Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rising PSA Many Symptoms

User
Posted 11 Mar 2023 at 17:29

Hi All - Could really use some education, advice here

had a scare in 2016 when psa went from 2.9 to 4.9 in 1 year. did biopsy and no cancer was found. only inflamation.

had blood work done in 2019 and psa was 3.4

had blood work done in 2021 and doctor never phoned me with any results or concerns but i just found out psa was 6.2 at that time

just went to my GP for right side pelvic discomfort and pain in right hip, ironically 2 days before my appointment i suddenly had sharp pain in left side and discomfort urinating...throughout the years I've always had dribbling but in the last 2 months I've had great urgency almost to the point of pissing myself. i only sleep about 5 hours a night so cant really say if i have the night urgency as once i wake up I'm up and don't go back to sleep. so 2 days before appt i started having the urinating discomfort...we did blood work, he gave me cipro and naproxen for 10 days and he sent me to a useless urologist.

blood came back normal except for high cholesterol and glucose but the psa was 7.3. flow test came back as not emptying bladder completely so i was given Flomax that really hasn't helped anything except the dribbling. i have to force urine, i have a split stream 7 out of 10 times when i pee, still have right side pelvic discomfort/pain which feels like its swollen sometimes and not swollen at other times and right hip pain that has been pretty persistent for about a month now. The useless urologist sent me for lower organ sonograms that didn't show anything except for gallstones and a fatty liver but nothing bladder or kidney related. so urologist asked me to come back in 2 weeks for a cystoscopy and nothing else. just Flomax and suffer for another 2 weeks.

i have an appointment with my old urologist who had moved but will be worth the trip instead of the one I've been seeing. 

I've pretty much convinced myself that i have cancer and am now just wondering how bad it  is since i never got my results from 2021 till a couple of weeks ago and now see its even higher. I'm very concerned and now this morning after i p****d i suddenly have discomfort/pain on my inner right thigh.

i can handle the pain but the constant reminder all day long is giving me anxiety to the point i start shaking.

i guess it would help if someone more knowledgeable than myself can share some insight.

User
Posted 12 Mar 2023 at 08:06

Hi LaMaquina, It seems odd that you weren’t checked out for PCa at the PSA of 6.2 in 2021! Certainly I can empathise with you regards the symptoms, pee, pain and flow.  In my case (see profile) it did turn out to be cancer but I think as others would tell you here PSA is a crude test and not always by any manner of means accurate for cancer diagnosis.  

It would seem to me though that you should (must) be on a clinical path now for checking this all out though, if they say they aren’t going to do that I would insist that they do.  I had similar hip and pelvic pain to yours.

My clinical path was GP, Urologist for DRE, Urologist for Biopsy, full set of scans (MRI, CT, Bone)  then Oncology for continuing care.  

At the very least you need a DRE of your prostate. 

Don’t take no for an answer as your symptoms do seem suspicious and you deserve answers given the continued rise of your PSA. 

Wishing you best luck 

Michael