I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Englishman in Norway

User
Posted 12 Feb 2023 at 20:34

Hi, i'm a 54 yo man who lives in Norway. Was diagnosed with pc 2 years ago and have been under active surveilance. My psa has crept up from 4 when diagnosed to 7 now. Had an mri in december and got a different doctor as i think the other one retired. I've heard a lot of conflicting stories about people having surgery before it was really necessary, i'm moving back to England later this year and would rather get a different take on things, i have no network here and am worried about recovery after op with no support. Have read that in uk they are more likely to carry on with surveilance? Anybody know if this is the case? Thanks

User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 20:27

Have they not offered you hormone therapy and radiotherapy as an alternative to RP?

User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 21:05

I think you need to be absolutely certain you know which social healthcare you are entitled to before moving anywhere, unless you have private healthcare in which case it probably doesn't matter.

How long to stay on AS depends on what the medics say. I know one person who has a PSA of 16 and it has not changed for a decade. I don't know if he is officially on AS. He had a few biopsies, but then told the doctors he was fed up of being used as a pin cushion. I think that can be interpreted as discharging himself.

As Chris says HT and RT are an option and require less support than RP.

Dave

User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 21:13
Markymark, I think things vary somewhat here in the UK - your doctor will assess what he or she thinks is your particular risk. But my guess from what you say is that you would be close to the point where most would recommend treatment.

After which there is of course the question of which treatment, etc. From my experience (surgery as first treatment, but radiotherapy needed when PSA rose again) it would be extremely tough going through surgery without support but radiotherapy was better - though you might feel pretty lonely at times.

User
Posted 13 Feb 2023 at 21:37

It might be useful for you to join the Active Surveillance Online Support Group, where you can ask questions about the protocols commonly used in the UK for deciding when to switch to active treatment.