Notification

Error

PSA test and DRE

User
Posted 23 Mar 2023 at 12:34

Had a PSA of 2.1 in November.

Had a DRE two weeks ago, Dr said "feels fine"

Had another PSA four days after DRE with a result of 13.2

Dr now says that second result could be due to DRE and to have another PSA in two weeks. Any thoughts or experience of this, and of course the usual question - "should I be concerned"?

User
Posted 23 Mar 2023 at 13:34

The DR is following standard protocol. My first PSA was 8.5, DRE no issues detected. Follow up test still 8.5 so was referred. 

Too early to know what your dealing with. But I would think most would confess to feeling anxious while you go through diagnostics. The nurses on here are brilliant if you want to talk through the diagnostic path with them. Certainly helped me on many occasions. But again your early days so it does not have to be cancer.

User
Posted 25 Mar 2023 at 08:19

The PSA blood test should be done before the DRE. There is concern, but not much evidence that a DRE might cause a raised PSA, but unless it was a particularly brutal DRE, I would not expect any impact 4 days later.

After a once-off unexpectedly high PSA, protocol is to test for a UTI, and if found, that needs to be cleared with antibiotics, and a retest after 6 weeks. Some hospitals require the GP to retest anyway before referral, or they'll reject the referral.

Edited by member 25 Mar 2023 at 08:20  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Mar 2023 at 13:34

The DR is following standard protocol. My first PSA was 8.5, DRE no issues detected. Follow up test still 8.5 so was referred. 

Too early to know what your dealing with. But I would think most would confess to feeling anxious while you go through diagnostics. The nurses on here are brilliant if you want to talk through the diagnostic path with them. Certainly helped me on many occasions. But again your early days so it does not have to be cancer.

User
Posted 25 Mar 2023 at 08:19

The PSA blood test should be done before the DRE. There is concern, but not much evidence that a DRE might cause a raised PSA, but unless it was a particularly brutal DRE, I would not expect any impact 4 days later.

After a once-off unexpectedly high PSA, protocol is to test for a UTI, and if found, that needs to be cleared with antibiotics, and a retest after 6 weeks. Some hospitals require the GP to retest anyway before referral, or they'll reject the referral.

Edited by member 25 Mar 2023 at 08:20  | Reason: Not specified