I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Will I regret RP surgery?

User
Posted 20 Mar 2023 at 20:34

RP surgery this week & I am having a major wobble. I keep googling Brachytherapy & watching DrSholz clips. Is this normal?

Edited by member 26 Mar 2023 at 08:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Mar 2023 at 22:29

RP September 2022.

Yes OK it's your decision to make but all the clinical staff I spoke to Surgeon, Onco, Uro-oncology Clinical nurses nudged me towards surgery. The reason they give is age. Give yourself the chance to remove all the cancer while your fit enough to with stand what is after all major abdominal surgery. Talk to the clinical nurses on here they are brilliant if you want some to talk through the options with.

User
Posted 22 Mar 2023 at 17:29

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

RP surgery this week & I am having a major wobble. I keep googling Brachytherapy & watching DrSholz clips. Is this normal?

Good luck with your surgery this week John.

I think it is normal to question your decision, we just went with our gut and decided no matter what happens….no regrets.

My husband was really lucky to get through surgery really well, although I say that, many other men we know have had no significant problems either. Everyone is different of course. Rob had some leakage during the day in the first couple of months but was soon ok. He has ED and we probably don’t work as hard as we should to correct it but we’re doing ok with that too 👍

He PSA has just started to rise slightly and I feel glad that if needed we would have RT to fall back on 🤞🏼 he did already have cancer in a lymph node so recurrence is highly likely. 

Best of luck and keep coming on here if you need any advice pre or post op.

Elaine

User
Posted 22 Mar 2023 at 18:45

John, like yourself I had cold feet but surgery has not been as bad as I expected: little pain although the catheter was uncomfortable. I am now 12 weeks post-operation with almost full bladder control. There is a lot of support when needed. You’ll be okay!

User
Posted 23 Mar 2023 at 12:58

Hi John

Age 52,  20 months post RP (robotic), no regrets. 

Normal to have wobbles, it's bad news followed by a huge decision to make.  Elaine4878 has hit the nail on the head to be honest, I can't add any more. Good luck . 

Trev 

User
Posted 25 Apr 2023 at 23:50

Hope everything is going well. Does take a while to settle. Just stick to the guidelines and take it easy for 12 weeks post surgery. I had my RARP back in November 2019 and no regrets at all. It’s a rough ride at the time but it wasn’t as bad as expected. I wasn’t fully continent post surgery until about 5 weeks. Have the odd squirt or drip every now and then but all good. Im at the gym doing heavy weights and just ensure I train on empty bladder and all good.

Best of luck with your recovery.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Mar 2023 at 22:29

RP September 2022.

Yes OK it's your decision to make but all the clinical staff I spoke to Surgeon, Onco, Uro-oncology Clinical nurses nudged me towards surgery. The reason they give is age. Give yourself the chance to remove all the cancer while your fit enough to with stand what is after all major abdominal surgery. Talk to the clinical nurses on here they are brilliant if you want some to talk through the options with.

User
Posted 22 Mar 2023 at 17:29

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Good luck with your surgery this week John.

I think it is normal to question your decision, we just went with our gut and decided no matter what happens….no regrets.

My husband was really lucky to get through surgery really well, although I say that, many other men we know have had no significant problems either. Everyone is different of course. Rob had some leakage during the day in the first couple of months but was soon ok. He has ED and we probably don’t work as hard as we should to correct it but we’re doing ok with that too 👍

He PSA has just started to rise slightly and I feel glad that if needed we would have RT to fall back on 🤞🏼 he did already have cancer in a lymph node so recurrence is highly likely. 

Best of luck and keep coming on here if you need any advice pre or post op.

Elaine

User
Posted 22 Mar 2023 at 18:45

John, like yourself I had cold feet but surgery has not been as bad as I expected: little pain although the catheter was uncomfortable. I am now 12 weeks post-operation with almost full bladder control. There is a lot of support when needed. You’ll be okay!

User
Posted 23 Mar 2023 at 12:58

Hi John

Age 52,  20 months post RP (robotic), no regrets. 

Normal to have wobbles, it's bad news followed by a huge decision to make.  Elaine4878 has hit the nail on the head to be honest, I can't add any more. Good luck . 

Trev 

User
Posted 26 Mar 2023 at 20:04

Thanks for all your replies, advice and support - much appreciated.  Had a few more blubbers on the day of surgery but got through it.  My recovery was surprising quick and more or less pain free. The only discomfort has been the catheter which I have to endure for another week.  Apart from that I was allowed home after 2 nights in hospital - I was up, walking & sitting the day after surgery. Can’t wait to get the catheter out. Next hurdle to get over is incontinence & then ED. One step at a time. Overall I’m happy with my decision so far -NO REGRETS - just hope the PSA test in 3 months goes well

User
Posted 28 Mar 2023 at 12:47

All sounds positive JohnQ. Little steps remember, take things easy, listen to your body. My husband is a year since surgery and all going well. You will feel so much better when that catheter comes out! Don’t underestimate the extent of surgery either and what they have done in there. Everything has to settle and heal. Once the catheter is out you really will progress. Don’t forget the pelvic floor exercises when you’re catheter free (squeezy app). Best wishes to you x

User
Posted 25 Apr 2023 at 12:12

this conversation really helping me out, will be having surgery soon hopefully , hope i have similar recovery stories with all here, will keep you updated

User
Posted 25 Apr 2023 at 23:50

Hope everything is going well. Does take a while to settle. Just stick to the guidelines and take it easy for 12 weeks post surgery. I had my RARP back in November 2019 and no regrets at all. It’s a rough ride at the time but it wasn’t as bad as expected. I wasn’t fully continent post surgery until about 5 weeks. Have the odd squirt or drip every now and then but all good. Im at the gym doing heavy weights and just ensure I train on empty bladder and all good.

Best of luck with your recovery.