Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dads prostate diagnosis

User
Posted 18 Apr 2023 at 22:35

Hi all,

I've just come across this forum and it has been really helpful reading everybody's stories and advice. Such a supportive group. 

My lovely dad (aged 63) was diagnosed with stage 2 head and neck cancer and then stage 3 prostate cancer on the same day in January (also found out he had skin cancer but they are confident they have removed that). They say things come in 3s aye?! 

He is finishing his 6 week course of radiotherapy for his neck tomorrow (so proud of him). He also had 2 chemo sessions along the way. Will find out results in 12 weeks. 

We have an appointment tomorrow with prostate team to find out next steps. Looks like he is going onto enzalutamide firstly then they suggested 4 weeks of radiotherapy down the line. Will find out for definate tomorrow. He has PSA 29 and Gleason score 4+5=9. Have been told there is some activity in groin lymph nodes and also common iliac nodes. Didn't have and still doesn't have any symptoms of prostate cancer! 

Feeling worried for the meeting tomorrow and hoping they are able to give it their best shot at curing or keeping it at bay for a very long time. Just waiting to see if this is locally advanced or advanced. I know this is the difference between cure and treat. 

He's not allowed to go anywhere just yet!  

Has anybody had a similar prostate journey? 

Thanks so much 

Hannah x 

User
Posted 19 Apr 2023 at 04:56

Hi Hannah I had similar stats to your dad my psa 24.9  gleeson 9 I had 37 fractions off radiotherapy and 2 years off hormone therapy psa now 0.01 after 3 years there is light at the end of the tunnel good luck with your dad's treatment and keep in touch gaz 👍