Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Somewhat Bewildered

User
Posted 23 Apr 2023 at 04:24

Hello everyone

This is my first post on here. I was diagnosed in January this year following a visit to my G.P with a few mild urinary symptoms. What followed was a dizzying round of scans and biopsy followed by a RARP three weeks ago. To be honest I feel as if I am still in shock. I am 58 years old and would say fit and active.

My biopsy results were examined by two different (I believe excellent) centres- The first one diagnosed Gleason 4+3 T2 N0  with a clear bone scan PSA 10 . This was for 26 out of 35 cores positive (ouch). The second centre put me at an even more concerning Gleason 9 using the same slides.

Has anyone else had such a disparity in biopsy diagnosis? I am awaiting with trepidation my final staging results using the gland itself and to speak to my surgeon regarding if he was able to spare nerve bundles.

User
Posted 05 Jun 2023 at 07:51

An update for this.

I am now just over eight weeks post surgery and met my surgeon for my biopsy results on the removed gland. He confirmed the Gleason 9 (5+4) and said he was very surprised by the previous 4+3 diagnosis.

As others have said this score may not be particularly relevant after the gland has gone so I am consoling myself with this. I guess this higher grade may mean recurrence is more likely further down the road?

There was no involvement with the seminal vesicles or the lymph nodes that were removed so this is good news , my psa was undetectable at the last test 6 weeks post, but he has asked for another at 12 weeks post. My anxiety levels are already rising regarding this,

My overall health is good and I have been back to active farming for three weeks. Bouncing around in a tractor seat is not particularly comfortable, nor is it good for my continance but needs must- Spring has sprung and there is much to do. Generally my continance is improving and I am finding the squeezy app very helpful.

Unfortunately the surgeon was not able to spare any erectile nerves- this has been the hardest thing to deal with mentally. The Sildenafil has obviously no effect whatsoever and my 'oldest friend' feels cold and shrunken. I find the penis pump a bit humiliating and a little uncomfortable. I have not yet tried to use the rubber ring to see if I can maintain a usable erection but this is on my to do list.
I have an appointment to see the penile re-habilitation nurse (now there's an enviable job title) to discuss the hard on injections so for now I am pinning my hopes on that.

When I meet friends or colleagues they all say how well I look and things like 'good job they got it early' or 'that's all behind you now' I smile and nod but inside I'm thinking that I'm not sure they did, and I'm not sure it is.

Edited by member 05 Jun 2023 at 08:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Apr 2023 at 10:56

Welcome John, yes it can be a bit dizzying going through all those scans etc. Quite impressive you got it all done within four months.

We have plenty of people whose Gleason changes because of post op histology, not many have the original biopsy looked at twice. It is very subjective, so it's easy to see why a more cautious pathologist may guess a higher grade. 

Following link shows that pathologists perception of Gleason score changes over time.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24552193/

Dave

User
Posted 23 Apr 2023 at 13:20
There is bound to be a point in some cases where it' so borderline that a Gleason could seen as being one grade different but I think it unusual for a disparity such as here where the same slides were considered but more accurate assessment should be possible when removed Prostate is sliced in the lab. Actually, if all the cancer is removed this aspect is more academic. What is of immediate concern is what the surgeon has managed to achieve by way of nerve sparing and how he considers the result. i
Barry
User
Posted 05 Jun 2023 at 08:45

Hi FarmerJohn,

Surgery wasn’t an option for me so I had to go down the HT/RT route, but I know how you feel when you meet friends. Everyone tells me how well I look, and to be fair I DO look and feel great. However underneath that exterior I have to contend with hot flushes, aching joints, zero libido and I suspect I may have the start of  Pyronies disease….and I’ve got another 2 years of this HT😟
Like you I just smile and say “yes I feel great!” and get on with my life being grateful that (hopefully) they’ve killed this horrible disease.

all the best

Derek

User
Posted 05 Jun 2023 at 11:18
I must admit that i was guilty of thinking P.C was a minor problem for older guys and that something else would kill you first.

How wrong I was.

Many people still think this- I have become an Evangelist (some may say bore) and tell anyone who will listen to watch out for symptoms and DO NOT just think 'Oh, my slight urinary problems are just down to the aging process'

All the best to all.

User
Posted 05 Jun 2023 at 19:54

Hi farmerjohn,

Yes, you may look well, but if sex was important to you, then it's difficult to feel enthusiastic about a new life, without the cancer, yes, but with the erectile dysfunction.  Try not to be discouraged at this early stage.  The vacuum pump can be cumbersome but it should help to maintain penis health and reduce shrinkage.  The tension rings can be uncomfortable but I have sometimes managed to pleasure myself to orgasm, although I doubt in my own case whether they would enable me to achieve an erection suitable for penetration.  As others have said, the penile injections may be more effective for this.

