I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Husband's fluctuating PSA

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 09:26

Hi there. I am concerned about my husband's PSA results. He is 54 years old. In November he had a PSA reading of 4.3, but due to the holidays etc he only saw the GP at the end of January. His PSA test was also 4.3. The GP prescribed a course of antibiotics and it dropped to 4.03 in February. After yet another course of antibiotics( each course was 7 days) as the GP wanted to ensure the readings were going down, we were shocked when the reading was 5.7. Clearly there wasn't an infection?

The GP immediately referred him to a urologist on Tuesday next week. Needless to say I am terrified. Years ago he did have prostatitis, but nothing since. As with many men of his age he also gets up twice a night to go to the bathroom. 

Any insights into this fluctuating PSA test result over such a short time? Thank you!

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 16:47
Sometimes a UTI can be very difficult to overcome, despite various antibiotics having been tried I trust that your husband's GP ordered a 'culture' rather than just a 'dip test'. It will be down to the urologist to decide what to do next or suggest nothing until a further PSA test is done. Let us know how he gets on.
Barry
User
Posted 03 Apr 2023 at 01:44
Probably worth nagging them for a MP MRI regardless as those figures are too high for a 55 year old UNLESS it's an infection.
User
Posted 03 Apr 2023 at 06:47

Thanks Barry. I hate to say it but the GP didn't check for any infection before he prescribed antibiotics- based on the reading he immediately put him on antibiotics.

User
Posted 03 Apr 2023 at 06:48

I think that the urologist is going to do a scan, so hopefully that will shed some light on everything. Thanks so much for the response.

User
Posted 04 Apr 2023 at 15:49
Husband saw urologist today. I was a bit taken aback as he barely spoke 2 words to him. He asked if his dad had died of prostate cancer, did he have diabetes and did it burn when he urinated. There was no examination, no discussion of his PSA results. The latest PSA was actually 5.2, not 5.7 as my husband had thought, but I suppose that's not relevant.

Anyway, all the dr did was book my husband in for an MRI tomorrow, and sent him for kidney function blood tests (Is this standard?). So we wait...However I did say to mu husband that if we ever needed something in the future, I would rather go to the urology hospital in another town. I know that it becomes a "sausage factory" for the doctors, but for the ordinary stressed patient and family, I do believe he has to see each patient as a human being in front of him. For what he charged for barely a 10 minute consultation, we left feeling very unsettled.

User
Posted 17 Apr 2023 at 19:06

Does your husband have any symptoms? My husband, same age 54, had PSA reading if 4.7 during a routine medical, was referred to urologist who sent him for an mri, which was inconclusive, then a transperineal biopsy which came back clear. His PSA was 3.2 the day before his biopsy. Now 6 months later his PSA is 6.99, needless to say I'm very concerned. The urologist did say he had a large prostate so I'm clinging to that fact and hope it's not bad news.

He has no symptoms, no urinary problems etc.