Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

More concerns Stage 4 and now this.

User
Posted 22 Apr 2023 at 09:41

Hello,

I haven’t posted recently but I could do with some support and guidance please.  Our minds are in complete turmoil.

My husband has had two polyps removed during separate colonoscopies in the last couple of weeks. The second one was a troublesome bugger and it’s been removed but the discharge notes say this (see below). The Doctor wasn’t a great communicator but did mention a full body scan and potentially chemo and didn’t think this was linked with his prostate cancer diagnosis.

We are due to travel to Oz in a month as a last big blow out holiday. We aren’t going are we?  Could someone with medical knowledge please help. 

Comment:
This sigmoid colon polypectomy specimen shows expansion of the lamina propria by a dense
lymphoid infiltrate with a predominance of B lymphocytes including a population of lambda
light chain restricted plasmacytoid cells. Overall, the appearances are most in keeping
with a diagnosis of lambda light chain restricted marginal zone lymphoma /
lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma. There is no evidence of high-grade transformation in these Biopsies.

User
Posted 22 Apr 2023 at 20:23

Hi Corrie,

I can't offer advice on the illness, perhaps ringing Macmillan will find someone who can translate that piece.  Anyway you'll likely need a doctor to say you can go on holiday and they might explain it.

You might know about holiday's and insurance but my opinion on that is.   I wouldn't rush into cancellation although I'd be checking what can be cancelled and if there is a better time to do it.  It might be possible to cancel at the last minute and not lose much or put off the holiday if treatment enables it.  You will likely need a doctor's agreement you can safely go.  You will need to advise your insurer of this diagnosis and find out what their process is should you cancel or if you go and something happens.  Regards Peter

Edited by member 22 Apr 2023 at 20:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Apr 2023 at 23:24

Well I just copied and pasted that diagnosis in to Google. The results are "slow growing" and "80% five year survival".

Now a doctor might be able to read a lot more in to the diagnosis than Google and I can, but I can't see why this would stop you going on holiday in a few months (assuming insurers approve it, or you exclude existing conditions).

I've not read all your posts so I don't know how bad the stage 4 prostate cancer is, but the moment you decide to put your (OH's) life on hold, you have pretty much decided to accept death. I think live your best life whilst you can is the better option, go on holiday.

Dave

User
Posted 23 Apr 2023 at 02:08
If you were going to have a PSMA scan privately, depending on where you are going in OZ they were doing the scan much cheaper there than in Europe but don't know if this is still the case.
Barry
User
Posted 23 Apr 2023 at 08:35
Unless medical treatment prevents you from going on holiday, there's no reason why you shouldn't do so. Many men here who have cancer go on holiday. I certainly did!

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 23 Apr 2023 at 12:26
It is a form of lymphoma so your holiday depends on whether the medics decide that surgery or chemo is needed immediately or whether it is a type than can be treated after you get back from Australia. I imagine that the doctors will be happy to wait when you explain the situation or explain to you why that is not possible. According to the Cancer UK website, this cancer is sometimes treated just with antibiotics 🤷‍♀️
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Apr 2023 at 16:19

To everyone that has responded.  Thank you! So the issue is we might not get a diagnosis in time for our trip.  We are with InsuranceWith for a few years now.  No claims and we have been away a lot! We are going to call them tomorrow.  We are happy to exclude cover for this pending issue.

We would never go against medical advice and without cover.  I guess it depends whether we get a diagnosis in time.  He has to have a scan, his biopsy etc all done before we go on 24 May which is a big ask.  The NHS won’t rush this through just because we have a big blow out holiday pending.

To be blunt unless we get told the opposite my view is that ‘delaying’ treatment for 2.5 weeks isn’t going to make a huge difference bearing in mind the overall health of my dear husband.  

User
Posted 23 Apr 2023 at 16:33

His PC is stable.  PSA is very low. Has been on enthuzulmide for over 2.5 years.  59 years old.  Still working but from home mainly.  Driving, eating and drinking fine and normal.  

I guess anything is possible. Of course if Doctors say treatment immediately that is different. Only reason he went for a colonoscopy is that he had some bleeding down below on the outgoing and incoming long haul flight in January during our last holiday. It stopped when he arrived and started on the return journey.  Most bizarre.  Money isn’t an issue re expensive insurance if that works unless it’s a comedy price.  

We have found InsuranceWith OK but very through as you would expect.  We have not claimed for him in the 30 years we have known each other.

User
Posted 11 May 2023 at 22:35
So husband had full scan and it was all a fuss over nothing. New consultant said nothing to worry about and in fact enthzalumide has shrunk his cancer slightly. The prognosis is still the same at Stage 4 Gleeson 9 but it’s ok for now. Today was a good day for us.

They were just polyps after all!

Oz here we come! Insurance is fine and have excluded polyps.

User
Posted 11 May 2023 at 22:36
So husband had full scan and it was all a fuss over nothing. New consultant said nothing to worry about and in fact enthzalumide has shrunk his cancer slightly. The prognosis is still the same at Stage 4 Gleeson 9 but it’s ok for now. Today was a good day for us.

They were just polyps after all!

Oz here we come! Insurance is fine and have excluded polyps.

User
Posted 11 May 2023 at 23:47

Great news, have a good holiday.

Dave