I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Blood in catheter bag post op

User
Posted 25 Mar 2023 at 11:51

Hello. Had robotic assisted radical prostatectomy on Tuesday last and discharged home n Thursday.  Three other patients discharged on same day, all with clear catheter bags, where mine was reddish colour.  Four days post op now and still same colour.  As it’s the weekend, no Maggies or Prostate Cancer UK nurses available for advice.   Feel otherwise ok and bp normal. Anyone else had similar concern?  Wondering how long it might be before it runs clear? They gave me no indication in the hospital.

thanks

sorry couldn’t find a suitable topic area to post in

find this site difficult to negotiate

User
Posted 25 Mar 2023 at 16:58

George, I was advised rosé wine colour was "probably" okay , red wine colour needs investigation.  Have you been overdoing things. Empty you bag more frequently too see if the blood is continuous or intermittent. Blood in urine often looks worse than it is. Can you get in touch with the ward that discharged you. Don't let anyone other than urology change your catheter. 

Main thing,if in doubt get medical advice, we are not your medical team. One man's normal may be another man's emergency.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 25 Mar 2023 at 18:10

Hi George, 

My husbands bag definitely became more pink if we had walked a bit more etc and that was more than a week after op (he had catheter in for 4 weeks). He had some little clots come through aswell but just think it was post op debris.

Do you have the number of the ward you were discharged from? If so maybe give them a call and see what they think.

As Chris says if you’re in any doubt make sure you get in touch with a medical professional.

Hope all will be fine, best of luck with your ongoing recovery .

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Mar 2023 at 16:58

George, I was advised rosé wine colour was "probably" okay , red wine colour needs investigation.  Have you been overdoing things. Empty you bag more frequently too see if the blood is continuous or intermittent. Blood in urine often looks worse than it is. Can you get in touch with the ward that discharged you. Don't let anyone other than urology change your catheter. 

Main thing,if in doubt get medical advice, we are not your medical team. One man's normal may be another man's emergency.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 25 Mar 2023 at 18:10

Hi George, 

My husbands bag definitely became more pink if we had walked a bit more etc and that was more than a week after op (he had catheter in for 4 weeks). He had some little clots come through aswell but just think it was post op debris.

Do you have the number of the ward you were discharged from? If so maybe give them a call and see what they think.

As Chris says if you’re in any doubt make sure you get in touch with a medical professional.

Hope all will be fine, best of luck with your ongoing recovery .

User
Posted 23 Apr 2023 at 14:10

Good advice.  Thanks!

User
Posted 23 Apr 2023 at 17:41

Hi Curious George,

I had a bit of red in my catheter bag for 4 or 5 days.  As Chris decribed it, it was a rose wine colour.  The advice I received was to drink plenty of fluids to keep flushing it.  It was most noticeable first thing in the morning when I hadn't drunk anything overnight.  Once I had a few drinks it became much clearer as the day wore on.

Good luck.

JedSee.