I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Treatment without general anaesthetic?

User
Posted 17 Apr 2023 at 20:12

Can anyone advise what treatments are available for localised prostate cancer, without a general anaesthetic?

I mean within UK and preferably with the NHS, but private if necessary. 

I'm aware of EBRT (external beam radiotherapy) but this, being external, has to be aimed at the prostate through the surrounding body tissues.  I'd prefer something more concentrated on the specific location of my cancer.  It's  in just one side lobe of my prostate, 4 cores out of 30 in the biopsy.  But it isn't "indolent" or "low risk".  My PSA has increased from 7 to nearly 9 in a few months.  Gleason 4+3.  No mets or lymph node or vesicle involvement (so far).

An NHS urologist in London was willing to perform focal ablation therapy but this plan was prevented by a separate problem over the risks of general anaesthesia in my particular case.  The urologist also said that his department/ his hospital wouldn't do the same procedure under regional/spinal/epidural anaesthesia.  But I'm wondering whether other hospitals might think differently?

Or maybe some might do brachytherapy - ie localised internal irradiation - under regional/spinal anaesthetic?

Grateful any advice from the many helpful people on this forum.  

User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 00:09
Sorry, I don't know the precise answer to your question but in your position I would initially contact UCLH in London about HIFU> They are the UK leaders in this therapy who have trained many practitioners from elsewhere, so should be able to direct you if they will not treat without using anaesthetic. You could also ask them whether this also applies to Brachytherapy. and if not who to ask. The main London teaching hospitals are likely administrators of Brachytherapy but this procedure would be available at more towns than Focal Therapy.

Birmingham Prostate Clinic seem to be well recommended so maybe worth an enquiry there also.
Barry
User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 00:25

Brachytherapy can be done without a GA, both HDR/temporary seed brachytherapy, and LDR/permanent/seed brachytherapy. Indeed, Mount Vernon Cancer Centre now does it under regional anesthetic by default, and only under GA if the patient really wants that.

User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 00:27

I had general anaesthetic for brachytherapy HDR.

I don't think HDR is much more invasive than a biopsy so I don't think they knock you out due to the pain. I think the procedure takes about four hours, and I don't think they could trust a patient to sit still all that time, so they knock you out for that reason. 

With HDR the isotope is inserted by a robot with no one else in the room. With LDR it is safer for the staff to be in the room, so maybe that can be done under local.

Maybe if you promised to sit still it could be done.

Dave

User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 03:06

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I'm aware of EBRT (external beam radiotherapy) but this, being external, has to be aimed at the prostate through the surrounding body tissues. I'd prefer something more concentrated on the specific location of my cancer.

Just a comment on EBRT ... the way it's most commonly delivered now is by a LINAC machine. These dougnut shaped devices rotate 360 degrees around your body targeting the prostate from a number of different directions as they go, which means that while radiation does have to pass through other bits to get there, most of the radiation hits the focus  and for other parts of the body the exposure is brief and passing. The LINACs can also avoid organs that are more sensitive than others. Most of us can go through this process with little or no after effects. I've certainly had no problems after a considerable amount of bombardment for a Gleason 9, locally advanced cancer.

Forgive me if you're well aware of this information h o

Jules

User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 07:47

I don't think HDR is much more invasive than a biopsy so I don't think they knock you out due to the pain. I think the procedure takes about four hours, and I don't think they could trust a patient to sit still all that time, so they knock you out for that reason.

The painful bit is the brachytherapy catheter insertion. That's the only part Mount Vernon knock you out for (or nowadays, just do the regional anesthetic). It takes about 40 mins. Even when they did used to use a GA, you were awake for all the rest of it including the radiotherapy part, which isn't painful. Yes, you have to stay in bed without sitting up for around 6 hours (or 24 hours if having HDR as a monotherapy, so two sessions on two consecutive days).

Some places knock patients out for 4 hours, but that has a number of downsides, such as ruling out more patients from the procedure who can't do a 4 hour GA, and usually meaning they only do one patient in that time, versus the 4 patients which Mount Vernon do on a production line each time.

Edited by member 18 Apr 2023 at 07:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 09:48

I had LDR Brachytherapy in November and I was offered a general anaesthetic or an “epidural” type of anaesthetic. I chose the general one however the local anaesthetic is apparently now the preferred option.

Rgds

Dave

User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 12:36

Many thanks for the various useful comments & suggestions.

Old Barry  -  yes indeed!.  I was trying not to mention the current hospital as I'm still hoping they might get past the  obstacle to anaesthesia.  It has necessitated referral to another department, and various tests have been done quickly, but as the non-prostate medical issue gives no symptoms except under anaesthesia, and might not in itself need any treatment, it isn't seen as urgent for followup.   The result is more months of uncertainty and delay while urology await the outcome of referral to the other department.

Microcolei - I'm comforted by your experience of EBRT with Linac machine but I would still be happier with brachytherapy inside my actual prostate, preferably in the one lobe, since unlike you I'm not thought to have cancer anywhere else, not even locally.                                                                                                                           Well not yet anyway but the longer it's left untreated........

Andy62 & others:  how long a wait can I expect, if I ask to be referred on for brachytherapy at Mount Vernon?  (under NHS).                                                                                                                                                                             If it's really long, how expensive would private be for brachy?  At Mount Vernon, Birmingham or elsewhere.  Private hospitals seem reluctant to reveal self-pay charges but I've heard that any form of radiotherapy might be £40k+ !

User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 21:43

Andy62 & others: how long a wait can I expect, if I ask to be referred on for brachytherapy at Mount Vernon? (under NHS). If it's really long, how expensive would private be for brachy?

I don't know. The thing to do would be to contact one of the consultants there and ask. I doubt there'd be much of a waiting list, because they do a lot of brachytherapy boost procedures there where they slot in the brachytherapy immediately after the course of external beam, so probably a month or so.

User
Posted 19 Apr 2023 at 00:09

Please H O, choose the option that has the best chance of removing your cancer at this early stage based on weighing up the advice of a urologist and an oncologist. Thorough early treatment stands a better chance of avoiding the need for salvage work of one sort or another later plus it gives you a better chance of survival.

Jules

User
Posted 19 Apr 2023 at 10:07

Thanks, I fully take the point but unfortunately the best chance route has been stymied by the non-prostate problem.  A problem which has so far prevented anything involving general anaesthesia, even though it's not in itself a serious problem otherwise. 

So I need to start thinking of a fallback that doesn't involve general anaesthesia.  The nearest equivalent to what the urologist had planned to do, ie ablation of the specific lobe within my prostate, would seem to be brachytherapy.    But it doesn't seem to be available to my sort of case at my current hospital (leading teaching hospital though it is).  I recall them telling me about 6 months ago that if wanted brachytherapy I would have to be referred on to Mount Vernon, but  I wasn't seeking it at the time.

I'm keen to get early and targeted treatment of the actual, very localised, cancer, but time is ticking away and it's 'intermediate' risk.

I didn't enjoy the biopsy under local anaesthetic but I could tolerate it or a seemingly similar procedure involving radioactive seed insertion or whatever. 

User
Posted 19 Apr 2023 at 10:30

Microcolei - I'm comforted by your experience of EBRT with Linac machine but I would still be happier with brachytherapy inside my actual prostate, preferably in the one lobe, since unlike you I'm not thought to have cancer anywhere else, not even locally.

Focal brachytherapy does exist, but I never came across anyone who's had it, and I don't know of a hospital which does it. A really big consideration would be what followup treatments might be possible if cancer developed in the rest of the organ, which is probably quite likely, as prostate cancer is usually multi-focal (starts in more than one place). Further radiotherapy would probably not be possible. That leaves you with salvage prostatectomy with not good QoL outcomes, and maybe salvage HIFU, or life-long hormone therapy.

Having said that, brachytherapy dose is sometimes varied across the prostate, being higher where the known cancer is, and lower in the rest of the prostate.

User
Posted 19 Apr 2023 at 11:31

Focal Brachytherapy in this link mentions Gys which is a measure of radiation so I would have thought should be classified as radiation treatment. Focal Treatment as I understand it is administered using ways of heating, freezing, electroporation, laser or photodynamic. Could this it be that Focal Brachytherapy is more of an American Terminology for what in the UK we would call Low Dose Brachytherapy using seeds? https://www.practicalradonc.org/article/S1879-8500(21)00001-1/fulltext

Edited by member 19 Apr 2023 at 11:32  | Reason: to highlight link

Barry
User
Posted 19 Apr 2023 at 11:52

Hmmmm...... I had assumed, perhaps naively, that the radioactive seeds - whether permanent low dose or temporarily inserted high dose- would be put into the one lobe where the cancer definitely is.   (I have read that prostate cancer is usually multifocal but in my case all the rest of the 30 cores extracted during biopsy were clear.)

However, on thinking about it: -  even if some seeds are  put elsewhere in the prostate, the radiation they emit will be primarily absorbed by (potentially future cancerous) prostate tissue, rather than first hitting other tissue and then only the attenuated radiation reaching the prostate.

