I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Leaking when lifting heavy objects

User
Posted 14 Apr 2023 at 07:18

Can anyone advise please I am 8 months since surgery and I do not leak during the day or at night but I have noticed when lifting a heavy item I do leak through to my jeans does this get better or is it as good as it gets cheers greg

User
Posted 14 Apr 2023 at 13:29
I happen to be among the minority who, following a robotic prostatctomy and salvage radiotherapy in 2009 got lumbered with permanent bladder incontinence.

So now, when it comes to heavy lifting, I'm obliged to resort to all kinds of tricks to avoid it, such as 'walking' furniture, rolling large boxed items, ordering 10 kg bags of dishwasher salt instead of 25kg bags, etc etc.

The outcome is I very rarely need to lift anything nowadays, so it's not really a problem.

User
Posted 14 Apr 2023 at 13:38
So long as you are generally continent it should keep getting better.. after 8 years I still have the odd moment usually twisting rather than lifting.

"Bracing" before a lift helped me in the past, basically clamp your pelvic floor and hold it while you are lifting.

User
Posted 14 Apr 2023 at 13:53
This is called stress incontinence - either restart pelvic floor exercises or, if you have been doing them consistently since your RP, ask for a referral to a physiotherapist who can check you are doing them correctly.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 21:50

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Used to, don't anymore, but I love my wife to much to trust my sphincter for oral climax!

The mark of a true gentleman 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Apr 2023 at 13:29
I happen to be among the minority who, following a robotic prostatctomy and salvage radiotherapy in 2009 got lumbered with permanent bladder incontinence.

So now, when it comes to heavy lifting, I'm obliged to resort to all kinds of tricks to avoid it, such as 'walking' furniture, rolling large boxed items, ordering 10 kg bags of dishwasher salt instead of 25kg bags, etc etc.

The outcome is I very rarely need to lift anything nowadays, so it's not really a problem.

User
Posted 14 Apr 2023 at 13:38
So long as you are generally continent it should keep getting better.. after 8 years I still have the odd moment usually twisting rather than lifting.

"Bracing" before a lift helped me in the past, basically clamp your pelvic floor and hold it while you are lifting.

User
Posted 14 Apr 2023 at 13:53
This is called stress incontinence - either restart pelvic floor exercises or, if you have been doing them consistently since your RP, ask for a referral to a physiotherapist who can check you are doing them correctly.

User
Posted 15 Apr 2023 at 21:04
Greg, one of the main things I have got from this forum is that every man is different in his recovery from surgery. None of us can compare ourselves to a "norm".

Most likely this is how it is for you - though at 8 months there is the chance of further improvement. I have come to accept that although I don't leak at night I can during the day. I don't much if I am static, but I prefer a reasonably active lifestyle so I always wear a pad and occasionally need two. I can usually rationalise in retrospect why some days are more leaky, but it doesn't change my behaviour, I do what I want to.

Curiously for me, leakage is rarely while I am actually doing some lifting. What seems to happen is that such activities - forcing the surviving sphincter to work hard against the raised abdominal pressure - make the sphincter tire later in the day and leak. And while some activities that do that are predictable, like gardening, others are ones that you don't think of at the time like bracing yourself to reach in a particular direction when doing some decorating.

Good luck! There is lots of life after surgery.

User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 08:03

Thanks for your input it is exactly where I am with things. Never thought about the odd leak in the evening when things are tired. I think I am finding it hard that I am not back to my normal self and keep winding myself up when I have the odd leak, at 53 and always being fit it drives me mad. Thanks again for replying. Greg.

User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 20:36

I wonder whether those who have contributed above leak when sexually excited. I do and it is a nuisance but you just learn and you your imagination to deal with it. 

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 20:56
Used to, don't anymore, but I love my wife to much to trust my sphincter for oral climax!
User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 20:57

Yes, Pratap. I find that to be by far the biggest nuisance of incontinence. I can cope okay with the odd drip here and there and a good bit more than the odd drip on long walks. But this is difficult to deal with. I do the obvious thing and empty my bladder before starting but this isn't enough. Mechanically it seems difficult to explain why it happens. Is it the sphincter thinking it is still downstream of the prostate and getting ready for ejaculation?

User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 21:42
ChrisB that sounds a plausible explanation. There are two sphincters, the one at the exit of the bladder is surrounded by the top of the prostate so typically gets damaged during surgery - leaving us reliant on the lower sphincter below the prostate where the urethra goes through the pelvic floor. But of course during ejaculation (pre-surgery) the body has to keep the top sphincter closed and open the bottom one. Which fits with your suggestion.
User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 21:50

The mark of a true gentleman 

User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 21:55
John is completely continent apart from during intercourse. He doesn't seem to have realised and I haven't the heart to tell him so I give a small wipe as I start oral sex and then 'playfully' stop / revert to penetrative sex or a hand job before he reaches orgasm.

We did have a member here who wore condoms to prevent urinating on his partner during intercourse / oral sex

User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 23:37

so I give a small wipe as I start oral sex

Mark of a true lady!