Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Inconclusive bone scan?

User
Posted 09 Apr 2023 at 21:09

Hi everyone,

My dad has recently had a bone scan following an increase in his PSA levels and evidence of his prostate cancer being upgraded to stage T3a.

The bone scan showed 2 'focal points' on his ribs but they were deemed inconclusive, and he is now waiting for a Choline PET scan.

I just wondered how common this is for a bone scan to be inconclusive? My dad is really concerned that these are bone mets but it does appear that further investigation at this stage is needed.

Any information/ words of wisdom much appreciated, as a first time poster!

Thanks

Roz xxx

User
Posted 09 Apr 2023 at 22:56
The bone scan shows areas of new bone growth- sometimes it is clear that these are bone mets but other times, it could be bones repairing from a break, for example. This is particularly true of ribs as older people can frature a rib without realising at the time.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 10 Apr 2023 at 00:10

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
The bone scan shows areas of new bone growth- sometimes it is clear that these are bone mets but other times, it could be bones repairing from a break, for example. This is particularly true of ribs as older people can frature a rib without realising at the time.

Thanks for this response - my dad is 65 and is pretty good health so I'd be surprised if he'd recently broken a rib and was unaware. Though he did get a fair few sports injuries when younger, but we're talking 40 odd years ago.

I'm just trying to find out a bit more as he's very down and anxious and is convinced the cancer has spread.