I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

NHS v Private

User
Posted 14 Mar 2023 at 10:10

Hi recently diagnosed partner, options of NHS Radiotherapy (Sheffield Weston Park) or private (Genesis) Nottingham for 37 sessions. Anyone had any experience of either hospitals or anyone had the gel implant before RT?  Thanks  

User
Posted 14 Mar 2023 at 20:21
A lot of the hospitals that were offering the gel implant on the drugs breakthrough fund have discontinued it - data suggested that it didn't necessarily reduce side effects. Also, some men are not suitable for it depending on where the cancer is - the gel insert can prevent the radiation from reaching cancerous areas at the front of the prostate
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Mar 2023 at 22:20

I was treated at Weston Park. Worked out very well. New patients can have an introductory visit so that they know what to expect. All 20 treatment sessions were at times I had requested, none cancelled, staff all very friendly and helpful, and the parking (although can be difficult to find a free space) was inexpensive, because patients just pay for the first visit, then get a pass for the rest of the treatments. I can't find any fault with my experience there.

Hermit

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 13:29

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
A lot of the hospitals that were offering the gel implant on the drugs breakthrough fund have discontinued it - data suggested that it didn't necessarily reduce side effects. Also, some men are not suitable for it depending on where the cancer is - the gel insert can prevent the radiation from reaching cancerous areas at the front of the prostate

I went for the Standard RT & HT - my lady Friend wanted me to have the Space-Ore - but I prefered  the Tried & tested treatment.

Space-Ore is expensive & I now think it helps very little & in fact, can reduce treatment, to the area where it's needed.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 16:31
I had my brachytherapy in November. I asked the consultant if I should get a space OAR fitted. His succinct answer was no.

Cost quoted at the time ( Private ) was over £7000.00.

Rgds

Dave

User
Posted 18 Mar 2023 at 01:16
If you have the option use Genesis, they have nice little touches like picking you up from home.
User
Posted 19 Mar 2023 at 09:01
I had my RT done privately at the Clatterbridge Private Clinic, part of the NHS Clatterbridge Cancer Centre on the Wirral. Paid for by work medical insurance. To be honest, the only real difference is that I got to sit each day in a nicer waiting room with leather armchairs and newspapers, and a nurse brought me my pre-treatment water to drink in a cut-glass jug with a frilly doily, whereas the NHS waiting room had plastic chairs and a water machine. I then went through a different entrance to the same treatment machines used for NHS patients. The actual treatment was identical.

My insurers approved Space-Oar treatment (I asked them) but I couldn't actually find anywhere to have it done. A hospital which used to do it no longer did. I didn't want to delay my treatment in a more extensive search for it.

All the best,

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Mar 2023 at 20:21
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Mar 2023 at 22:20

I was treated at Weston Park. Worked out very well. New patients can have an introductory visit so that they know what to expect. All 20 treatment sessions were at times I had requested, none cancelled, staff all very friendly and helpful, and the parking (although can be difficult to find a free space) was inexpensive, because patients just pay for the first visit, then get a pass for the rest of the treatments. I can't find any fault with my experience there.

Hermit

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 13:29

I went for the Standard RT & HT - my lady Friend wanted me to have the Space-Ore - but I prefered  the Tried & tested treatment.

Space-Ore is expensive & I now think it helps very little & in fact, can reduce treatment, to the area where it's needed.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2023 at 16:31
I had my brachytherapy in November. I asked the consultant if I should get a space OAR fitted. His succinct answer was no.

Cost quoted at the time ( Private ) was over £7000.00.

Rgds

Dave

User
Posted 18 Mar 2023 at 01:16
If you have the option use Genesis, they have nice little touches like picking you up from home.
User
Posted 19 Mar 2023 at 09:01
I had my RT done privately at the Clatterbridge Private Clinic, part of the NHS Clatterbridge Cancer Centre on the Wirral. Paid for by work medical insurance. To be honest, the only real difference is that I got to sit each day in a nicer waiting room with leather armchairs and newspapers, and a nurse brought me my pre-treatment water to drink in a cut-glass jug with a frilly doily, whereas the NHS waiting room had plastic chairs and a water machine. I then went through a different entrance to the same treatment machines used for NHS patients. The actual treatment was identical.

My insurers approved Space-Oar treatment (I asked them) but I couldn't actually find anywhere to have it done. A hospital which used to do it no longer did. I didn't want to delay my treatment in a more extensive search for it.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 21 Mar 2023 at 12:08

All the best,

Chris

I think they have found (but will never admit) Space Oar was & is an expensive Con trick.
Yes, if might reduce the side effects - but may also reduce the effectivness of the treatment to cure the Cancer.
Life with a few side effects, must be better than death, with no side effects ! 😅
Anyway, the side effects can be reduced by your own efforts, by NOT eating "Windy" foods, during RT episodes.

Edited by member 21 Mar 2023 at 12:10  | Reason: Not specified