I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Generic Abiraterone - availability on NHS?

User
Posted 05 Apr 2023 at 20:57

I am currently privately insured and have been on Abiraterone and Prednisolone (+ Prostap + Zoledronic Acid) since September 2022 (I was diagnosed in July/August 22). My body seems to be coping well with it. I was an early diagnosis of advanced metastatic cancer with limited mets (in my rectal lymph nodes).

My PMI is already expensive and is like to get much more so. My Abiraterone switched from the branded Zytiga to the Generic Abiraterone (by Sandoz) around October/November 22 and the cost to my insurance company dropped from about £3,700 per month to about £3,100 per month.

Does anyone have any information on the likelihood of Abiraterone being available on the NHS in England either now or in the future? I read a paper online from the Royal Berkshire Hospital saying that the NHS was switching from Zytiga to Generic Abi but it wasn’t clear to me whether that means it is available more widely on the NHS. I’ve spoken with guys more advance than me whose oncologists have persuaded the NHS to pick up the tab having started with private medical insurance.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2023 at 23:16
Abiraterone has been available on the NHS for a number of years, for men who meet the criteria.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Apr 2023 at 06:56

Thanks Lyn (and generally for your amazing support on this Forum)

That’s what I understand but the criteria are for men with very advanced cancer that has spread significantly (I think).

I don’t meet those criteria but am someone benefitting from the findings of the STAMPEDE trial in showing Abiraterone is beneficial given in my situation. The hope is that I can tolerate it for a few years. So unless NICE change the criteria, as I see it, I face mounting costs in keeping the cancer at bay or will have to wait until the cancer has spread to qualify (but by that stage presumably would be Castration Resistant for that to happen - a sort of Catch-22).

There has been a drop in the cost so I was hoping someone might know if that position is going to be reassessed.

This was from an UCL NHS Hospital’s Trust Press release 17th January 2022 

“STAMPEDE continues to deliver practice-changing results. Currently, abiraterone is only given to patients with very advanced prostate cancer. Our latest findings are the first to show the drug can also benefit men whose cancer is at an earlier stage - improving survival and reducing the chance of progression. The next step is for NICE to consider and implement our findings, so that men can benefit from abiraterone before their cancer has spread, drastically improving their quality of life and preventing many unnecessary deaths.”

User
Posted 06 Apr 2023 at 08:43
I will be interested to see what Andy thinks but you have advanced PCa and should therefore have access to abiraterone on the NHS. It isn't possible to be a little bit advanced or a lot advanced. Naturally your medics aren't going to rush to give you it for free while someone is willing to pick up the bill but there are men all over the country on the same treatment regime as you but not paying.

I wonder what would happen if you said "sorry, my insurance is going to stop so I need to go back into NHS" ..... I am not sure it would be ethical for the ICB / Trust to withdraw treatment that is working (but I could be wrong).

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Apr 2023 at 08:45
By the way, abiraterone costs the NHS about £2100 per month - off licence will be less.

User
Posted 07 Apr 2023 at 13:36

Thanks Lyn