I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Newly diagnosed need advice

User
Posted 19 Apr 2023 at 18:59

So diagnosed yesterday with a Gleason score of 4+3 I am due back Friday to meet a surgeon who wants to do a bone scan as I have trouble with my right hip when getting up he doesn’t know if it’s my weight age (57) or the cancer if it is what would my options be and prognosis 

User
Posted 19 Apr 2023 at 19:55

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the right hip not long after diagnosis of PCa 4+3. I have had a few bone scans and a PSMA scan and found nothing in the hip. Bone scan after diagnosis was/ is standard at our hospital after diagnosis.

Hope all goes okay.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 19 Apr 2023 at 20:50
Hi Dawson ado,

I am also Gleason 4+3 T3bN0M0. I had a bone scan (which was clear) as my PSA on diagnosis was 36. It’s difficult to know what your options will be until you have all the tests and scans, but for me it was HT and RT(which I’m going through at the moment).

Your MDT will decide on what options are available to you but the final choice will be left to you…if there is a choice,in my case there wasn’t.

Good luck with your journey …you’ll find this forum incredibly helpful.

User
Posted 20 Apr 2023 at 13:48
A bone scan is no cause for concern. It is an entirely normal part of the diagnostic process. Try not to worry about it.

What was your PSA on diagnosis?

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 20 Apr 2023 at 15:36

My psa was 3.1 then it’s risen to 4.9 on my last test , it’s the fact I have pain in my hip when getting up that they said I need a bone scan to see if it’s spread my diagnosis was 4+3 and T2no pirads 4 

User
Posted 20 Apr 2023 at 19:56

Trouble is when you are first diagnosed your mind goes in overdrive and you think every ache and pain is related to the cancer. Prostate cancer is pretty much symptomless in most cases. Pain from bone mets only occur when the disease is very advanced. Your relatively low PSA readings seem to suggest that is not the case. As Cheshire Chris has said, a bone scan is pretty routine at time of diagnosis.