Notification

Error

PSA doubled in 6 months

User
Posted 15 Apr 2023 at 14:40

My husbands history:

1/9/22  -  4.7

28/9/22 MRI pi rads 4

5/10/22 - PSA 3.27.  Biopsy (trans peroneal) Clear. Was told he had a very large prostate, I don't have dimensions.

This week  (24/4/23)just before his 6 month follow up his PSA is 6.99, more than double what it was last October.  I'm very worried about this big rise, he has no symptoms of infection or any prostate problems at all. My big concern is that maybe cancer was missed in the biopsies, which I know can happen. He did have a flu virus in the week before the blood test, may or may not have been Covid, could that affect the results? Either way I know he'll just have to wait for his appointment and see what the experts say, but just thought I'd get some opinions here.

Edited by member 16 Apr 2023 at 17:48  | Reason: Left out word

User
Posted 15 Apr 2023 at 18:17
An accidental clear biopsy is a risk with the more basic TRUS biopsy but not so much with a biopsy following mpMRI. Your husband's biopsy cores will have been taken from the suspicious area so very unlikely to be wrong.

One of the problems with BPH and prostatitis is that PSA can rise quite sharply (and fall again) - I don't think you need to panic
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 15 Apr 2023 at 18:45

If he had COVID, this is recognised for temporarily pushing PSA up significantly.

Variation of Serum PSA Levels in COVID-19 Infected Male Patients with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH): A Prospective Cohort Studys

Another test in 2-4 weeks would show if it's still going up, or recovering after a temporary increase.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Apr 2023 at 18:17
An accidental clear biopsy is a risk with the more basic TRUS biopsy but not so much with a biopsy following mpMRI. Your husband's biopsy cores will have been taken from the suspicious area so very unlikely to be wrong.

One of the problems with BPH and prostatitis is that PSA can rise quite sharply (and fall again) - I don't think you need to panic
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 15 Apr 2023 at 18:45

If he had COVID, this is recognised for temporarily pushing PSA up significantly.

Variation of Serum PSA Levels in COVID-19 Infected Male Patients with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH): A Prospective Cohort Studys

Another test in 2-4 weeks would show if it's still going up, or recovering after a temporary increase.

User
Posted 16 Apr 2023 at 09:42

Thank you for your reply, my common sense is telling me that, so hopefully thats the case xx