I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Tips to ease catheter pain

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 00:16

5 days in & 9 to go. Finding the catheter really uncomfortable and sometimes painful. Starting taking Paracetamol. The only time I am comfortable is lying in bed. Sitting, bending & walking are very uncomfortable. Anybody got any tips that might help.

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 12:42

John, I always wore snug but not tight underwear with my urethral catheters, it stopped things moving around and stopped the catheter rubbing in the eye of the penis.

At night I strapped the night bag tube to my ankle to prevent the risk of pulling on the night bag/leg bag tap joint.

You have had major surgery and we all recovery in different ways. The catheter alone should not stop reasonably normal mobility. Take it easy but keep mobile.

If in doubt contact your medical team.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 29 Mar 2023 at 12:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 07:27

John, instilagel or hydrocaine will ease the soreness in the eye of the penis. You can get it without prescription at most pharmacies (except Boots) without prescription. It is about £2 a syringe.  Instilagel and hydrocaine are designed for catheter insertion and maintenance, they contain anesthetic, antiseptic and lubrication. 

The way you describe the when the pain happens,sounds like the catheter is just sitting in the wrong place. If you hadn't just had surgery there are things I could suggest but you are better off contacting urology or the ward that discharged you. 

An infection is also a possibility, again contact your medical team. Do not let anyone other than urology mess with your catheter. 

I have lots of catheter experience and generally speaking they didn't feel uncomfortable.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 29 Mar 2023 at 08:06  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 07:27

John, instilagel or hydrocaine will ease the soreness in the eye of the penis. You can get it without prescription at most pharmacies (except Boots) without prescription. It is about £2 a syringe.  Instilagel and hydrocaine are designed for catheter insertion and maintenance, they contain anesthetic, antiseptic and lubrication. 

The way you describe the when the pain happens,sounds like the catheter is just sitting in the wrong place. If you hadn't just had surgery there are things I could suggest but you are better off contacting urology or the ward that discharged you. 

An infection is also a possibility, again contact your medical team. Do not let anyone other than urology mess with your catheter. 

I have lots of catheter experience and generally speaking they didn't feel uncomfortable.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 29 Mar 2023 at 08:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 10:36

Colwickchris

Thanks for reply. It’s probably just me being a big wimp but I do get a lot of discomfort when I move/walk. I have only ventured out twice since the surgery last week, wearing very baggy joggers. I mostly say in the house in dressing gown & towel over my lap. I do walks around the house & apart from the catheter I am making a good recovery. I will try the Instilagel - I think it’s exactly what I need. 
Thanks

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 12:42

John, I always wore snug but not tight underwear with my urethral catheters, it stopped things moving around and stopped the catheter rubbing in the eye of the penis.

At night I strapped the night bag tube to my ankle to prevent the risk of pulling on the night bag/leg bag tap joint.

You have had major surgery and we all recovery in different ways. The catheter alone should not stop reasonably normal mobility. Take it easy but keep mobile.

If in doubt contact your medical team.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 29 Mar 2023 at 12:46  | Reason: Not specified