Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad diagnosed with stage 2 and 3 month wait for surgery

User
Posted 04 Mar 2023 at 21:12

Hi everyone, 

My dad told me today that he has been diagnosed with stage 2 prostrate cancer and is going to have surgery to remove his prostrate in June (3 months away). I know that stage 2 has a good prognosis but I’m just really worried that it could get worse in those 3 months, and he isn’t going to be monitored until the surgery so they wouldn’t know if it does get worse. I’m sure the doctors know are confident it won’t get worse, but I just wanted to see if this length of wait is normal and a bit of reassurance that it won’t get worse over that time? 

Thanks

User
Posted 05 Mar 2023 at 00:41
It might be that dad agreed June with the surgeon; it gives him time to have a holiday, get fit, sort stuff out? Perhaps recovering from surgery is more attractive in the summer months when he can potter around the garden or park. Prostate cancer is very slow moving and he has probably had it for many years - 3 months isn't going to make much difference. When my husband was diagnosed, the surgeon advised us to delay, have a holiday and loads of sex. We didn't but we really wished afterwards that we had!

If the delay is due to a backlog and the surgeon was concerned that the cancer was close to the edge, they would have offered him hormones in the meantime, I think. You could ask but it might be that dad doesn't fancy the extra side effects.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Mar 2023 at 08:37

Waiting 3 months for surgery seems to be quite typical at the moment. Many on here have reported much longer waits. The surgeon told me if I waited another year I would be OK, although he did not recommend it.