I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Push bike after operation advice

User
Posted 10 Apr 2023 at 16:05

I had my op 3 months ago. I feel fine and back to normal except for ED and  using 1 pad a day. I want to restart cycling but likely only at a max 1or 2 hours a day, 3 or 4 tines a week. Any advice on after effects, will it undo my good work with the kegals?

User
Posted 10 Apr 2023 at 19:40
Speak to your surgeon or allocated nurse before getting back on a bike. Different surgeons have different views on this; when my husband had his RP he was under strict instructions not to ride a bike for at least 6 months but I know that other members here were given shorter timescales. It isn’t so much about continence; it is about giving yourself the best chance of recovering erectile function - our surgeon said “what is the point of me spending all that effort saving your nerves if you don’t give them the best chance of repairing?” John is a keen cyclist and found it frustrating at times but he did give it the full 6 months. Others here have been back cycling within weeks although I couldn’t tell you what proportion have persistent ED, if any.

You can help yourself by buying a prostate-friendly saddle.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Aug 2023 at 13:14

After Nanoknife treatment my doctor advised 4-6 weeks before getting on my bike (though I think he said longer initially). I'd guess it'd be longer with more invasive treatment.

Interestingly, after the biopsy (which is a similar, though not so substantive as the Nanoknife) I was told when it was comfortable. That took about a week

User
Posted 08 Aug 2023 at 21:07

I'm 10 months post op,  kept off my bike for 6 months after being advised by consultant. Before starting back on the bike I had a saddle fit but still not 100% comfortable so still experimenting with saddles and position 

User
Posted 08 Aug 2023 at 21:35

I suppose that’s one advantage of going down the HT/RT route….been able to keep cycling throughout treatment with no problems.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2023 at 08:59

I was advised by my surgeon 6 weeks if using a saddle with a perineal cutout.

It was one of my questions at the initial consultation and seems to be the standard in Oxford as it was also printed in the literature I was given on discharge. (I don't have ED).

Edited by member 10 Aug 2023 at 09:00  | Reason: Not specified

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2023 at 21:34

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I suppose that’s one advantage of going down the HT/RT route….been able to keep cycling throughout treatment with no problems.

Oddly, as a post HT/RT person, I've been having some minor traces of blood in my urine after riding recently. No UTI detected so I'm wondering if an RT battered prostate might be rather more sensitive to physical damage than a normal one.

Jules

User
Posted 10 Aug 2023 at 22:07

Hi Jules,

Sorry to hear that…do you do a lot of cycling? I’ve never encountered any discomfort since RT…I. Normally cycle twice a week on my ebike maybe doing 30-50  miles each time. Have you got a prostate friendly saddle?

Im more troubled by the effects of HT than RT but Going out on my ebike is one thing I am so glad I am still able to do….it really  gives me a buzz😊

Derek

User
Posted 11 Aug 2023 at 08:08

I'm in a very similar situation to you Derek. I rode quite regularly before RT/HT, though it annoyed me that the HT knocked a lot of strength out of me, so, I'm now on an e-bike and it's a lot of fun. It's de-restricted so I still get power assist above 25kmh/15mph.

I think the saddle is the problem. Well padded Selle Italia with a cutout along the middle BUT it still has something of a snout that feels as though it could be the issue. Oh well, a new saddle isn't too much of a problem.

Jules

User
Posted 11 Aug 2023 at 10:28

I switched to a saddle with nothing under the perineum. Actually, nothing under anywhere except your sit bones, so you can't sit on the wrong bits. It took a few rides to get used to it and get it adjusted just right, but been using them for 4 years now. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0957HZ1JG/

The debate about ED and cycling goes on forever. Some research found a very strong correlation in those who cycle frequently, particularly more than 3h per week. You probably want to guard against sitting on the nerves or blood supply and sending vibration into those tissues. Other research finds no correlation.

User
Posted 11 Aug 2023 at 21:20

I switched to a saddle with nothing under the perineum. Actually, nothing under anywhere except your sit bones, so you can't sit on the wrong bits. It took a few rides to get used to it and get it adjusted just right, but been using them for 4 years now. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0957HZ1JG/

The debate about ED and cycling goes on forever. Some research found a very strong correlation in those who cycle frequently, particularly more than 3h per week. You probably want to guard against sitting on the nerves or blood supply and sending vibration into those tissues. Other research finds no correlation.

I like the Specialized Sitero and have it on my three most used bikes (road, gravel and indoor). But I prefer the price of Andy's 😂

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/sitero/p/187378?color=300506-187378 

There's a lot of saddles with perineal cutout these days.

_____

User
Posted 15 Aug 2023 at 19:03

Before prostatectomy (robotic keyhole) I loved cycling, I'd do 40-50 miles on MTB  (round south Herts bridleways so not that extreme)  and some days cycle from Watford to work in London for fun.   After the op I had a lot of general discomfort  (sore balls, pain in penis and perineum) for some time so didn't even think of bike until 7 or 8 months after (op was autumn 2019).  I just kept walking 3-5 miles a day. When I tried bike again it was OK but would be sometimes a bit sore riding and uncomfortable after. I had to stop (another story had to pick up a motorbike that fell off stand and nothing felt right for weeks after. Then it was wet and winter, I couldn't face starting ). Tried again 2021 gave up as not comfortable. In 2022 I started again surgeon said try and push through it, which I did and it worked, and I kept going through winter even.  I'd feel some discomfort after riding but it got less and less.  Now I'm up to 50km around roads of South Devon (a lot more up and down than  Watford St Albans area) and it feels fine, and generally discomfort has gone . I'm not going as far as I used to but  I was 59 when I had the surgery and at that age it takes time to regain fitness after a long lay off.

It took lots of experiments with seats and riding position and patience , building up and accepting some discomfort  at first

Originally had Fizik saddle that was a no-no. Tried an ISM seat which was good to start. Now I use a Specialized Power expert which is more conventional but with a big cut out and is comfy

I treated myself to new Scott Scale (hard tail) carbon MTB in 2022. That brought back the discomfort after riding,  changing to shorter stem and bars with a bit more rise helped but mostly just getting used to new  riding position. After several weeks it was fine. 2023 I tried road bike (Trek Domane which is endurance geometry and pretty compliant). Sure enough was a bit uncomfortable afterwards but soon settled, now I find that much  the better option, despite the skinny tyres. The weight difference is a revelation!

I suppose the story is be guided by your body but don't give up, take your time

User
Posted 15 Aug 2023 at 19:51

Now I use a Specialized Power expert which is more conventional but with a big cut out and is comfy

I googled that saddle and it looks almost exactly the same as the Sitero that I use, but with a slightly longer "nose". Works very well for me. 😃

Edited by member 15 Aug 2023 at 19:51  | Reason: Not specified

_____