I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Good News ,eventually !

User
Posted 05 Apr 2023 at 14:08

Just had a bit of a hiccup with my three monthly consultation on  the  phone .New Indian doctor havnt spoken to him before when I asked what my PSA was as the test was done on Tuesday, (yesterday) he said all he had was the result of a general blood count nothing else no PSA result .OH dear I would need to have it taken again ,after we finished the call my wife contacted our wonderful Macmillian nurse who is superb and has been all the three years we have been under the Oncology team.Within 5 mins the doctor rang back apologised and said Helen the nurse had pointed out the results came back in two parts and he had missed the second part PSA still undetectable after getting on for three years phew relief and everything looking good .Read my profile for full journey just thrilled to be here eating my Easter  chocolate bunnie ! 

User
Posted 05 Apr 2023 at 23:48

With a doctor like that don't accept undetectable or normal,get the actual result. My PSA results were in the so called undetectable range for nearly two years, at three years I was having salvage RT.

If you have confidence in your Macmillan nurse then that is fine. 

Long may your undetectable continue 👍. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 06 Apr 2023 at 17:15

Great news Librajc.   

I agree with Chris that it's better to know the exact result and that it's less than.  Some hospitals change their undetectable threshold.   Some hospitals have undetectable up to <0.1. 

Another  point is I'm told to have the test one week before the appointment.   I don't know if it's in case it needs discussion or if the lab might have a problem.   The data is usually available only a few hours later so it's a test of will power not to ring.

Regards Peter

Edited by member 06 Apr 2023 at 17:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Apr 2023 at 20:53
Oh we know the actual result is less than 0.01 it has been for the last 3 years now .The doctor was a relief for the normal one on holiday for Easter and wasnt aware there result came in two parts .Our Macmillian nurse is superb all readings and last two scans have been normal with no evidence of cancer although they will never say cured .I'm considered in remission .Seeing I had to have salvage RT am on Enzalutimide and ADT for T3b ,N1 Gleason 4 3 with tertiary 5 and spread to lymph nodes I'm a happy bunny !