And as Old Barry says, there may be differences in terminology across the Atlantic. 

User
Posted 19 Apr 2023 at 18:35

Interesting link from Memorial Sloan Kettering (one of the World's leading cancer hospitals) on what they call Focal Therapy. At the end they give a separate link covering Brachytherapy HD and LD .with seeds. With the latter, they say they only treat the high grade cancer area leaving any low grade for Active Surveillance. https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/types/prostate/treatment/focal-therapies

https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/types/prostate/treatment/brachytherapy

Edited by member 20 Apr 2023 at 00:20  | Reason: to highlight links & spelling

Barry
User
Posted 20 Apr 2023 at 02:45

However, on thinking about it: - even if some seeds are put elsewhere in the prostate, the radiation they emit will be primarily absorbed by (potentially future cancerous) prostate tissue, rather than first hitting other tissue and then only the attenuated radiation reaching the prostate.

I get the feeling that you have figured out a process in your own mind that you believe will work better than the advice you might receive from an oncologist.

Jules

User
Posted 20 Apr 2023 at 10:52

I would be very interested and happy to hear any oncological advice which might explain in what way the point in my previous post is mistaken  (or only half right, or whatever). 

User
Posted 20 Apr 2023 at 21:58

Your Gleason score is 7 and your psa has risen sharply in the last few months. You haven't mentioned anything about the size of your prostate or whether you have any other urinary symptoms but these are factors to be considered. It looks as though LDR brachytherapy on its own might be an option BUT it could be marginal and since you've said earlier that your tumor isn't low risk I'm guessing you might have been told it's high risk [?]. If that's the case and you have other significant urinary issues, you could well be at the point where an oncologist would rule out LDR brachytherapy and recommend EBRT followed by brachytherapy, or just EBRT.

If you are in a position where you can never have anaesthesia, you will not be able to have a prostatectomy so you're limited to the various RT options with the risk that if round one fails you might not be able to have a second go.

Obviously, I'm not an oncologist but with your cancer at an early stage and still quite treatable, I'd suggest you can't be half hearted about your treatment options.

Have you spoken to an oncologist yet and if so what did they recommend?

Jules

Edited by member 20 Apr 2023 at 22:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Apr 2023 at 22:29

If you are in a position where you can never have anaesthesia, you will not be able to have a prostatectomy so you're limited to the various RT options

Open RP can be done with a spinal block at some hospitals - keyhole RP can only be done with a GA

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 20 Apr 2023 at 23:12

Thanks Lyn

User
Posted 21 Apr 2023 at 12:13

Yes thanks Lyn as I wouldn't have guessed it was that way round ( as to the layman, open RP sounds like a bigger op than keyhole.)

Thanks also Microcolei, and further info is as follows.  'Intermediate' risk was what I was told,  based I gather on analysis of those 4 positive cores in the one side lobe of my prostate. Overall size of prostate is about 50cc which I think counts as big-ish but not enormous.  I'm told I have a large median lobe, not cancerous but it might have something to do with the urinary symptoms I get.  Hesitancy/occasional difficulty starting to urinate; slight after-dribble; having to get up to wee 3 or 4 times a night.  The last symptom, unlike the first, has not been helped at all by tamsulosin.  However  I do tend to drink more fluid than most people, especially decaf coffee/tea, weak and in large mugs as a 'long drink'.  

I had a fairly detailed consultation with one of the present hospital's consultant oncologists a few months ago. He wasn't against brachy at all but said that if I chose it they'd need to refer me on to Mount Vernon.  His offer was EBRT preceded & followed by a few months of HT.   In the equivalent conversation with his urologist colleague, the main offer was RP.  I asked about focal therapy and was told that my cancer (being so localised)  was suitable  but the size and shape of my prostate might be a practical difficulty for HIFU.  However when the proposition was put to the actual focal team they were content to proceed............until the anaesthesia problem arose. 

As you rightly point out there are other things, not just focal HIFU, which are ruled out if my current care team can't find a workaround for the anaesthesia issue.  

Another point is the risk of urine retention problems from swelling/inflammation of irradiated prostate tissue. This is another motive for trying to keep the radiation (or for that matter the high frequency ultrasound or cryo or electro or whatever) focused within the cancerous lobe if possible. 

User
Posted 21 Apr 2023 at 14:29
EBRT may be a better option than brachy if you have existing retention issues
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 21 Apr 2023 at 14:36

Yes thanks Lyn as I wouldn't have guessed it was that way round ( as to the layman, open RP sounds like a bigger op than keyhole.)

