I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Journey to the unknown

User
Posted 10 Mar 2023 at 05:49

Hi all was diagnosed with PC in june 22 and had a prostatectomy in dec 22 .

I was just wondering are water infections the new norm nowadays after the operation .As I have had one each month so far. Also my penis feels like a red hot poker since operation which gives me a lot of pain . I have been to the Doctors but all they keep saying it will calm down . I have also had constant Diarrhoea since operation has anyone had the same symptoms . I would appreciate any advice as I am banging my head against a brick wall

Pat

User
Posted 10 Mar 2023 at 19:20

Hi ScubaPat,

Sorry that you're having problems after prostatectomy.  I had my surgery last June, so I'm a few months ahead of you.  I've not had any urinary tract infections, so I can't comment on how frequent a problem that is.

I have had minor bowel issues since last June, although I can't find any information on Dr. Google as to how common this is after surgery.  I have not had what I would call diarrhoea, but have several bowel movements per day, usually all before midday.  Then it seems to settle down for the rest of the day. 

I was concerned about bowel metastases, so went for bowel screening, but they didn't find anything (no cancer, colitis, or polyps).  They just said 'come back if it gets worse'.  I have increased my fibre intake (wholegrain cereals and bread) to make my stools more bulky and this seems to help a little, but is not a complete cure.

Hopefully, others may be able to offer more information / support.

Good luck.

JedSee.

User
Posted 10 Mar 2023 at 20:21

It sounds like prostatitis, but hopefully that should be impossible.

Has anyone cultured the UTI and identified what it is, so they can select an antibiotic it's sensitive to?

If it comes back once a month, I suspect it never went, and if it is a bacterial infection, it wasn't sensitive to the antibiotic used. Many antibiotics are also anti-inflammatory, and some temporary relief might have been derived through the anti-inflammatory properties, rather than the antibiotic properties.

Something else that can generate repeated UTIs is incomplete voiding - not emptying your bladder when peeing. This is because the residual acts as a reservoir to keep any infection going. Also, drinking too little fluid so you don't have a good flow through urinary system allows more bacteria to build up.

Drinking cranberry juice can help avoid UTIs because it coats the bladder and urethra with a chemical which prevents bacteria from sticking, so they're more likely to be washed out when you pee. (However, that won't work if you are not emptying your bladder.) Go for a sugar-free one (otherwise the high sugar may defeat the object), and beware if any other meds rule out use of cranberries (such as Warfarin).

User
Posted 10 Mar 2023 at 21:04

Pat, It is not unusual to see guys posting about one water infection following surgery, probably as a result of the catheter. I seemed to remember having a recurring water infection after surgery, then following a slow flow I had a cystoscopy and they found a surgical clip in my bladder. It isn't common but there are a few of us on here who went on to have multiple hem o Lok clips found in our water works systems.Another symptom was foul smelling urine.

I now have a permanent suprapubic catheter and am on antibiotics at the moment. Like you the penis feels like it is on fire when I leak. Most of my urine comes out via the SPC. The pain in the penis and perineum is sometimes transmitted pain due to the bladder issue. As already mentioned drink plenty. Another thing to try is, put a couple of fingers just behind the testicles, gently apply pressure and push urine out of the urethra towards the penis. I am sure someone can describe the technique better.

Again getting a culture grown to get the right antibiotics is important.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 10 Mar 2023 at 21:41

Hi Andy

The water infection I had was A ESBL E.coli . A real nasty one so I had the right antibiotics . I seem to get rid of it for a whlile then it’s ugly head reappears again 

User
Posted 10 Mar 2023 at 22:17

Hi Chris 

thank you for the advise I will have to look up the exercises . I hope your infection clears up soon

Pat