Good luck with yout recovery.

JedSee,

User
Posted 05 Jun 2023 at 23:11

It is very early days. Have patience, do you Kegel exercises, use a VED to retrain your penis and your brain by repeated use of the pump to get the blood flowing again. Your penis and your brain needs to be reminded of what it is for! You can massage your penis and scrotum gently which can be quite pleasurable, particularly if your wife/partner does it. You can also masturbate - you don't need to be totally continent for this or have an erection. I have recently  posted 'Preparing for Prostatectomy and Rehabilitation' which you may find useful. My 'oldest friend' as you call it was equally unwilling but with some help, imagination and support from wife our sex life is still great. If we can do it anyone else can too. Good luck.

Edited by member 05 Jun 2023 at 23:12  | Reason: Spelling error

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 00:33

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I guess this higher grade may mean recurrence is more likely further down the road?

Actually, a Gleason upgrade post-op does not appear to increase the risk of recurrence later. If they got the whole thing out, it makes no difference what pattern the cells showed under a microscope! 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 00:43

When I meet friends or colleagues they all say how well I look and things like 'good job they got it early' or 'that's all behind you now' I smile and nod but inside I'm thinking that I'm not sure they did, and I'm not sure it is.

Ah yes, the old "aren't you lucky it was only prostate cancer" thing :-( 

John quickly developed a standard response to this kind of comment - "yes, wearing incontinence pads and sticking a needle in my kcid to have sex is a laugh a minute." It shocked or embarrassed people but it also led to friends asking further questions and getting a better understanding of why prostate health is so important. His friends all know about the injections and pump - they have a laugh & a bit of a joke about it sometimes and that's okay. When friends have subsequently been diagnosed, they have felt able to talk to J about their worries or check out questions before an appointment, etc. 

If anything, I found it harder dealing with comments like "oh, my dad (brother / neighbour) had that and he's fine now!" to which my response is always "oh, that's so good to her. Tell me, does he use a vacuum pump to get an erection?" They usually have no idea because they have never asked their dad / brother / neighbour so there is just a stunned silence 🤣 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 03:59

... I have become an Evangelist (some may say bore) and tell anyone who will listen to watch out for symptoms and DO NOT just think 'Oh, my slight urinary problems are just down to the aging' ...

There are consequences to action and inaction with prostate cancer. As a result of my diagnosis a friend of mine (airline pilot, early 60s) who has slight urinary problems got tested. Due to very poor regulation by CAA and a lazy consultant, and the vagaries of international employment law, he lost his job. The cancer has remained dormant for three years so far, he is on AS. Now he could afford to retire early, but I really think he would prefer be working, so not a great outcome for him. It is also the case that about 20% of men are over treated and can suffer incontinence and ED completely unnecessarily ( the problem is we don't know which 20% it will be). 12,000 men per year are undertreated, we know that because that's how many die each year of prostate cancer. 

Now I'm sure 100% of people on this site will say that being tested and treated was the correct decision (even though we know statistically it was only correct for 80% of them).

The consequence of over treatment may be a reduced quality of life, the consequences of under treatment is death.

So bearing all the above in mind I am not an evangelist for prostate health, I do advice vigilance, but my advice for anyone wanting to reduce their chance of dieing from prostate cancer is, take up motorcycling.

Dave

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 08:53
Quote:

Now I'm sure 100% of people on this site will say that being tested and treated was the correct decision (even though we know statistically it was only correct for 80% of them).

The consequence of over treatment may be a reduced quality of life, the consequences of under treatment is death.

So bearing all the above in mind I am not an evangelist for prostate health, I do advice vigilance, but my advice for anyone wanting to reduce their chance of dieing from prostate cancer is, take up motorcycling.

Some very wise words from everyone -thank you.

I love the motorcycling advice, dark humour can and does help. Lol.

For me, I think that knowledge gives the power to make an informed decision about treatment. A high psa or an abnormal DRE may not mean the worst news but could (should?) Trigger some further investigation.

I wish I had gone to my g.p earlier. If I am honest it was probably the gloved finger thing that put me off. In comparison to what was to come this was insignificant and if I had gone earlier maybe my op could have been nerve sparing and my chances of recurrence somewhat less.

