Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Newbie - Biopsy this week - fears.

User
Posted 12 Mar 2023 at 16:51

Hi all,

Found this forum quite by accident but seems a useful place to 'chat' in the absence of real people to talk to.

93 year old father's got it, into his pelvis now - on hormone treatment, that's all they're going to do which is fair enough.

So I'm starting out, aged 65, PSA of 8 up from 5, 2 years ago.

I had MRI, there's 'something there', going for Biopsy in 5 days.

Biggest fears (apart from loss of dignity laying there with my legs in the air, tackle taped out of the way, having a needles jabbed through my perineum multiple times) are getting infected (sepsis) and getting retentive and needing an emergency catheter put in.

Oh well, see what happens.

User
Posted 12 Mar 2023 at 21:19

Yeah ok, bit of indignity involved in the process. But the nursing staff were brilliant. As for the procedure, they know roughly where they are aiming because of the MRI, plus they stick a ultra sound up your backside to guide them, means they don't take more samples than needed. The worst bit is when they give the local anaesthetic. Our trust gives you a couple of strong antibiotics, but it's only a precaution. Unlikely you will get an infection. I was back at work within an hour.

On the other side of the procedure it at least allows them to assess what they are dealing with, so a treatment plan can be offered.

User
Posted 12 Mar 2023 at 19:42

Don't worry about the sepsis, biopsy technique has changed over the las five years. Trans rectal biopsy had a 3% risk of infection. Nowadays you are more likely to have a trans perineal biopsy which is far lower risk.

Emergency catheter, I won't deny it is possible, but I think unlikely. 

Dave

User
Posted 12 Mar 2023 at 20:59

Don’t worry too much, it’s pretty straight forward and I didn’t feel any real pain, just a few jabs. And certainly having it through the perinium is much less prone to infection than through the rectum. Yes, you lose your dignity a bit but no more so than what women have to go through during childbirth😊 I found the nurses excellent in keeping me calm and preoccupied during the procedure and I even had a group of medics from another healthboard watching the proceedings…..I’ve never had so many people looking at my arse before🤣🤣🤣

You’ll pass some blood when peeing and when you ejaculate for a few days but nothing to worry about. Drink plenty of water and just take it easy for a couple of days and you’ll be fine. 
Good Luck!

Derek

User
Posted 13 Mar 2023 at 06:11

Hi I had a spinal for my biopsy in the hospital where my wife works in the operating theatres. So there I was legs akimbo tackle taped out of the way with all her workmates looking and chatting to me. They have seen more dangly bits than you have had hot dinners so don’t worry. Perineal biopsies are very safe. Catheterisation is a a very rare occurrence. Hope all goes well. They always did this sort of procedure on Willy Wednesdays ha ha. 

User
Posted 13 Mar 2023 at 09:46
Yep I'll follow every one else a bit undignified, I could only imagine they had missed watching golden shot when kids with left a bit down etc, directing the needles to take the biopsy, also take something to sit on on the way home KY jelly gets every way, best of luck, don't worry about the procedure at all
User
Posted 13 Mar 2023 at 11:02

Personally where you are was the worst bit. Bad news after bad news. It is actually easier when you know what you have got and have a treatment plan in place. I am not going to downplay that the Biopsy is not very nice but it is quite quick and most people have no side affects other than a bit of blood.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2023 at 19:39

Hi GraWood,

Sorry that you've had to join this 'club'.

I was diagnosed last May (2022) after a transperineal biopsy.  They put the 'needles' (?) in between the anus and the testicles.  From memory, I think they took about 20 samples.  It is a little uncomfortable and occasionally they hit a particularly tender spot which is slightly painful, but they offered anaesthesia but I didn't think that was necessary.  If you've had a tattoo, it is somewhat similar to that.  I had no problems with infection afterwards.  I think you will be OK.  It was the waiting for the results afterwards that I found to be the worst part.

Good luck.

JedSee.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2023 at 20:50

Had a couple off biopsy on prostate all tolerable over in no time pain level 5 out off 10 gaz 👍

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Mar 2023 at 19:42

Don't worry about the sepsis, biopsy technique has changed over the las five years. Trans rectal biopsy had a 3% risk of infection. Nowadays you are more likely to have a trans perineal biopsy which is far lower risk.

Emergency catheter, I won't deny it is possible, but I think unlikely. 

Dave

User
Posted 12 Mar 2023 at 20:59

Don’t worry too much, it’s pretty straight forward and I didn’t feel any real pain, just a few jabs. And certainly having it through the perinium is much less prone to infection than through the rectum. Yes, you lose your dignity a bit but no more so than what women have to go through during childbirth😊 I found the nurses excellent in keeping me calm and preoccupied during the procedure and I even had a group of medics from another healthboard watching the proceedings…..I’ve never had so many people looking at my arse before🤣🤣🤣

You’ll pass some blood when peeing and when you ejaculate for a few days but nothing to worry about. Drink plenty of water and just take it easy for a couple of days and you’ll be fine. 
Good Luck!

Derek

User
Posted 12 Mar 2023 at 21:19

Yeah ok, bit of indignity involved in the process. But the nursing staff were brilliant. As for the procedure, they know roughly where they are aiming because of the MRI, plus they stick a ultra sound up your backside to guide them, means they don't take more samples than needed. The worst bit is when they give the local anaesthetic. Our trust gives you a couple of strong antibiotics, but it's only a precaution. Unlikely you will get an infection. I was back at work within an hour.

On the other side of the procedure it at least allows them to assess what they are dealing with, so a treatment plan can be offered.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2023 at 06:11

Hi I had a spinal for my biopsy in the hospital where my wife works in the operating theatres. So there I was legs akimbo tackle taped out of the way with all her workmates looking and chatting to me. They have seen more dangly bits than you have had hot dinners so don’t worry. Perineal biopsies are very safe. Catheterisation is a a very rare occurrence. Hope all goes well. They always did this sort of procedure on Willy Wednesdays ha ha. 

User
Posted 13 Mar 2023 at 09:46
Yep I'll follow every one else a bit undignified, I could only imagine they had missed watching golden shot when kids with left a bit down etc, directing the needles to take the biopsy, also take something to sit on on the way home KY jelly gets every way, best of luck, don't worry about the procedure at all
User
Posted 13 Mar 2023 at 10:20
Thanks for your reassurances - I know I worry more than I should - my anxiety is having a field day with this!

Christ knows what I'll be like if it goes to the treatment or surgery stage!

From what I've seen of our Urology team so far, I'm confident I'll be in good hands.

Cheers,

Graham

User
Posted 13 Mar 2023 at 11:02

Personally where you are was the worst bit. Bad news after bad news. It is actually easier when you know what you have got and have a treatment plan in place. I am not going to downplay that the Biopsy is not very nice but it is quite quick and most people have no side affects other than a bit of blood.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2023 at 19:39

Hi GraWood,

Sorry that you've had to join this 'club'.

I was diagnosed last May (2022) after a transperineal biopsy.  They put the 'needles' (?) in between the anus and the testicles.  From memory, I think they took about 20 samples.  It is a little uncomfortable and occasionally they hit a particularly tender spot which is slightly painful, but they offered anaesthesia but I didn't think that was necessary.  If you've had a tattoo, it is somewhat similar to that.  I had no problems with infection afterwards.  I think you will be OK.  It was the waiting for the results afterwards that I found to be the worst part.

Good luck.

JedSee.

User
Posted 13 Mar 2023 at 20:50

Had a couple off biopsy on prostate all tolerable over in no time pain level 5 out off 10 gaz 👍