I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New diagnosis today

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 20:08

Just had my Cancer confirmed today. I am at grade T3a. 

The consultant advised that due to my age at 75 and having had 3 heart attacks, 5 stents and many meds daily, I am not a candidate for a potential surgical prostate removal.  My hormone treatment starts today which will be followed by a radiography course to, hopefully, kill off the cancer.

Presently I am still very much at ease with this, no doubt worry and fearful anticipation are coming down the line. 

I guess that I need to start getting my affairs in order, just in case it degenerates.

What is the prognosis in real terms for recovery or otherwise from grade T3a cancer of prostate? 

User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 21:51
Prognosis for a T3a with no spread to bones or elswhere would be anything from 5 - 15 years. Assuming you respond well to the hormone therapy, there is a very good chance that you will live long enough to die of something else
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Feb 2023 at 01:47

I don't think Lynn has accounted for the radiotherapy. If the RT works it will either kill the cancer or knock it back for about five years. I would say with the current treatment plan worst case would be 10 years so I don't think prostate cancer will kill you.

Dave

User
Posted 10 Feb 2023 at 09:21
You are quite right, Dave - I was thinking 5 to 15 years just on HT
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Feb 2023 at 21:51
Prognosis for a T3a with no spread to bones or elswhere would be anything from 5 - 15 years. Assuming you respond well to the hormone therapy, there is a very good chance that you will live long enough to die of something else

User
Posted 10 Feb 2023 at 01:47

I don't think Lynn has accounted for the radiotherapy. If the RT works it will either kill the cancer or knock it back for about five years. I would say with the current treatment plan worst case would be 10 years so I don't think prostate cancer will kill you.

Dave

User
Posted 10 Feb 2023 at 09:21
You are quite right, Dave - I was thinking 5 to 15 years just on HT