Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hello - recent diagnosis

User
Posted 21 Mar 2023 at 16:22

Hi there

My brother-in-law told me about this web site and I'm very glad he did. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer several years ago and is currently doing very well.

A couple of days ago I found myself sitting opposite a Urologist as he told me "your biopsy shows the presence of cancer in your prostate." It was a bizarre feeling, almost an out of body experience. I drove home and told my wonderful wife and we just sort of stared at each other for a while and then read the comprehensive handbook the hospital had given me. A lot of good information in there.

I have a Gleason score of 3+3 so it's been found pretty early and for that I am extremely grateful. At the moment the hospital says the treatment plan is 'Active Surveillance'.

I'm currently waiting for a separate operation (abdominal aortic aneurysm repair) which hopefully should be happening within the next few weeks. It never rains but it pours! It all started with a stomach ache last September. I had a CT scan which showed the 3 aneurysms and some other problem areas including bowel, lungs and prostate. I got through the lung biopsy and the colonoscopy OK with no sign of cancer but have fallen at the last hurdle with a prostate cancer diagnosis.

I'm still quite freaked out but not as bad as I was a couple of days ago.

User
Posted 22 Mar 2023 at 01:45
Hi Nick, sorry you find yourself here. It seems vey sensible to remain on AS while you get the aneurysm repair done. For AS to be done properly, you should have a PSA test every 3 or 6 months with an annual DRE (finger up the bum) and an mpMRI in a year's time to check nothing has changed particularly.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Mar 2023 at 05:12
Hi Nick,

Was the Biopsy done after an MRI scan which is the more general way these days although some still have a biopsy first? In any event you will get the most benefit from this forum if you add your diagnosis and progress under you Profile/Bio so other members can also have a better idea of where you are and make more meaningful responses. Although not all Consultants would agree, some consider that Gleason 3+3 means that the errant cells have not sufficiently deviated from normal cells so as to justify being considered cancer cell. So hopefully that will reduce your concern. Good that you are being monitored thought as early treatment where needed gives better results. Hope this is not required or at least for a long time.

You might like to consider whether you would wish to remove your true second name as very occasionally trolls can be attracted to make contact.

Barry
User
Posted 23 Mar 2023 at 09:42
Hi Nick, sorry to hear your diagnosis was not what you were of course hoping for, but from all my reading I'd settle for a 3+3 when I have my diagnosis meeting next week! Seems like we are starting our journeys at the same time, so best of luck going forwards and keep your chin up! David
User
Posted 17 Jul 2023 at 14:33

I had my first appointment post diagnosis in March. PSA down from 3.4 to 2.9 and I will continue on AS. Next appointment in October. Still waiting for aneurysm repair surgery, it's already been cancelled once!

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Mar 2023 at 01:45
Hi Nick, sorry you find yourself here. It seems vey sensible to remain on AS while you get the aneurysm repair done. For AS to be done properly, you should have a PSA test every 3 or 6 months with an annual DRE (finger up the bum) and an mpMRI in a year's time to check nothing has changed particularly.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Mar 2023 at 05:12
Hi Nick,

Was the Biopsy done after an MRI scan which is the more general way these days although some still have a biopsy first? In any event you will get the most benefit from this forum if you add your diagnosis and progress under you Profile/Bio so other members can also have a better idea of where you are and make more meaningful responses. Although not all Consultants would agree, some consider that Gleason 3+3 means that the errant cells have not sufficiently deviated from normal cells so as to justify being considered cancer cell. So hopefully that will reduce your concern. Good that you are being monitored thought as early treatment where needed gives better results. Hope this is not required or at least for a long time.

You might like to consider whether you would wish to remove your true second name as very occasionally trolls can be attracted to make contact.

Barry
User
Posted 22 Mar 2023 at 08:32

Hi Barry and Lyn

Yes, the biopsy was after a MRI, which was after a PET scan which also showed 'stuff' in my bowel and lungs. Fortunately bowel and lung investigations didn't show anything to worry about.

User
Posted 23 Mar 2023 at 09:42
Hi Nick, sorry to hear your diagnosis was not what you were of course hoping for, but from all my reading I'd settle for a 3+3 when I have my diagnosis meeting next week! Seems like we are starting our journeys at the same time, so best of luck going forwards and keep your chin up! David
User
Posted 23 Mar 2023 at 17:13

Thanks, David, and the best of luck to you next week.

I came home from work today to find a letter from the hospital about pre-op breathing tests but it's not until 3rd May. I was really hoping to have the operation on my aneurysms over by then but now it's looking like it will be mid to late May at the earliest.

I sound like a wreck! Honestly, these past 6 months are the first time I've ever had serious health problems. Normally, I play tennis twice a week and do a lot of walking. I was advised to stop the tennis last September when the aneurysms first came to light so now it's just walking.

Edited by member 23 Mar 2023 at 17:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Jul 2023 at 14:33

I had my first appointment post diagnosis in March. PSA down from 3.4 to 2.9 and I will continue on AS. Next appointment in October. Still waiting for aneurysm repair surgery, it's already been cancelled once!