Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Has it gone to my lungs

User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 13:34

Hi all.

my PSA is 0.12 and has been there for the last couple of months…

I have been having my PSA tested every month till now as I am on Appalutamide as well as Zoladex.

Now going onto 2 monthly PSA check.

last 3-4

months I have had a lot of breathlessness when I do anything strenuous …… like going up a couple of flights of stairs.

sometimes I feel like my lungs are aching.

Saw my GP today who had a listen to my lungs and checked my O2 levels and said all seems ok…. Sent for an X-ray and wants me to speak with my oncologist re getting some scans done….

Thats even with my PSA having fallen to 0.12 and been there last 2 months .

Could it have spread I’m my case?

Shaun

User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 20:57

Just checked your profile. You have bone mets, you've been on zoladex and apalutamide for about a year. PSA has fallen and stayed low.

I think the breathlessness is more likely a side effect of the meds. If your PSA was increasing I would be more worried.

Dave

User
Posted 27 Apr 2023 at 16:13

Hi shaun

I have a slight showing in my lungs,yes I get breathless quicker,I was relatively fit before being diagnosed,then bang no exercise what so ever for 6 months makes a difference plus put into the mix we're getting no younger,think you need to add those factors to your thoughts.

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 27 Apr 2023 at 16:36

Breathlessness is a possible side effect of hormone therapy. I'm not sure what the mechanism is, but it would be worth asking your GP for a blood test to check FBC (full blood counts), iron levels, and B12 levels. Hormone therapy does make men slightly anemic by reducing their hemoglobin level to the lower range of a woman. If there's anything else contributing to a reduction of hemoglobin on top of that, such as low iron, low B12, then that's not going to help and could be treated. It would also be useful to take the blood test results along to your oncology appointment.

SpO2 levels will not show up low hemoglobin (SpO2 will show as normal if your hemoglobin is saturated with oxygen, but you are short of hemoglobin).

Edited by member 27 Apr 2023 at 16:40  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 20:57

Just checked your profile. You have bone mets, you've been on zoladex and apalutamide for about a year. PSA has fallen and stayed low.

I think the breathlessness is more likely a side effect of the meds. If your PSA was increasing I would be more worried.

Dave

User
Posted 27 Apr 2023 at 16:13

Hi shaun

I have a slight showing in my lungs,yes I get breathless quicker,I was relatively fit before being diagnosed,then bang no exercise what so ever for 6 months makes a difference plus put into the mix we're getting no younger,think you need to add those factors to your thoughts.

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 27 Apr 2023 at 16:28

Thanks for the reply’s Dave and Phil.

I have an appointment beginning of June with the Appalutamide nurse. She has spoken with my oncologist yesterday and it’s been agreed that I have a face to face with them then…

Im hoping that the wait till then means they are not too concerned…

My own go to ring me next Wed with result from X-ray and decide about scans…… hoping he’s being to over keen and it turns out to be something else .

shaun

User
Posted 27 Apr 2023 at 16:36

Breathlessness is a possible side effect of hormone therapy. I'm not sure what the mechanism is, but it would be worth asking your GP for a blood test to check FBC (full blood counts), iron levels, and B12 levels. Hormone therapy does make men slightly anemic by reducing their hemoglobin level to the lower range of a woman. If there's anything else contributing to a reduction of hemoglobin on top of that, such as low iron, low B12, then that's not going to help and could be treated. It would also be useful to take the blood test results along to your oncology appointment.

SpO2 levels will not show up low hemoglobin (SpO2 will show as normal if your hemoglobin is saturated with oxygen, but you are short of hemoglobin).

Edited by member 27 Apr 2023 at 16:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Apr 2023 at 18:31
I didnt/dont have mets thankfully so no actual comparison but I was on Zoladex for 3 yrs together with couple years on enzalutimide&abiraterone as part of trial. I often got pretty breathless when put a tiny bit of effort in say walking up a slight incline etc.,also actually had real difficulty getting up off the floor had to use the support of chair/sofa. Thankfully I wasnt concerned at all which I know makes a big difference and it was as a result of the HT, those issues faded&disappeared.

Peter