea!  Much appreciated.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 23:07

Probbo thanks for the encouragement and advice.  I’m already using the squeezy app and the exercises seem to be going fine but I guess I won’t really know until the catheter comes out!

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 23:11

Chris, hadn’t thought of earplugs and a mask.  And I suppose an iPad and biscuits might help to get me through the night.  Many thanks

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 23:12

Thanks Jim for the tip. I’ll be sure to have telephone support numbers handy.

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 23:58
User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 15:47

After my operation I was lucky to have very little pain slightly leaking catheter was more annoying than any thing .After catheter removal I had bad incontinence for a week but dry during the night ,now 11 weeks I am down to 1-2  pads a day depending on how active I am .I find caffeine is bad for me and drink non caffeine drinks .I hope everything goes well good luck