Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

tPSA/fPSA% and crazy anxiety

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 12:11

Hello everyone,

I likely shouldnt even be here (at least not yet) and I apologize if Im talking time you could be using for other things. But Im just so scared and anxious.

I suffer from significant anxiety issues, especially when it comes to health problems.

Im 42 and six months ago I had a PSA test which gave a result of 1.45 (apparently "normal") but with an abnormal 13% of free-PSA ratio to total PSA (normal being over 25%). The urologist at that time didnt even mention this during the exam, but I asked him and he told me that he isnt concerned about this since my total PSA is low. And that if I want, I could retest in six months. He didnt do a DRE, only ultrasound (measuring the prostate at 20cc).

But ofc then I went a googled about it, and found many reports that this free-PSA ratio is a pretty good indication of PC even at low PSA. Six months later, Im now due for another PSA test and going crazy with worry.

I mean, Im fully aware its way to early, but cannot even imagine the amount of anxiety I will have to deal with if it is something bad.

So I guess Im just looking for opinions about how relevant this free-PSA ratio thing is and how bad it could be (if it is) after 6 months. 

Wanted to add that Ive read many topics here and I just can believe what kind of strength you people have for dealing with these issues + staying so positive in many cases. Just unbelievable.

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 13:20
Google is sometimes a God-send but only if you have a full context for what you are reading. Free PSA is only a significant measure if the total PSA is between 4.0 and 10.0. As your PSA is lower than that, free PSA is not reliable.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 13:33

Hi,

Googling health issues has resulted ,for me, in excess anxiety in the past, so I am more restrained these days.

Take the blood test, ( it is suggested to avoid ejaculation within the 48 hours prior to the test - as it can influence a PSA reading ). See what the result comes back as. And then consider ones options, if raised request a DRE.

If tests then lead on to further examinations / MRI etc, then "go with flow" - better to see where medical science/tests lead to. Hopefully an all clear or an early diagnosis. With PC always better to catch it early.

P.