I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried about Brother's High PSA

User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 17:12

Not long after was diagnosed with PC, my brother went to check his PSA, his was 12, as the normal protocol, he did an MRI scan and subsequently a biopsy. His biopsy unlike mine was done under local anaesthesia, mine was general and I think it was a template biopsy. Apparently, they did not find any cancer in the samples but have put him on a watch. He has also done a few more tests 6months apart and his PSA is never below 10. 

I was wondering if anyone has been in this boat and is it normal for everything to be ok and yet have an high PSA?

User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 19:34
We have had men on here with PSA of 70/80 who were subsequently given the all clear - no cancer detected
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 18:19
It's not so much the PSA number that matters as the trend. A high but steady PSA probably has some cause other than cancer; a PSA which is increasing at every test probably is cancer. Given the negative biopsy results, Active Surveillance and regular testing is a sensible way forward.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 19:21
A friend of mine had a PSA in the nines for about 12+ years. He had been diagnosed with PIN but his PSA never reached 10, the point where he was told they would treat him. He died last year aged 86 from a non cancer related problem.
Barry
User
Posted 03 Mar 2023 at 10:30

Yes, I know someone whose PSA has been 16 for at least a decade.

Dave

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 18:19
It's not so much the PSA number that matters as the trend. A high but steady PSA probably has some cause other than cancer; a PSA which is increasing at every test probably is cancer. Given the negative biopsy results, Active Surveillance and regular testing is a sensible way forward.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 18:26

Thanks a lot Chris.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 19:21
A friend of mine had a PSA in the nines for about 12+ years. He had been diagnosed with PIN but his PSA never reached 10, the point where he was told they would treat him. He died last year aged 86 from a non cancer related problem.
Barry
User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 19:34
We have had men on here with PSA of 70/80 who were subsequently given the all clear - no cancer detected
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Mar 2023 at 14:39

Thanks these forum questions and answers are great. I have a PSA of 15, but my father had prostate cancer - older than I am now and survived. Going in for a biopsy after the MRI discovers an anomaly that needs investigating. I am worried!

User
Posted 03 Mar 2023 at 10:30

Yes, I know someone whose PSA has been 16 for at least a decade.

Dave