I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Not responding to Docetaxel

User
Posted 21 Mar 2023 at 19:11

After being diagnosed in February 2020 with PSA 1000 then starting enzutamide with 3 monthly Prostap injections, my PSA dropped to 2 by August 2022. My PSA then started to rise to 8 by December 2022.  My Oncologist then decided to take me off Enzutamide and start Docetaxel. I have just had my third course and PSA is still rising? It is now 16, last month it was 15. Has anyone else had Docetaxel not work first time round?

User
Posted 21 Mar 2023 at 22:25

Hi Keith.  I am in the same position, you can see on my profile my response to Docetaxel so far but basically PSA rising.  Not great to be fair  but it is still possible in my case, according to Oncologist,  it is a chemo flare raising PSA, maybe yours is the same?  Finger crossed for you and I hope things settle down. 

Cheers

Michael 

User
Posted 22 Mar 2023 at 01:50
PSA isn't a reliable indicator of whether docetaxel is working - think of it as the cancer screaming because it is under attack. I don't think you should be worried at this stage.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Mar 2023 at 02:44
Hi that is interesting, perhaps why my oncologist has also said she will use scans if there is no settling of blood results in the next cycle of 2? Maybe it will be the same for Keith.
User
Posted 11 Apr 2023 at 18:28

Hi Michael, today had my fourth infusion of Docetaxel but because their system was down I was unable to get current PSA.  I have a CT scan booked for next week and am due to see Oncologist early May.  Will let you know results.  We do seem to be following the same path.

Good Luck. Keith 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Mar 2023 at 22:25

Hi Keith.  I am in the same position, you can see on my profile my response to Docetaxel so far but basically PSA rising.  Not great to be fair  but it is still possible in my case, according to Oncologist,  it is a chemo flare raising PSA, maybe yours is the same?  Finger crossed for you and I hope things settle down. 

Cheers

Michael 

User
Posted 22 Mar 2023 at 01:50
PSA isn't a reliable indicator of whether docetaxel is working - think of it as the cancer screaming because it is under attack. I don't think you should be worried at this stage.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Mar 2023 at 02:44
Hi that is interesting, perhaps why my oncologist has also said she will use scans if there is no settling of blood results in the next cycle of 2? Maybe it will be the same for Keith.
User
Posted 22 Mar 2023 at 10:42

Thank you for these three replies. They are a great help. I thought it was the end of the road and they have given me hope.

User
Posted 11 Apr 2023 at 10:12

Hi Keith, have you had any further updates on PSA/Chemo?  My numbers have still pushed up, now to over 500.  As  Lynn  has said this could be chemo flare and I am still hopeful it is but having a CT scan soon to determine what is going on.

I truly hope things have settled for you Keith. 

Best wishes

Michael 

User
Posted 11 Apr 2023 at 18:28

Hi Michael, today had my fourth infusion of Docetaxel but because their system was down I was unable to get current PSA.  I have a CT scan booked for next week and am due to see Oncologist early May.  Will let you know results.  We do seem to be following the same path.

Good Luck. Keith 

User
Posted 11 Apr 2023 at 18:37

We do indeed Keith. Good luck to you too.  I will keep you posted. 

Michael