I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Massive incontinence

User
Posted 30 Mar 2023 at 18:09

Hi just wanting to know other people's experiences with incontinence, had my catheter removed 2 days ago and I can't believe how much urine I'm leaking every time I get myself up from my settee (granted I've had a cold and been coughing a hell of a lot so that hasn't helped) I'm so wet I'm not even wearing a pad I've got my little fella in a plastic jug, I stand up and no matter how much tensing I do it pours out if I didn't see the funny side I think I'd literally give in, my wife said give it time (without them where would we be) 

By the way it was R P surgery I had and all went well.

Has anyone had this sort of experience and if so what did you do?

Thanks in advance.

User
Posted 30 Mar 2023 at 22:06
Sounds normal - did the medics not explain this to you?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 30 Mar 2023 at 22:18
Two days? You do need to give it several months.

It is a slow process, you will see progress over weeks not days. You do recognise though that other factors can be important, I still suffer when I get a cough.
User
Posted 30 Mar 2023 at 22:35

Paul, are you doing your pelvic floor exercises? I used the Squeezy app which I found useful. It took me a few weeks to regain a high level of continence following the catheter being removed.

User
Posted 30 Mar 2023 at 22:47

I am and I also downloaded the squeezy app today so I think it's perseverance.

Thanks.

User
Posted 30 Mar 2023 at 23:13
At this stage, your pelvic floor is not the issue. You have had one urinary sphincter removed and the other one has been moved - it will take your brain a while to relearn which muscles control what. Plus your urethra has been cut in half and then stitched back together - our urologist described it as like a sieve in the early stages. Recovery from RP uses about 5000kc per day so your body will also be tired - don't overtire it by trying to do loads of PFEs at the minute. Just practice trying to feel which muscles to tense as you move around.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 31 Mar 2023 at 13:35

Hi Paul

I was exactly in the same position as you 21 months ago, and I wrote pretty much the same thing on here. It came as a complete shock to me.

When the nurses took out my Catheter I got up off the bed and it poured out onto the floor and their faces didn't help because it looked like they weren't used to seeing that. I really didn't appreciate how bad it was going to be, whether I didn't read up enough or I didn't ask enough questions ... I don't know.

I suggest you don't get obsessed with pelvic floor exercises at this stage as it got me down thinking this will solve the problem ( still do them obviously but don't worry about qty and timings )  

IT WILL GET BETTER , but it can take a long time ( X amount as it varies from man to man ) so you need to prepare, I booked a session with an incontinence nurse and she organised free TENA pads for me, which I was using 10 a day at one stage. If you can't get Pads on subscription go to the Incontinence Supermarket online, they deliver next day and prices cannot be beaten 

Chin up mate, don't let it get you down , it will get better, I am also lucky to have a very supportive wife too. 

Me personally ( remember everyone is different)  , after the Catheter removed  1 month 10 Pads , 3 months  4 pads , 9 months 1 pad , I still have to use pads if I go out for a drink or I'd come home very wet.

Trev    

User
Posted 31 Mar 2023 at 14:13

Thanks Trev reassuring to now that I'm not alone with the volume of water been leaked. I work in a shop so right now going back isn't an option at this point. Like everybody has said give it time.

Paul 

User
Posted 07 Apr 2023 at 09:19

Paul Edwards

Same here. I had my catheter removed yesterday - Thank God. As soon as I sat up I was spouting all over the floor. The nurse was brilliant - said this was normal & was a good sign. I was then given a large pad to wear.
At the moment I have absolutely no urinary control which is pretty much what I expected. The hospital gave me some large pads which I will use at night & I got some regular pads from Asda for during the day. I think yesterday I went through about 7 pads. 
I have noticed every time I stand up I wee, so I now have a bucket in the bedroom & other containers strategically placed around the house.
I know from reading on this site that things will improve over time - that’s what keeps my chin up.

User
Posted 07 Apr 2023 at 09:54

Try doing a pre-contraction each time you're abut to do something that causes a leak. It might not help much initially, but it will help to make it instinctive, which helps longer term.