I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Family medical history if you are adopted

User
Posted 18 Mar 2023 at 20:55

The other thing that I didn't mention in my other posts is that I'm adopted. I regularly get asked " what's your family history...." And I have to say I don't know.

Because of having raised PSA for the last three to four years (and increasing) I tried to find out about my birth parents. I wish I hadn't, but that's another story. I do have my birth father's name and approximate age. He's never tried to find me.

So the big question for here: is anyone else adopted and been able to hand details to the NHS and as a result been able to discover their family medical history? I haven't asked my GP yet, because 1) they are not the most helpful in the world and 2) I'm still struggling to handle my adoption background. Sorry for rambling.

My next MRI is April 1st!

User
Posted 19 Mar 2023 at 01:47

Just a personal view but if you are struggling with the fact that you are adopted, don't put yourself through the digging around. Your family history isn't relevant enough to justify it - if asked by any other medical people, just answer simply "I don't know my family history." Your biggest risk factor for getting prostate cancer is being a man (about 50% of men in their 50s have some prostate cancer although most will never know) and the NHS is not going to go looking for your father's medical records because a) it's confidential and b) it makes no difference to your situation.

You mention another MRI scan on 1st April - what were the results of the February scan? 

Edited by member 19 Mar 2023 at 01:52  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Mar 2023 at 08:25

Since you're on the diagnostic pathway anyway, your family history probably isn't relevant. It's more relevant as a risk factor to be getting your PSA checked, and you were doing this anyway.

If you have prostate cancer which is more difficult than normal to treat, it might be worth getting your genetics tested. You could try asking your GP for this anyway on the basis of not knowing your family history and therefore not knowing what else you should be looking out for, but I've no idea if that's available on the NHS in such a case. Of course, genetic testing might turn up things you wished you hadn't known about, and which might effect future life insurance.

User
Posted 20 Mar 2023 at 10:58

Thanks for your advice, I'll look into it