The reason I went for a checkup was reading one of those posters that this charity puts in gent's loos above the urinals. This poster was in my local cattle market-it may have saved my life.

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 09:28

My dad was unfortunately in the same boat. He felt nothing, he didn’t have any known family history to worry about. I had no clue how common this cancer was. GP had checked his PSA 4 years ago, I found the result yesterday and it was 4.42 and they did nothing about it and also didn’t follow up with further checks. He only got diagnosed in Jan this year because a friend talked about having some issues and another GP asked would you like me to add anything else to your blood test results and he said add the PSA. He’d also seen a doctor on ITV talking about it. 

I’m just glad it got diagnosed when it did as it turned out to be aggressive cancer. 

User
Posted 07 Jun 2023 at 21:21

Hi Farmer John

I was a farmer myself a few years ago, really miss it some days. I had a non nerve sparing RALP last September, so no natural erections. I found there was support for the physical effects of the operation but precious little on the mental effects. I asked various nurses, doctors and urologists about how I was feeling but no one wanted to chat with me about it. I felt totally emasculated and started to get pretty depressed. Fortunately, my work has a confidential service where you can talk to a therapist for an hour FOC. The guy I ended up talking to was a therapist in New York! I just opened up to him and he suggested what I was going through was grief. We finished chatting and the next day I felt so much better, just like a switch was flicked. Since then I have used two VED's, a Bathmate and Soma erect and after a few miss starts have now managed to enjoy sex. 

I would say keep pressing to talk to somebody, even though I've got some good friends, I found talking to a bloke who I have never met really helped. I had sciatica when I was farming but still had to milk the cows, which wasn't good. If you can, rest as much as you can, it's a major operation and bouncing around on a tractor seat might not be the best way to recuperate 😬 Having an understanding wife really helps.

User
Posted 07 Jun 2023 at 21:42
Hi FJ

I'm 3 weeks post RARP and haven't had an erection yet - not had the consult yet with the surgeon so no idea if she was able to spare the nerves but I have discovered that you don't need an erection to have a pleasurable orgasm - so I guess it depends on how your partner is able to cope and whether playful changes to your sex life can become the norm.

Good luck and may the 0.0 PSA continue!

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Apr 2023 at 10:56

Welcome John, yes it can be a bit dizzying going through all those scans etc. Quite impressive you got it all done within four months.

We have plenty of people whose Gleason changes because of post op histology, not many have the original biopsy looked at twice. It is very subjective, so it's easy to see why a more cautious pathologist may guess a higher grade. 

Following link shows that pathologists perception of Gleason score changes over time.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24552193/

Dave

User
Posted 23 Apr 2023 at 13:20
There is bound to be a point in some cases where it' so borderline that a Gleason could seen as being one grade different but I think it unusual for a disparity such as here where the same slides were considered but more accurate assessment should be possible when removed Prostate is sliced in the lab. Actually, if all the cancer is removed this aspect is more academic. What is of immediate concern is what the surgeon has managed to achieve by way of nerve sparing and how he considers the result. i
Barry
User
Posted 05 Jun 2023 at 07:51

An update for this.

I am now just over eight weeks post surgery and met my surgeon for my biopsy results on the removed gland. He confirmed the Gleason 9 (5+4) and said he was very surprised by the previous 4+3 diagnosis.

As others have said this score may not be particularly relevant after the gland has gone so I am consoling myself with this. I guess this higher grade may mean recurrence is more likely further down the road?

There was no involvement with the seminal vesicles or the lymph nodes that were removed so this is good news , my psa was undetectable at the last test 6 weeks post, but he has asked for another at 12 weeks post. My anxiety levels are already rising regarding this,

My overall health is good and I have been back to active farming for three weeks. Bouncing around in a tractor seat is not particularly comfortable, nor is it good for my continance but needs must- Spring has sprung and there is much to do. Generally my continance is improving and I am finding the squeezy app very helpful.

Unfortunately the surgeon was not able to spare any erectile nerves- this has been the hardest thing to deal with mentally. The Sildenafil has obviously no effect whatsoever and my 'oldest friend' feels cold and shrunken. I find the penis pump a bit humiliating and a little uncomfortable. I have not yet tried to use the rubber ring to see if I can maintain a usable erection but this is on my to do list.
I have an appointment to see the penile re-habilitation nurse (now there's an enviable job title) to discuss the hard on injections so for now I am pinning my hopes on that.

