I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Chest pain during hot flush

User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 08:59

I have been on HT for just over a year and have had hot flushes from the start. Unfortunately it coincides with a significant chest pain. During the day this is not a particular problem but at night it seems more severe and wakes me 3 or 4 times a night. The pain lasts for approximately 30 seconds. The GP originally diagnosed that the pain was an Oesophageal spasm. I have had an endoscopy and had my heart scanned and all is normal. I would like to ask if anybody else has had a similar problem, and if a remedy had been found.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 12:39
Hi Steve-B

I’ve been on HT for nearly a year but not had this side-effect. I had bad hot flushes until I had acupuncture and then they seemed to ease a lot. If they’ve ruled out any medical reason for this happening, I wonder whether it would be worth given this a go.

Stiff, and at times aching joints is my main issue at the moment.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 13:33
Thanks Decho, certainly worth looking into.

I get up in the morning and have to do a lot of bending and stretching to get rid of the stiffness, at times I feel that I have aged 10 years!

User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 17:35

I've never heard of this.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 17:46
Nor does it seem have the medical profession. I did see an article where some women have suffered chest pain when they have a hot flush when going through menopause. Unfortunately the article didn't give any explanation to what caused the pain.
User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 19:58

Steve-B,
Are you taking anything to help with hot flushes? I take sage leaf capsules after breakfast and dinner. I’m not sure whether they have helped me or not. Some people also say Evening Primrose Oil. I was also speaking to someone on HT who was prescribed something to help, not sure what it was though. Just wondering if the hot flushes were milder if the chest pains would cease. I still get flushes but they’re much less frequent(I was getting them every 30mins at first) and much milder.

Derek

User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 22:14

This is another bit of the 'everyone is different' story I'm afraid Steve. I don't have pains as such, but a discomfort right in the centre of my chest. There is a sequence to my flushes: need a wee ( this is what wakes me up); chest discomfort for a minute,  then the flush for about 5 minutes. I didn't have much joy with acupuncture or sage leaf, though others have reported better results. 

User
Posted 27 Apr 2023 at 09:04

Hi Derek, thanks for your post. I will try the sage. My oncologist prescribed sleeping tablets which although not affecting the spasm/hot flush it did allow me to get back to sleep more easily. My GP wasn't keen on the prescription as it can be addictive and eventually you build up resistance. So I only take sparingly.

User
Posted 27 Apr 2023 at 09:13

Hi, too true everyone is different, though it does sound that you have a similar discomfort. Mine is a spasm under the sternum that takes about 30 seconds to start subsiding, and about five minutes to fully disappear. However my sequence is in reverse; the pain wakes me almost immediately I have the flush, and at the end get the feeling I need to wee.