Error

Some reasons to take vitamin D

User
Posted 28 Apr 2023 at 23:10

This fella on u tube provides some excellent evidence for taking vitamin D

https://youtu.be/YjtROU1MeTo

User
Posted 29 Apr 2023 at 14:28
The British Heart Foundation recommends that everyone should take vitamin D supplements in Autumn and Winter, but if you're in reasonable health your body should manufacture sufficient on its own through exposure to sunlight in Spring and Summer.

Chris

User
Posted 29 Apr 2023 at 14:30
Not if you keep covered up and apply sunscreen...
User
Posted 03 May 2023 at 18:41

From  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9636470/   published in 2022.

Vitamin D supplementation for the prevention of total cancer incidence and mortality: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis 

Results. We included 13 randomised control trials in our study.  Vitamin D supplementation had no effect on the risk of total cancer incidence,  total cancer mortality,  and total mortality.      The overall quality of evidence was high for all outcomes.              Discussion.        Vitamin D supplementation is ineffective in reducing total cancer incidence and mortality in largely vitamin D-replete older adult populations.   

User
Posted 03 May 2023 at 23:43
A couple of points:

The 2022 study was on cancer in general not prostate specifically.

The 2022 study found:

"Vitamin D decreased the risk of cancer mortality in participants with low baseline 25(OH)D levels (≤50 nmol/L) but not in those with baseline 25(OH)D levels >50"

So for all cancers risk is increased if you do not have sufficient Vitamin D circulating.

As vitamin D is cheap and harmless at the recommended levels it would seem sensible to take during the dark months of the year as discussed on the video.

User
Posted 04 May 2023 at 12:27

Another factor concerning Vitamin D is a correlation between low Vitamin D levels during puberty, and a raised risk of prostate cancer in later life.

User
Posted 05 May 2023 at 17:39

Interesting, I used to watch his videos during the pandemic.  He takes a very high level of Vitamin D3 every day.   The NHS say a limit of 4000 IU is recommended.   The study says every 800 IU you take reduces your chance of death by 9% for PCa sufferers and all causes.

I've been taking a supplement of about 500 IU every day this year so we'll see how it goes.  I might increase it to 1000.

It's confusing that there are 3 ways of measuring Vitamin D3 quantity and that it's Vitamin D3 not just Vitamin D.  The IU or International Unit seems the least confusing.  It's easy to confuse 20 nmol/L with 20 microG/ml.

I'm not sure about the claim D3 can reduce Gleason in the other study.

Another doctor on YouTube is saying increasing your heart rate through exercise for 150 minutes a week also slows progression although it's based on a lab test of PCa cells.