Edited by member 05 Jun 2023 at 08:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Jun 2023 at 08:45

Hi FarmerJohn,

Surgery wasn’t an option for me so I had to go down the HT/RT route, but I know how you feel when you meet friends. Everyone tells me how well I look, and to be fair I DO look and feel great. However underneath that exterior I have to contend with hot flushes, aching joints, zero libido and I suspect I may have the start of  Pyronies disease….and I’ve got another 2 years of this HT😟
Like you I just smile and say “yes I feel great!” and get on with my life being grateful that (hopefully) they’ve killed this horrible disease.

all the best

Derek

User
Posted 05 Jun 2023 at 10:10
If no nerves were spared you will probably have to resign yourself to no natural erections. It also means the pills and Durex type ring will not help either.

So what you are left with are the pump and injections. Use the pump for rehab and maintaining a healthy willy.

The pump can also be used with constriction rings for sex and there are plenty of guys on here who use it successfully for that.

If you get on ok with injections they will be a game changer as they are quick to administer (maintains some spontaneity) and if they work for you they WILL work!

Finally if all else fails the implant is a drastic but effective option.

User
Posted 05 Jun 2023 at 10:21

I’m now 7 weeks post op and getting back to being social and into work. Like you people are saying how well I look (I’ve lost around 12kg since end Feb). Like you I  I thank them and say the facade may look good but behind the scenes it’s still a mess. It does shock them.  I don’t want people thinking PC is a ‘walk in the park’. 

I’ve yet to experience the joys of the pump as I have been told to wait till after I see the surgeon in a few weeks. My follow up is quite late for various reasons. 

Fingers crossed for your further follow up but it sounds positive 

User
Posted 05 Jun 2023 at 11:18
I must admit that i was guilty of thinking P.C was a minor problem for older guys and that something else would kill you first.

How wrong I was.

Many people still think this- I have become an Evangelist (some may say bore) and tell anyone who will listen to watch out for symptoms and DO NOT just think 'Oh, my slight urinary problems are just down to the aging process'

All the best to all.

User
Posted 05 Jun 2023 at 11:54

Do agree decho I was Gleason 9 but had the choice went down RT/HT route as I was put off by the amount off people that had adverse side effects with prosectomy things have been generally ok 2years now since finishing radiotherapy and six months since finishing hormone therapy still have bone aching occasionally but psa continues to be 0.01  but the worry never goes away 👍 gaz

User
Posted 05 Jun 2023 at 19:54

Hi farmerjohn,

Yes, you may look well, but if sex was important to you, then it's difficult to feel enthusiastic about a new life, without the cancer, yes, but with the erectile dysfunction.  Try not to be discouraged at this early stage.  The vacuum pump can be cumbersome but it should help to maintain penis health and reduce shrinkage.  The tension rings can be uncomfortable but I have sometimes managed to pleasure myself to orgasm, although I doubt in my own case whether they would enable me to achieve an erection suitable for penetration.  As others have said, the penile injections may be more effective for this.

Good luck with yout recovery.

JedSee,

User
Posted 05 Jun 2023 at 23:11

It is very early days. Have patience, do you Kegel exercises, use a VED to retrain your penis and your brain by repeated use of the pump to get the blood flowing again. Your penis and your brain needs to be reminded of what it is for! You can massage your penis and scrotum gently which can be quite pleasurable, particularly if your wife/partner does it. You can also masturbate - you don't need to be totally continent for this or have an erection. I have recently  posted 'Preparing for Prostatectomy and Rehabilitation' which you may find useful. My 'oldest friend' as you call it was equally unwilling but with some help, imagination and support from wife our sex life is still great. If we can do it anyone else can too. Good luck.

Edited by member 05 Jun 2023 at 23:12  | Reason: Spelling error

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 00:33

I guess this higher grade may mean recurrence is more likely further down the road?

Actually, a Gleason upgrade post-op does not appear to increase the risk of recurrence later. If they got the whole thing out, it makes no difference what pattern the cells showed under a microscope! 

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 00:43

Ah yes, the old "aren't you lucky it was only prostate cancer" thing :-( 

John quickly developed a standard response to this kind of comment - "yes, wearing incontinence pads and sticking a needle in my kcid to have sex is a laugh a minute." It shocked or embarrassed people but it also led to friends asking further questions and getting a better understanding of why prostate health is so important. His friends all know about the injections and pump - they have a laugh & a bit of a joke about it sometimes and that's okay. When friends have subsequently been diagnosed, they have felt able to talk to J about their worries or check out questions before an appointment, etc. 

