Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Will leg swelling go away?

User
Posted 11 Feb 2023 at 14:31

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to us. 

My Dad has recently been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer, with spread to pelvis and lymph nodes in right side of body. The diagnosis came after going to the Dr with a leg swelling.

Since the diagnosis his leg has ballooned, but Dr's are mostly saying nothing can be done and treatment for the cancer is likely to take this away. Earlier this week a nurse mentioned lymphedema. He has literally gone from active to disabled in a matter of weeks. 

I think I'm looking for stories to give us some hope right now to get through the next few weeks until treatment starts. Has anyone experienced such swelling and does it eventually go away? Right now his quality of life is zero, and its not even the cancer that is directly affecting him. 

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated!

User
Posted 11 Feb 2023 at 19:12
It is the cancer directly affecting him - the cancerous lymph nodes are not doing their job so fluid is collecting in his leg. The medics are hoping that the HT will shrink the lymph nodes and get his lymphatic system moving - if that happens, his leg swelling should reduce. There is no guarantee that it will ever fully return to normal though.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Feb 2023 at 20:07

Hi LynEyre

Thanks for replying, yes I know deep down you're right, but I think I meant in terms of health he is on the exterior absolutely fine, aside from the leg. 

Fingers crossed that something works to at least give him some quality time.

User
Posted 11 Feb 2023 at 20:56

You said in your first post "next few weeks until treatment starts." Usually, when a man is diagnosed with advanced PCa, treatment starts immediately - either tablets for 2 weeks and then an injection or, occasionally, an immediate injection. Are you saying that dad hasn't had any hormones yet?

The hormones stop testosterone which starves the cancer; some men are still around 5 or 10+ years after a diagnosis like your dad's. He should be much more like his old self very quickly.

Edited by member 11 Feb 2023 at 20:58  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Feb 2023 at 21:35

He has yes, he had his first HT injection a couple of days ago, but we are still waiting to obtain complete staging (suspected spread to lungs but no scan for 2 weeks), and then biopsy to see what we are dealing with. 

Just a waiting game now, but having read through lots of posts this evening, I can see this forum is going to be an amazing support.

Thanks for your insight Lyn!

User
Posted 11 Feb 2023 at 22:44

If it's Lymphoedema I'm surprised the Dr's are saying nothing can be done. It can be controlled with a compression stocking. He needs to try to get a referral to a Lymphoedema nurse to get measured up. A stocking won't cure it but it will help control the swelling 

User
Posted 11 Feb 2023 at 23:38
I don't think they will recommend compression stockings until all diagnostics have been completed and there is an indication of whether the HT is helping, Chris. Some oedema clinics won't even see cancer patients.

User
Posted 12 Feb 2023 at 17:39

Yes, I didn't feel I was particularly high priority, Lyn. It took me over two months to get seen by the Lymphoedema nurse and even then I was slotted in on a cancelled appointment. The stocking has been beneficial so far although I'll probably be cursing it in the summer.