Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New PSA test

User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 13:21

Afternoon all,

The usual story of the symptoms, not being able to control the flow anymore and then seem to be going non stop during the day.

Interestingly not having to get up at night.

Anyway just had a PSA test done 

The results came back as Se prostrate specific Ag level 0.93ug/l 

The doctor notes say abnormal, all the internet stuff says this fall in the normal range, so I am bit confused as to why this is classed abnormal.

I am waiting for Docs to get in touch but it has been bothering my all weekend 

Hopefully someone can shed some light on it thanks 

User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 15:22

BT, how old are you? 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 15:47

53 just about 

Thanks

User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 23:24

Hi,

You might just have incontinence or an inflammation causing the incontinence, perhaps nothing to do with the prostate.  The doctor should have felt your prostate as well and said whether it feels normal.

Inflammation of the prostate usually increases the psa, sometimes by a lot.

If anything your psa seems low.  They usually say up to about 3 is normal for someone your age.

It's possible to have prostate cancer and a very low psa, although it's rare.

It's better to wait for the appointment, although someone else might have some thoughts or a better way of saying it.

All the best

Edited by member 20 Feb 2023 at 08:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Feb 2023 at 23:44

That PSA number is normal. My first post on this forum was asking the exact name of the test. I can't remember the exact problem but mine did not say "Se prostrate specific Ag level", it was something like "PSA free Ag level" anyway long story short, they hadn't set up the machine correctly and I was the first person who had noticed in several years. They assured me all was ok, they now have it set correctly and no one had died because of the mistake. 

So the moral of the story is don't expect competence from "the system". In your case I suspect no one has set the normal level to 2.9 it has been left as zero on the test machine. If this is the case please make a fuss about it, we need these people on the ball.

Dave

User
Posted 20 Feb 2023 at 07:26

What are your previous PSA readings, with dates?

Has the doctor examined your prostate?

The symptoms you describe are those of an enlarged prostate which is not related to prostate cancer.