I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Daughter of a recently diagnosed dad (stage 4)

User
Posted 29 Mar 2023 at 23:40

My Dad has recently been diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer. He is the strongest man I know and it’s truly breaking all of our hearts to see him suffer. He is starting chemo soon and we are all trying to prepare - but does anyone have any advice on how to support? Things you would have liked or any advice on how he may feel? I know every case is individual and I don’t want to be overbearing with support. Totally appreciate too he is going to struggle to let his little girl see him in pain but I’m ready to be strong and do whatever he needs 

thank you xx

User
Posted 30 Mar 2023 at 01:12
Before he starts chemo, treat him to a podiatry or chiropody appointment to get his feet & toe nails tip-top - once he starts chemo, you won't want him getting any sores or nail bed infection. Bamboo or silk socks are gentle on the skin and the chemo nurses might be able to recommend a hand / nail cream as well. Invest in a good quality thermometer so that he can monitor his temperature - infection is the enemy of the chemo patient so important to see a GP quickly if he gets a temperature.

Also, as long as he doesn't have any heart problems, buy fresh pineapple, cut it up into chunks and freeze them for him to suck during infusions - this helps to minimise the sore mouth / ulcers and horrible metallic taste that so many suffer from. If he has heart problems, ice cubes are a good substitute. The chemo nurses might talk to him about a cold cap to help keep his hair but some men aren't that bothered and some find the cold cap very uncomfortable.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Mar 2023 at 07:43

Thank you so much for all of the tips! X