I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Reconnection since surgery

User
Posted 16 Apr 2023 at 08:04

First time poster here. Had RP nearly 3 years ago now PSA undetectable. Recovery pretty good no incontensnce and able to get erections although don't always last long enough to completion of act from my perspective. Have been married nearly 31 years but marriage in trouble duei to my mental and emotional health. I have diagnoses of PTSD from before cancer. The wife is very understanding but cannot seem to understand the deep loss I feel as a man. Since our children have sprung the nest, I feel I feel  I have lost purpose and connection. I feel full of doubt and what value is the marriage when I fail to perform and it sends me into a spiral of negative thinking about our marriage and the continuation of it. Although I mechanically can be working I often have no desire or emotional connection whilst lovemsking.  This was always an important part of our marriage and now as we are trying to reconnect as a couple without the kids it isn't really happening since the surgery. I should be looking forward to the future but all I see is a black hole in our relationship. Any help/advice would be appreciated

User
Posted 16 Apr 2023 at 09:15

Hello Andy, sorry to hear you're struggling.

It might be you need some support for your PTSD, and also you both need some support with your marriage.

There is free counselling available from BUPA via Macmillan. I don't suppose that will cover everything, but it might start the ball rolling, and advise in more detail what support you should be looking for and where to get it.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/get-help/emotional-help/bupa-counselling-and-emotional-well-being-support

User
Posted 16 Apr 2023 at 10:28
Don't assume it's all your fault! It takes two. Counselling can help you rationalise your life but it may also completely deconstruct it. The most important thing is that you are happy, restoring your marriage may not be the answer.