Open RP is a bigger op with a longer recovery period and possibly a couple of extra nights in hospital. However, open is kinder to the heart. For keyhole surgery, the patient is tipped head down for a number of hours which a) puts huge pressure on the heart and b) would be impossible if the patient was awake. In open surgery, the patient is just flat on the operating table so a better option for men with heart conditions.

Edited by member 21 Apr 2023 at 14:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Apr 2023 at 22:29

Excellent post o d. That gives a much wider view of where you stand.

In regard to this:

Another point is the risk of urine retention problems from swelling/inflammation of irradiated prostate tissue.

Do you have any specific reasons to have worries on that concern? Your hesitancy and visits to the toilet overnight are not unusual in your situation. I haven't seen any figures on how frequent and serious inflammation issues are for men having RT but I can certainly say that for me [age 76] it wasn't an issue, though a sample of one is fairly meaningless.

Jules

User
Posted 21 Apr 2023 at 22:40

Given that brachytherapy can be done with a spinal block (indeed, that's the default at Mount Vernon since COVID), I don't see why HIFU can't. It may be the team has simply never done it that way.

User
Posted 22 Apr 2023 at 16:51

The (NHS) surgeon who would have done the HIFU told me that unlike some surgery (such as birth by C section) a HIFU requires such fine precision (for ?hours on end) that it wouldn't be done under regional/spinal/epidural anaesthesia. He said this was because of the possibility of slight movement.  

Picking up Andy62's hint that what the urologist really meant was "the way we do it here is under general anaesthetic only" :   I have seen some publicity material for private HIFU at other hospitals claiming they use regional rather than general anaesthesia, at least in some cases.  I'm trying to find out who, where and charging how much.  But as this may well be a blind alley, I'm also looking into  EBRT or brachytherapy.

Though I'd still prefer HIFU with my current team if they can find some other workaround for my anaesthesia problems. 

Urine retention - I have had not-quite-complete but painful urine retention issues previously, in circumstances too complicated to explain fully here but they include after anaesthesia in the past, for unrelated surgery years ago before my present problem developed.

Meanwhile I note Lyn telling us what nobody else has told us about what happens during anaesthesia for RP!  

User
Posted 24 Apr 2023 at 07:44

Do you think the short course, 5 day, SBRT might work for you?

Australian report

UCLA report

I know there's people on this forum who've had short RT treatment though I don't know if it's SBRT or how available it might be.

Jules

User
Posted 24 Apr 2023 at 18:16

Yes I guess the stereotactic option might work for me but NHS guidance published in 2016 implies it's not available in the UK, at least not with the NHS.   https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/.16013/P                              And anything involving nuclear medicine would presumably cost a fortune privately.  (Any information to the contrary gladly received.)

The NHS 'clinical commissioning policy' usefully explains that the shortness of this kind of RT results from targeting a tumour with radiation beams from different angles AT THE SAME TIME.   As opposed to an emitter  rotating around the person and firing at his prostate from different angles one at a time.   The latter implying a month or two of RT daily except for weekends. 

The title of the NHS document says Stereotactic Ablative Radiotherapy SABR but the detailed text uses both this term and the American version Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy SABR.   I assume the UCLA (and Australian) references do indeed refer to the same thing although it isn't made entirely clear. 

Both SABR and EBRT versions of RT imply the prostate gets radiation which has been attenuated by passing through other tissue first.  Albeit the prostate gets some radiation from every direction, whereas the other tissues get the radiation from only some directions. 

On that logic I still might prefer brachytherapy, under which non-prostate tissue gets only the radiation that has been attenuated by passing through prostate tissue.  But I remain open to information and persuasion on this and any points. 

Edited by moderator 06 Jul 2023 at 13:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Apr 2023 at 01:06

The NHS 'clinical commissioning policy' usefully explains that the shortness of this kind of RT results from targeting a tumour with radiation beams from different angles AT THE SAME TIME. As opposed to an emitter rotating around the person and firing at his prostate from different angles one at a time. The latter implying a month or two of RT daily except for weekends. The title of the NHS document says Stereotactic Ablative Radiotherapy SABR but the detailed text uses both this term and the American version Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy SABR. I assume the UCLA (and Australian) references do indeed refer to the same thing although it isn't made entirely clear.

The international differences are beyond my comprehension and I'm unable to read the UK link you posted. I'm pretty sure that the Varian device used in the stereotactic RT referred to in the reference I posted does the 360 degree rotation thing. Unfortunately the ABC report I posted was short on critical the sort of critical detail that matters when you're deciding what sort of treatment might be best.

