Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Weight gain and muscle loss after radical prostatectomy

User
Posted 20 Apr 2023 at 22:10

Hi

I had a successful prostatectomy last August and recovered gently for 8 weeks after the op. 

Since then Ive started exercising more regularly- walking 3 miles and swimming once a week - to help lose the weight Ive gained.

I seem to take longer to recover from exercising than I used to and feel fatigued for a day or so after. 

Is it likely that I will have lost muscle since the op, perhaps as a result of not producing testosterone?  Im 67 and generally healthy for my age

User
Posted 21 Apr 2023 at 00:18

Hi Drybrooker,

Did you have any hormone treatment at all before or after your surgery? What you’re describing sounds like a side effect from that. Have they tested your levels?

I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will come on to post helpful information for you but I wasn’t aware that radical prostatectomy alone would affect your testosterone levels. My husband had 6 months HT before his op and his testosterone was close to zero….after his op it eventually returned to 10 when stopping HT.

Could the weight gain maybe be from taking it easy after the op?

Good luck with your ongoing recovery and hope you get some answers.

Elaine

User
Posted 21 Apr 2023 at 07:12
A prostatectomy doesn't affect the production of testosterone - it's produced by the testes. Were you on hormone therapy prior to surgery?

Chris