I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Docetaxal side effects

User
Posted 04 Apr 2023 at 19:31

I am just about to start 6 cycles of docetaxal.  I'm on Decapeptyl hormone treatment which has been very effective.  I've had 7 months of apalutimide but it appears to have stopped working as my PSA is starting to go up.  Does anyone have experience of docetaxal side effects?  Will I be completely knocked out?

User
Posted 04 Apr 2023 at 22:30

Hi there.  I am just about to have number 4 or 10 chemos using Docetaxel.  I have had quite a number of side effects over each 3 week cycle and so far have found each cycle slightly worse than the last.  This was even accounting for a slight decrease in dose at the last cycle to try and reduce side effects.  The main issues have been pain, fatigue, nausea, peripheral neuropathy and muscle cramps.  These have been the worst ones.  I have also had pretty bad headaches which I think are Chemo related.  I know however there are folks who have this type of chemo and have almost no side effects.  Fingers crossed you fall into that group and not mine lol! 

Good luck with it and sending positive thoughts that it is effective for you. 

Cheers

Michael 

Edited by member 04 Apr 2023 at 22:31  | Reason: Spelling errors

User
Posted 04 Apr 2023 at 23:57
We do have a couple of men on here who managed to continue working full time throughout their docetaxel treatment, and there is Irun who managed to do extreme marathons while on docetaxel but he is superhuman so not a good comparison. My father-in-law was 79 when he had doce and he sailed through it; his biggest issue was his wife not letting him go to the pub on days 5 - 8 in case he got an infection.

There are some things you can do to reduce some of the effects - for example, sucking frozen chunks of fresh pineapple during infusions helps to protect your mouth from ulcers and the horrible metallic taste (don't have pineapple without medical advice if you have heart problems though). Getting your feet & toe nails tip top before you start is a good idea. Some men are desperate not to lose their hair and may be able to use a cold cap but reports on here are that it can be very uncomfortable to wear. Side effects like fatigue are not experienced by everyone but are debilitating for those who do. Infection is the enemy while on chemo so invest in a good quality thermometer and use it; if feeling under the weather and you get a temperature, seek medical advice!

Also be aware that your PSA may rise while on chemo - it is common and does not mean the chemo is failing.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard