I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA 629

User
Posted 27 Apr 2023 at 14:02

4 weeks ago I was unaware of prostate problems other than getting up to urinate twice a night.  

I saw my GP just before the Easter Holidays who unfortunately was a locum for the holiday period and hardly spoke to me at all. After sticking his finger in my bottom with dry gloves and without any gel or lubricant, he told me I would be referred for extra treatment. My bottom was sore for the next 4 day due to this rough treatment.

A blood test was taken and I was told the result was PSA 629. Can anyone explain what the implications of PSA 629 are?

I have had the MRI and am currently waiting for the Transperinial Biopsy.

I should mention that I am a fit 79 year old and a regular exerciser. I swim 600 meters 5 sometimes 6 days a week, and other than a tearful wife life, seems to be the same.

Stay well everyone
JEFF

User
Posted 27 Apr 2023 at 14:47
Depends on the result of your MRI and biopsy.. the fact you are otherwise symptom free is good news for your longevity.

Your dilemma is likely to be how aggressive you want to be with the treatment as all the treatments impact QOL. As a minimum I suspect you will be on Hormone therapy, you may be offered 2nd line hormone therapy and or chemo too, maybe even radio therapy.

Suggest you familiarise yourself with all those options before your next appointment so you can make informed decisions.

With that PSA none of the treatments is likely to be curative but at 79 and male they may mean you get to die of something else unrelated to PC in many years time.

User
Posted 27 Apr 2023 at 16:09
A PSA in the high hundreds almost certainly indicates prostate cancer which has spread outside the prostate. It can't therefore be cured. There are lots of treatments available to keep it at bay, however, and at your age you stand a good chance of dying with it, not from it.

It really is just a matter of waiting for the diagnostic tests to be completed now and seeing what treatments are recommended.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 28 Apr 2023 at 08:46
Hi Jeff, you are asking exactly the same question I had when my OH started with PSA 290 last Sept. It seems really scary but as others have said you need to wait for the results to come through. For my OH at the first meeting with his urologist he was told he was 99% certain he had PCa and was put on bicalutamide for 4 weeks and 6 monthly injections of Decapeptyl which started last Nov as a palliative hormone therapy, followed by a bone scan (clear) and CT scan. He only had his biopsy this January 2023 with full diagnosis this March of Gleason 5+4 T3b N1 M0 and by then his PSA had fallen to 23 after 5 months on hormone treatment. His oncologist propses a curative aggressive treatment of chemo, RT and 3 years hormones, although my OH is declining the chemo he is at planning stage for RT. My view of the high PSA is that this indicates a higher risk which all needs to be determined by the series of scans, biopsies and tests. If my OH hadn't been started on hormones so quickly he could have had an MRI, which the oncologist prefers to have. She did mention that some people do seem to have higher PSA levels than others. So for now my OH's initial PSA of 290 did not mean metastases (he is late 70's and very fit too). Best wishes to you and your OH - this forum is really supportive so keep asking all your questions.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Apr 2023 at 14:47
Depends on the result of your MRI and biopsy.. the fact you are otherwise symptom free is good news for your longevity.

Your dilemma is likely to be how aggressive you want to be with the treatment as all the treatments impact QOL. As a minimum I suspect you will be on Hormone therapy, you may be offered 2nd line hormone therapy and or chemo too, maybe even radio therapy.

Suggest you familiarise yourself with all those options before your next appointment so you can make informed decisions.

With that PSA none of the treatments is likely to be curative but at 79 and male they may mean you get to die of something else unrelated to PC in many years time.

User
Posted 27 Apr 2023 at 16:09
A PSA in the high hundreds almost certainly indicates prostate cancer which has spread outside the prostate. It can't therefore be cured. There are lots of treatments available to keep it at bay, however, and at your age you stand a good chance of dying with it, not from it.

It really is just a matter of waiting for the diagnostic tests to be completed now and seeing what treatments are recommended.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 28 Apr 2023 at 08:46
Hi Jeff, you are asking exactly the same question I had when my OH started with PSA 290 last Sept. It seems really scary but as others have said you need to wait for the results to come through. For my OH at the first meeting with his urologist he was told he was 99% certain he had PCa and was put on bicalutamide for 4 weeks and 6 monthly injections of Decapeptyl which started last Nov as a palliative hormone therapy, followed by a bone scan (clear) and CT scan. He only had his biopsy this January 2023 with full diagnosis this March of Gleason 5+4 T3b N1 M0 and by then his PSA had fallen to 23 after 5 months on hormone treatment. His oncologist propses a curative aggressive treatment of chemo, RT and 3 years hormones, although my OH is declining the chemo he is at planning stage for RT. My view of the high PSA is that this indicates a higher risk which all needs to be determined by the series of scans, biopsies and tests. If my OH hadn't been started on hormones so quickly he could have had an MRI, which the oncologist prefers to have. She did mention that some people do seem to have higher PSA levels than others. So for now my OH's initial PSA of 290 did not mean metastases (he is late 70's and very fit too). Best wishes to you and your OH - this forum is really supportive so keep asking all your questions.
User
Posted 28 Apr 2023 at 22:12

Thanks Guys and Gals 

For your wonderful knowledge and support. I really am most grateful.

What a wonderful source of knowledge this forum is!

Stay well everyone

JEFF