I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

uti infection

User
Posted 28 Apr 2023 at 22:28

hi I had a zoledronic acid infusion on Tuesday and Wednesday night was peeing blood, phoned 111 and they advised me to go to a/e after many hours waiting ,they found I was running a temperature and fever, with a uti infection peeing every 20mns,was put on a drip all night, then left late morning with anti bacterial tablets,antibiotics, I don't know if the zoledronic acid did this I was ok before the infusion, any help please. 

User
Posted 29 Apr 2023 at 08:12

A quick search seems to suggest UTI is a risk factor with bisphosphonates, but I've no idea what the mechanism is.

On the other hand, mets dissolving out calcium from bone resulting in high calcium levels in the blood causes the kidneys to pass calcium which can form stones, and stones are certainly a common cause of UTIs. These people will often be on bisphosphonates, although the action of the bisphosphonates in this case to reduce calcium dissolved out of bone and lower calcium levels in the blood is likely to reduce incidence of UTIs. So this may not be your case.

User
Posted 29 Apr 2023 at 21:40
thanks, but I don't understand that, I have never read that zoledronic acid infusion can cause uti,if that's the case I will keep getting utis,I am taking trimethoprim anti bacterial tablets, I don't think I should have had zoledronic acid infusion unless it gets better.
User
Posted 02 May 2023 at 01:06
Radar, it is really important that you carry on having the Zometa unless your doctors tell you to stop. Zometa can cause UTIs sometimes in women who have been on it for a long time but I think the likelihood of your UTI being caused by an infusion the day before is very, very small. Talk to your doctor when you go for the next infusion.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 May 2023 at 20:59
Lyn, my next zoledronic acid infusion is in a years time, if it's not the infusion that has caused my uti could it be my prostate cancer, I finish trimethoprim antibiotic tomorrow, but it may return.
User
Posted 02 May 2023 at 22:28
No - it couldn't be the prostate cancer because you have been clear of cancer for many years now. Probably just one of those weird things with no explanation
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard