I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Does locally advanced result in no nerve sparing?

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 15:22

Hi all

These may be some ridiculously silly questions so I apologise if I’m being a bit of a numpty!

Does locally advanced automatically mean that an RP is likely to be none nerve sparing?

If the surgery doesn’t manage to spare the nerves I understand there will never be spontaneous erections but does a pump work for the purpose of marital fun, for ever. Or is it absolutely necessary to have penile injections? I have read that the injections can result in painful erections, is that always the case?

I also read that 100% of nerve sparing on one side of the prostate has a more successful outcome, with regards to ED, than 50% sparing on both sides. Are these kinds of things discussed with the surgeon pre-op?

My head is absolutely battered from all the reading….🥴

Sorry again if I’m asking stupid questions, I’m just trying to get all the info I can, from people who have first hand experience, rather than from medical documentation, before making my decision on my treatment route. 

Thank you

Greg. 

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 22:38

I think it's difficult to obtain good data for erectile function after treatments.

The NPCA sends their post treatment questionnaire out 18 months after diagnosis and assumes your treatment is finished by then. For patients on RT+HT, that's unlikely. Since they don't ascertain if you are still on HT or under the effects of HT when you answer the questions about erectile function, their data on this is completely useless (it's going to show worse results than are really the case).

Like many patients on RT+HT, I was still on HT when I had to fill the questionnaire in, so my erectile function was not good at that point. However, now that I have completed treatment and fully recovered from the HT, my erectile function is exactly the same as it was before treatment. (Not everyone is so lucky.) Since my questionnaire would have given a misleading answer at the point when I had to fill it in, I didn't bother returning it.

I had a talk with NPCA at the time, and they said I might get another questionnaire a year later. I didn't, but that also would have been too soon in any case. I talked with them about this issue, and it had never occurred to them that treatment wouldn't be finished 18 months after diagnosis and the data they were collecting was meaningless. I was exceeding unimpressed with them.

On the timeframe for ED after RT, I had quite a detailed conversation about this with one of (if not the) UK expert. His view is that if you're going to get ED from the radiotherapy, it will start within 2 years of the treatment, and slowly get worse over several years afterwards. If you get to 2 years after RT without any reduction in erectile function then any later ED you get is not due to the RT. However, it's complicated by the HT, which can also cause permanent ED via different mechanisms - penile physio is the best protection against that, but not guaranteed to provide complete protection - it will help against fibrosis (shinkage, Peyronie's), but not possible smooth muscle loss caused by loss of Testosterone which can cause loss of erections via venous leak. Like Lyn, I haven't come across anyone who lost the erectile function according to this RT loss pattern, which makes me think ED due to RT is rarer than the stats claim, probably because of poor data collection like that of the NPCA. ED due to HT and not doing penile physio is probably more significant, and largely avoidable by explaining to patients on HT they must do penile physio if they want to preserve their erectile function after HT.

Edited by member 02 Apr 2023 at 22:42  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Apr 2023 at 01:35
Interesting you are a T3A and a 3+3 and 55 I was the same when I had my Prostatectomy. My G score remained the same at 3+3 so much for G6 not escaping the capsule!

My attitude definitely was to "get it out" and I haven't changed my mind in 8 years, there is something reassuring about knowing the offending parr is no longer there. This is despite serious complications at the time and having a small persistent PSA. All other functions are back to normal if slightly "flaky".

Good look with your choices..

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 19:20

There are no silly questions - if you're wondering about something, it's a valid question.

T3 doesn't automatically mean no nerve sparing - it will depend where the cancer is close to the surface or breaches the surface of the prostate. However, the most common place for prostate cancer is where the erection nerves are, but often only on one side. So you would need to ask the surgeon how likely they think nerve sparing is in your particular case. Of course, there are no guarantees of nerve sparing, or that erections will work even with full nerve sparing.

Some people successfully use the pump for sex, but I think it has to be said, most people don't find it very satisfactory for that. It is most useful for penile rehabilitation (preventing damage caused by not having erections for an extended period) and limiting or reversing loss of size, so still well worth having.

There are two drugs currently used for injections, and one of them can cause pain in some people. The other drug doesn't as far as I know, but there's only one product available using that. That matters because all the injections and other products for non working nerves seem to take it in turns to go unavailable. Also, NHS is likely to limit you to 1 per week. Another option if erections are lost is a penile implant, which replaces the erectile tissue in the penis with either a permanent erection which can be bent out of the way when not required, or an inflatable implant which enables an erection to be pumped up when required. You need to be in good health to have these fitted, and not a smoker.

I don't know about the 50/100% question. Since the erection nerves are not really visible and don't always follow the same path, the idea that the surgeon accurately knows how much were saved is a bit questionable. There are cases where the surgeon says there was no nerve sparing but erectile function recovers, but probably more cases where there is full nerve sparing, but it doesn't recover.

Given sexual function is important to you, have you considered radiotherapy? That is less likely to damage erectile function, but there are no guarantees with any of the treatment options. If radiotherapy does damage erectile function, it usually starts slowly within 2 years of treatment and gets progressively worse. You are a bit young for radiotherapy, but I did it at age 57 partly for this reason (I would have been non nerve sparing). 3½ years after treatment, urinary function and erections work exactly like they did before treatment. I do have some minor rectal bleeding, but it's painless and has no impact on quality of life.

Don't hold back with any more questions - that's the main purpose of the forum.

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 21:02

As Andy says there are no silly questions on here…everyone is incredibly helpful and knowledgable  ….and you can ask about anything and everything.
Andy made one point that interests(and saddens me I suppose although staying alive is more important!). If erectile function after RT tends to start within 2 years (if it’s going to happen)  and gets worse, those who have 2 years of HT following RT, followed by perhaps another 1-2 years to get your libido back, may never have that ‘pleasure’ again😟

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 22:10
Except RT does not always lead to ED - the position 'RT can lead to ED around 3-5 years down the line is commonly quoted on this forum but I have never seen it anywhere else. What is commonly reported in research papers is that RT can lead to ED some 5-10 years later and it is only a 'can' not a 'will always'.

In relation to nerve-sparing - EU data suggests that erectile recovery is more or less identical for men with full nerve sparing, partial nerve sparing and unilateral nerve sparing.

As it happens, John had 50% nerve sparing 13 years ago and then salvage RT 11 years ago. He has no mechanical ED although he does struggle emotionally and often loses his erection during the act (if he hasn't used an injection)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 22:40
One thing Greg, you will feel much better once you’ve made your decision. In the end all the decisions were taken out of my hand but it’s been a long and frustrating journey of a year before I finally start 20 sessions of RT on Wednesday…..hopefully!🤞🤞🤞🤞

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Derek

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 22:53

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I still have not decided which treatment to take yet. I am leaning toward surgery but perhaps for the wrong reasons. I was going to choose surgery because:

a) I can fall back on RT if required

b) My family has a history of colorectal cancer so I’m afraid of the consequences of RT too soon.

c) I will need a treatment that can be reasonably quick so I can return to taking my biological injection for autoimmune arthritis, before too much damage is done to my joints.

I think your logical approach is very sensible. I don't necessarily believe in a), except where the patient is young and thus is looking for 20+ years remission, which is quite an ask for one treatment. So having a second treatment available to boost your remission is a good idea if you're younger. b) is a good point too.

User
Posted 03 Apr 2023 at 08:05
One thing to bear in mind, Greg, is that surgical treatment of T3 cancer is highly likely to require follow-up RT, and then you're left with the side-effects of both surgery and RT rather than those of RT alone. It might be better to go for the RT in the first place?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 03 Apr 2023 at 18:34
I had 3 yrs HT (ZOLADEX) included in that 2yrs abiraterone/enzalutimide/prednisolone on trial, with 37 sessions of RT to prostate and pelvis. Treatment started Nov 2015. Suffered all expected side effects and it did take a while to "recover" but did recover fully, no issues with ED etc & have to admit I wasn't aware of the penile physio for some reason at the time&thankfully no problem up to now anyway 5yrs after treatment finished. My initial diagnosis was psa 21 gleason 8 locally advanced, just, to seminal vescles, went to gleason 9 afer turp in May 2016. All good so far.

Peter

User
Posted 03 Apr 2023 at 18:59

Thanks Peter

Really pleased for you, it’s great to read success stories. 
Cheers

Greg 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 19:20

There are no silly questions - if you're wondering about something, it's a valid question.

T3 doesn't automatically mean no nerve sparing - it will depend where the cancer is close to the surface or breaches the surface of the prostate. However, the most common place for prostate cancer is where the erection nerves are, but often only on one side. So you would need to ask the surgeon how likely they think nerve sparing is in your particular case. Of course, there are no guarantees of nerve sparing, or that erections will work even with full nerve sparing.

Some people successfully use the pump for sex, but I think it has to be said, most people don't find it very satisfactory for that. It is most useful for penile rehabilitation (preventing damage caused by not having erections for an extended period) and limiting or reversing loss of size, so still well worth having.

There are two drugs currently used for injections, and one of them can cause pain in some people. The other drug doesn't as far as I know, but there's only one product available using that. That matters because all the injections and other products for non working nerves seem to take it in turns to go unavailable. Also, NHS is likely to limit you to 1 per week. Another option if erections are lost is a penile implant, which replaces the erectile tissue in the penis with either a permanent erection which can be bent out of the way when not required, or an inflatable implant which enables an erection to be pumped up when required. You need to be in good health to have these fitted, and not a smoker.

I don't know about the 50/100% question. Since the erection nerves are not really visible and don't always follow the same path, the idea that the surgeon accurately knows how much were saved is a bit questionable. There are cases where the surgeon says there was no nerve sparing but erectile function recovers, but probably more cases where there is full nerve sparing, but it doesn't recover.

Given sexual function is important to you, have you considered radiotherapy? That is less likely to damage erectile function, but there are no guarantees with any of the treatment options. If radiotherapy does damage erectile function, it usually starts slowly within 2 years of treatment and gets progressively worse. You are a bit young for radiotherapy, but I did it at age 57 partly for this reason (I would have been non nerve sparing). 3½ years after treatment, urinary function and erections work exactly like they did before treatment. I do have some minor rectal bleeding, but it's painless and has no impact on quality of life.

Don't hold back with any more questions - that's the main purpose of the forum.

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 20:59

Hi Andy

Thank you for such a detailed response, I am very grateful. 
Sexual function is important to me but I won’t let it stand in the way of choosing the correct treatment for eradicating my particular cancer (as in position, size, spread etc). 
I’m trying to keep that main aim of being cancer free foremost in my mind and trying to prepare myself to just deal with the after effects as they arrive  

I have two lesions, one 13mm on the left and one 27mm on the right. It was the right which gave the positive result on biopsy. It had 18 cores taken and the left only had approximately 6. I say approximately as the diagnosis sheet I got from the hospital said the exact number taken from the left was unknown! I’ve no idea how that could happen? I guess the left could also have positive regions but it’s the larger right one that has extensive capsule contact, according to the notes. 
I also see a lot of Gleason scores are upgraded after prostate removal. 

I still have not decided which treatment to take yet. I am leaning toward surgery but perhaps for the wrong reasons. I was going to choose surgery because:

b) My family has a history of colorectal cancer so I’m afraid of the consequences of RT too soon. 

c) I will need a treatment that can be reasonably quick so I can return to taking my biological injection for autoimmune arthritis, before too much damage is done to my joints. 

I’m trying to build enough knowledge to take into my next appointment on Thursday, where I’ll get the results of the bone scan. 

You’ve given me plenty to think about and more questions to ask on Thursday. Thank you for that. 

The thing I just can’t get out of my mind is the locally advanced part. It’s just going round and round my head on a loop. I wish I had started on this road 12 months ago when my symptoms first started (frequency and urgency to urinate). 
The consultant said that my cancer is low grade and as I’m only a Gleason 6 I don’t suppose a year would have made a massive difference? Yet I keep thinking maybe it would still have been localised. Sigh. Shut up brain :)

Thank you again Andy and take care

All the best

Greg. 

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 21:02

As Andy says there are no silly questions on here…everyone is incredibly helpful and knowledgable  ….and you can ask about anything and everything.
Andy made one point that interests(and saddens me I suppose although staying alive is more important!). If erectile function after RT tends to start within 2 years (if it’s going to happen)  and gets worse, those who have 2 years of HT following RT, followed by perhaps another 1-2 years to get your libido back, may never have that ‘pleasure’ again😟

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 21:10

Hi Decho

I did read (in Mulhall’s book) that RT had the same ED results as RP but that RT just has it delayed between 3-5 years as opposed to immediately following RP. 
His argument was that centres (private in the US) that sold their RT services as being much more successful at avoiding ED were basing their figures on 12 months after the RT had been completed. 
Interestingly he also stresses, many times in the book, that nobody should ever choose a treatment with the sole goal of preserving sexual function. 

So many things going round and round my head. Driving me nuts! :)
Cheers

Greg. 

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 22:10
Except RT does not always lead to ED - the position 'RT can lead to ED around 3-5 years down the line is commonly quoted on this forum but I have never seen it anywhere else. What is commonly reported in research papers is that RT can lead to ED some 5-10 years later and it is only a 'can' not a 'will always'.

In relation to nerve-sparing - EU data suggests that erectile recovery is more or less identical for men with full nerve sparing, partial nerve sparing and unilateral nerve sparing.

As it happens, John had 50% nerve sparing 13 years ago and then salvage RT 11 years ago. He has no mechanical ED although he does struggle emotionally and often loses his erection during the act (if he hasn't used an injection)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 22:20

Thank you Lyn, that’s very interesting. 

The takeaway with all aspects of PCa is that everybody is different and unique, I guess. 
I’ve read and spoken to some people with absolutely fantastic success stories and others that have not done so well and are still fighting their battle. 
I have a friend that recently was determined to have a RP then after speaking with the radiotherapist for over an hour, changed his mind and went the RT route. 
I’m hoping I can have similar conversations in the hospital this week so I can finally decide, set my mind to rest and start out on my treatment journey. 

‘Cos at the minute it’s driving me crazy, wondering, waiting and suffering the terror of indecision. 🥴

Thank you :)

Greg 

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 22:38

I think it's difficult to obtain good data for erectile function after treatments.

The NPCA sends their post treatment questionnaire out 18 months after diagnosis and assumes your treatment is finished by then. For patients on RT+HT, that's unlikely. Since they don't ascertain if you are still on HT or under the effects of HT when you answer the questions about erectile function, their data on this is completely useless (it's going to show worse results than are really the case).

Like many patients on RT+HT, I was still on HT when I had to fill the questionnaire in, so my erectile function was not good at that point. However, now that I have completed treatment and fully recovered from the HT, my erectile function is exactly the same as it was before treatment. (Not everyone is so lucky.) Since my questionnaire would have given a misleading answer at the point when I had to fill it in, I didn't bother returning it.

I had a talk with NPCA at the time, and they said I might get another questionnaire a year later. I didn't, but that also would have been too soon in any case. I talked with them about this issue, and it had never occurred to them that treatment wouldn't be finished 18 months after diagnosis and the data they were collecting was meaningless. I was exceeding unimpressed with them.

On the timeframe for ED after RT, I had quite a detailed conversation about this with one of (if not the) UK expert. His view is that if you're going to get ED from the radiotherapy, it will start within 2 years of the treatment, and slowly get worse over several years afterwards. If you get to 2 years after RT without any reduction in erectile function then any later ED you get is not due to the RT. However, it's complicated by the HT, which can also cause permanent ED via different mechanisms - penile physio is the best protection against that, but not guaranteed to provide complete protection - it will help against fibrosis (shinkage, Peyronie's), but not possible smooth muscle loss caused by loss of Testosterone which can cause loss of erections via venous leak. Like Lyn, I haven't come across anyone who lost the erectile function according to this RT loss pattern, which makes me think ED due to RT is rarer than the stats claim, probably because of poor data collection like that of the NPCA. ED due to HT and not doing penile physio is probably more significant, and largely avoidable by explaining to patients on HT they must do penile physio if they want to preserve their erectile function after HT.

Edited by member 02 Apr 2023 at 22:42  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 22:40
One thing Greg, you will feel much better once you’ve made your decision. In the end all the decisions were taken out of my hand but it’s been a long and frustrating journey of a year before I finally start 20 sessions of RT on Wednesday…..hopefully!🤞🤞🤞🤞

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Derek

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 22:44

Thanks Derek

The very best of luck for Wednesday 🤞😊

cheers

Greg 

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 22:49

Thanks for the insights Andy. 

So we’re facing lies, damn lies and statistics. 
It’s a bloody minefield isn’t it. Just got to keep my mind focussed on what’s best for me to hopefully be cancer free. 

Thank you to everyone for such warm and helpful advice and education. I am so glad I joined this community as I don’t know what state I’d be in if I hadn’t. 

Thank you 🙏🏻 

Warmest wishes

Greg. 

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 22:53

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I think your logical approach is very sensible. I don't necessarily believe in a), except where the patient is young and thus is looking for 20+ years remission, which is quite an ask for one treatment. So having a second treatment available to boost your remission is a good idea if you're younger. b) is a good point too.

User
Posted 02 Apr 2023 at 22:57

Thank you Andy
That makes me feel that I’m at least thinking “nearly” straight at the moment. 

Take care

Greg 

User
Posted 03 Apr 2023 at 01:35
Interesting you are a T3A and a 3+3 and 55 I was the same when I had my Prostatectomy. My G score remained the same at 3+3 so much for G6 not escaping the capsule!

My attitude definitely was to "get it out" and I haven't changed my mind in 8 years, there is something reassuring about knowing the offending parr is no longer there. This is despite serious complications at the time and having a small persistent PSA. All other functions are back to normal if slightly "flaky".

Good look with your choices..

User
Posted 03 Apr 2023 at 08:05
One thing to bear in mind, Greg, is that surgical treatment of T3 cancer is highly likely to require follow-up RT, and then you're left with the side-effects of both surgery and RT rather than those of RT alone. It might be better to go for the RT in the first place?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 03 Apr 2023 at 08:45
Checking the nomogram there is only a slightly raised risk T2 to T3A regardless of G score. T3B or N1 is what significantly increases risk after RP.
User
Posted 03 Apr 2023 at 09:34

Thanks Francij and Chris

Yes Chris, i have thought about the RT straight after RP .. which is why I am wondering if I should just go for RT straight off. This is one of the things I’m going to ask the consultant on Thursday. 
My initial feeling francij, is definitely to get it out!

cheers

Greg. 

User
Posted 03 Apr 2023 at 18:34
I had 3 yrs HT (ZOLADEX) included in that 2yrs abiraterone/enzalutimide/prednisolone on trial, with 37 sessions of RT to prostate and pelvis. Treatment started Nov 2015. Suffered all expected side effects and it did take a while to "recover" but did recover fully, no issues with ED etc & have to admit I wasn't aware of the penile physio for some reason at the time&thankfully no problem up to now anyway 5yrs after treatment finished. My initial diagnosis was psa 21 gleason 8 locally advanced, just, to seminal vescles, went to gleason 9 afer turp in May 2016. All good so far.

Peter

User
Posted 03 Apr 2023 at 18:59

Thanks Peter

Really pleased for you, it’s great to read success stories. 
Cheers

Greg