Jules

User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 14:10

Hi Lyn. I have just read your comments on Open Surgery being ‘kinder to the heart’ than keyhole. This interested me because I suffer from AF and as such asked the question of my surgeon if this might cause complications. His reply was that other than the usual complications associated with surgery I would just need to stop taking the blood thinners for a few days. No mention of body positioning.

I would be grateful if you could provide me with the source from which you gleaned this information so that I might check it out and so ask the question at my next meeting. Thanks in advance.

Alf

User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 15:43

There is an alternative that has not been mentioned which might be an option for you. You are right that EBRT deposits some of it's radiation on the way to the tumour and indeed past it. However, Proton Beam though being fired through the body at different angles deposits very little dose on the way to the tumour on which it unloads and virtually nothing after because the tumor is in the 'Bragg Peak'. The Christie at Manchester and UCLH in London each have a Cyclotron with which they have the capability to treat with Proton Beam but may wish to reserve it's use for other cancers where it's use has greater benefit. (There is some conflicting information as to how well it compares with EBRT for PCa but is generally thought not to be more successful). There was a facility that administered Proton Beam in Wales but I think this has now closed. It is available in Prague although somebody reported a bad experience there. Longer established facilities are in the USA but eye wateringly expensive. There are several centres in Germany. I believe one of our members had this in Munich. See graph curve for Protons and Photons .......  https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/169665/dose-depth-curve-of-photons-vs-protons

Edited by member 26 Apr 2023 at 15:48  | Reason: to highlight link

Barry
User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 17:32

Proton beam prostate treatment is fired in from just two angles, and that's horizontally through each hip. As such, it's a bit like the old IMRT treatment, although that was usually 3-5 beam angles.

I don't believe it's available at all in the UK, except possibly as part of a trial. The private Rutherford Cancer Centres in Wales, Reading, and somewhere up north all went bust.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 23:23
A 2 angle approach for Proton to the Prostate seems to be the norm although 3 and 4 angles has been tried. This is not the problem that it would be with EBRT where much more of the dose is deposited before and after the tumour. Certainly the Carbon Ion boost that was part of my RT was a two angle one and as with Protons is a Hadron Therapy, although a much more powerful one. It was the Rutherford Centre in Wales I was thinking of as I read all Rutherford Proton centres were closing and has since happened.

Mark Emberton mentioned in passing in one of his talks that at UCLH they were able to use their cyclotron to treat PCa. He did not say to what extent it's being used for PCa. I don't know what the attitude of the Christie is in this respect. Apart from possibly these facilities, I think it would be necessary that anybody wanting Proton Beam therapy would need to have it outside the UK, most probably privately, unless they can find and be accepted into a trial.

I am not recommending Proton Beam, I don't recommend any particular form of treatment. I only mention it as the OP was asking about what other possibilities there were that avoided GA.
Barry
User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 23:48

I would be grateful if you could provide me with the source from which you gleaned this information so that I might check it out and so ask the question at my next meeting. Thanks in advance.

There isn't a source - that is just how it is done. Once the patient is asleep, the operating table is tilted a bit so that your head is lower than your feet - gravity pulls the bladder & other organs away from the prostate to create some space to operate in. The abdominal cavity is also filled with gas to create more space. 

I assume that being tipped head down for a few hours is only a problem for men with serious heart problems - there are a number of men on here with AF who had LRP.  

Edited - sources:

https://www.google.com/search?q=keyhole+radical+prostatectomy+head+tipped+down&rlz=1C1PRFI_enGB894GB894&sxsrf=APwXEde2S1fHzF1VjCMK5YfJt8OiYRZGEw:1682548911039&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiEo6ORz8j-AhXMEcAKHXFPARYQ_AUoAHoECBAQAg&biw=1920&bih=937&dpr=1

Edited by member 26 Apr 2023 at 23:50  | Reason: To add further info and hyperlink

User
Posted 27 Apr 2023 at 16:27

Once the patient is asleep, the operating table is tilted a bit so that your head is lower than your feet - gravity pulls the bladder & other organs away from the prostate to create some space to operate in. The abdominal cavity is also filled with gas to create more space.
I assume that being tipped head down for a few hours is only a problem for men with serious heart problems - there are a number of men on here with AF who had LRP.

Pressurising the abdominal cavity cavity is also to reduce bleeding, and the amount of blood loss and the need for transfusions is very much lower than it was with open prostatectomy, where that was quite an issue. Also, less bleeding gives the surgeon a better view of what they're doing.

Tilting your head down for hours generates a risk of stroke, and they may have no idea that's happened until well after you've come around. So someone with a higher risk of stroke anyway would not normally be a candidate.

Edited by member 27 Apr 2023 at 16:30  | Reason: Not specified