If anything, I found it harder dealing with comments like "oh, my dad (brother / neighbour) had that and he's fine now!" to which my response is always "oh, that's so good to her. Tell me, does he use a vacuum pump to get an erection?" They usually have no idea because they have never asked their dad / brother / neighbour so there is just a stunned silence 🤣 

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 03:59

... I have become an Evangelist (some may say bore) and tell anyone who will listen to watch out for symptoms and DO NOT just think 'Oh, my slight urinary problems are just down to the aging' ...

There are consequences to action and inaction with prostate cancer. As a result of my diagnosis a friend of mine (airline pilot, early 60s) who has slight urinary problems got tested. Due to very poor regulation by CAA and a lazy consultant, and the vagaries of international employment law, he lost his job. The cancer has remained dormant for three years so far, he is on AS. Now he could afford to retire early, but I really think he would prefer be working, so not a great outcome for him. It is also the case that about 20% of men are over treated and can suffer incontinence and ED completely unnecessarily ( the problem is we don't know which 20% it will be). 12,000 men per year are undertreated, we know that because that's how many die each year of prostate cancer. 

Dave

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 08:53
Quote:

Some very wise words from everyone -thank you.

I love the motorcycling advice, dark humour can and does help. Lol.

For me, I think that knowledge gives the power to make an informed decision about treatment. A high psa or an abnormal DRE may not mean the worst news but could (should?) Trigger some further investigation.

I wish I had gone to my g.p earlier. If I am honest it was probably the gloved finger thing that put me off. In comparison to what was to come this was insignificant and if I had gone earlier maybe my op could have been nerve sparing and my chances of recurrence somewhat less.

The reason I went for a checkup was reading one of those posters that this charity puts in gent's loos above the urinals. This poster was in my local cattle market-it may have saved my life.

User
Posted 06 Jun 2023 at 09:28

My dad was unfortunately in the same boat. He felt nothing, he didn’t have any known family history to worry about. I had no clue how common this cancer was. GP had checked his PSA 4 years ago, I found the result yesterday and it was 4.42 and they did nothing about it and also didn’t follow up with further checks. He only got diagnosed in Jan this year because a friend talked about having some issues and another GP asked would you like me to add anything else to your blood test results and he said add the PSA. He’d also seen a doctor on ITV talking about it. 

I’m just glad it got diagnosed when it did as it turned out to be aggressive cancer. 

User
Posted 07 Jun 2023 at 21:21

Hi Farmer John

I was a farmer myself a few years ago, really miss it some days. I had a non nerve sparing RALP last September, so no natural erections. I found there was support for the physical effects of the operation but precious little on the mental effects. I asked various nurses, doctors and urologists about how I was feeling but no one wanted to chat with me about it. I felt totally emasculated and started to get pretty depressed. Fortunately, my work has a confidential service where you can talk to a therapist for an hour FOC. The guy I ended up talking to was a therapist in New York! I just opened up to him and he suggested what I was going through was grief. We finished chatting and the next day I felt so much better, just like a switch was flicked. Since then I have used two VED's, a Bathmate and Soma erect and after a few miss starts have now managed to enjoy sex. 

I would say keep pressing to talk to somebody, even though I've got some good friends, I found talking to a bloke who I have never met really helped. I had sciatica when I was farming but still had to milk the cows, which wasn't good. If you can, rest as much as you can, it's a major operation and bouncing around on a tractor seat might not be the best way to recuperate 😬 Having an understanding wife really helps.

User
Posted 07 Jun 2023 at 21:42
Hi FJ

I'm 3 weeks post RARP and haven't had an erection yet - not had the consult yet with the surgeon so no idea if she was able to spare the nerves but I have discovered that you don't need an erection to have a pleasurable orgasm - so I guess it depends on how your partner is able to cope and whether playful changes to your sex life can become the norm.

Good luck and may the 0.0 PSA continue!

User
Posted 09 Jun 2023 at 05:19

Hi JDJH and Steve

Some very useful comments that resonate with me so thank you.

A farmer who is local to me but I did not know phoned me out of the blue as he had heard on the grapevine that I had had this op and he was six months into his recovery.

I was still catheterised at the time and very miserable, but what a difference that call made- just to know that I wasn't on my own and that it was OK to struggle and that it would get better with time was blessed relief.

It IS getting better and talking about it with others who are going through the same things helps immensely. Life can and does go on, incontinance pads CAN be compatible with work and a social life. Penis pumps can be fun.  A 'flaccid' orgasm is possible and pleasureable. Waiting for the next PSA test result is hard but not life defining.

These are just a few of the things that I have learned so far. I am sure there are highs and lows still to come though.