I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Possible pathological fractures

User
Posted 24 Apr 2023 at 22:29

Hi all, my profile updates on my difficult journey so far.  I had an unscheduled call from oncologist asking (telling me) not to run ( this was a main outlet for my mental health in this battle so far).  This followed a bone scan last week and there was extreme concern around possible pathological fractures to the thigh bones if I did go running.  Luckily I was finding it tough to run due to response to 3 and and 4th Chemo so this probably saved the day in that way.  

My questions is does anyone have any experience of being told the are in similar danger and if so what if any proposed treatment was offered or suggested? Did you take it? Was it successful?   I do accept my cancer is progressing quickly but I don’t want to throw in the towel completely with keeping fit if I can avoid by giving some treatment a go. 

Any thoughts gladly received.  Thanks in advance. 

Michael 

User
Posted 25 Apr 2023 at 00:45
Sometimes, they offer surgery to pin the bone. Alternatives may include Zometa if you are not already on it (but you will need to see a dentist before starting treatment) and / or 6 rounds of Radium 223 (but perhaps not until the chemo is finished)

Swimming is very good for men with prostate cancer, particularly if they are struggling with fatigue or have bone mets although you would need to check with the medical team whether the thigh bones are okay for that .... plus swimming on the high risk days between chemo infusions may not be a great idea

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Apr 2023 at 04:53

Hi Lyn, thank for this helpful reply.  I am already on alendronic acid once per week.  Thanks I did not know that surgery might be an option.  I did wonder if Raduim might be used but again was uncertain.  I have 6 chemos to go but I am not sure they will finish given the poor response.

I must admit I am not much of a swimmer but it is an option given the issues with impact.   I am hoping to be able to run again but maybe that is just wishful thinking.  Oncology have asked for an orthapedic opinion so maybe that will move things forward.  This information is useful though and I can ask my oncologist on Friday what the plan is or will be. 

Cheers

Michael 

User
Posted 25 Apr 2023 at 19:43

Hi Mgfo168,

Just sending you best wishes and hoping that they get this thing under control.  Take good care of yourself.

JedSee.

User
Posted 25 Apr 2023 at 19:58

Thank you Jedsee much appreciated I hope so too.  Walking isn’t doing it for me at the moment but as Lyn said I may look into swimming too.  Hope you are well. 

Michael 

User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 00:14

I had a similar issue when I was first diagnosed. I have a met in the neck of my femur.  The oncologist panicked and said no heavy exercise/activity where I might fall. That was a crushing blow for an indoor rowing and forest school teacher.  I told them I couldn't live like that, so something would have to be done.  With that in mind I was booked in for an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for a possible hip replacement. After enduring 6 weeks being careful I finally had the appointment and the ortho chap said don't worry the cancer is laying down bone not removing it - get on with your life!

So my advice is all is not lost and make sure you see the right consultant (not just your oncologist)!

User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 03:50

Hi Forestjohn thank you for this information.  This is very useful to know.  Like yourself quality of life is everything for me now and life without being able to run while I am still capable from a cardio perspective is not ideal.  In fairness to my oncologist she has referred me to Orthopaedic’s at my local hospital here.  I haven’t heard from them yet but I expect I will soon, or I hope so.  I am hoping it is a panic about nothing and as you say the correct consultant calms the situation down.  Thanks again, I will update here when I hear more from the medics about the situation.  

User
Posted 27 Apr 2023 at 16:08

Hi Michael 

Have you considered cycling?I had to knock my jogging on the head when diagnosed but got myself an e/bike,ok it's not like running and I'm no lance Armstrong!!but I go out on it 3/4 times a week and do about 20 miles at a time,there's as much resistance there as you can manage and the battery's there for back up when you feel you need it.

It's not as hard on the joints but still gets the old heart pumping and your out in the fresh air,I'd recommend it.

All the best Mike regards Phil.

User
Posted 27 Apr 2023 at 20:31

Hi Phil. That’s a good idea.  I am speaking to oncologist tomorrow and I will be asking about other possible exercise options including cycling.  It would certainly be good to get out in the fresh air.  An electric bike is a fine idea as well.  Thanks Phil, hope you are well. 

Cheers

Michael