I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Incontinence and Pelvic Floor

User
Posted 02 May 2023 at 13:30

I am just over two weeks after RALP surgery for a T2 cancer, thinking about strengthening the pelvic floor to improve bladder leakage, apart from doing Kegels, has anyone heard of, or used a Innovo Pelvic Floor Trainer, basically it's a pair of pants you put on which uses the same principle as the fitness Abbs devices that are marketed, stimulating the muscle by means of electrical pulse to strengthen it, I was thinking at some point after the surgery has had time to heal properly I might consider buying one if people have used this equipment and found it has had a positive effect, it's not cheap at around £250.00 so trying to gain views before the credit card comes out. Any view/opinions I would be very grateful of.

User
Posted 02 May 2023 at 15:22
Far too early to consider something like this. At this stage, your incontinence is not due to a problem with your pelvic floor - it is because you have had one sphincter removed and the other one has been moved, jiggled about or cut & bruised. Your brain needs time to re-learn bladder control. No machine is going to do that.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 May 2023 at 12:24

Way too soon. Please take medical advice before embarking on any pelvic floor exercises and/or aids. Took me 5 weeks to be fully continent and still get the odd rare leak/drip 3.5yrs down the line but it’s cool as still ‘cancer free’.

nerves in that area take a few years to recover from surgery. 

in terms of scar tissue around sphincter that starts to soften around month 6 and plateaus around a year so that’s when you will notice most improvement. 

should all settle but just give it time as takes longer than you think.

User
Posted 26 Sep 2023 at 13:55

This is heartening as I am pretty down about leaking.  It has only been a week since catheter out but when I am sitting there is no leaking but as soon as I start walking like in a shop it is line an open tap and is so demoralising.   If I could feel that in a few weeks or. Even months it will not be like this.    That’s ok

User
Posted 26 Sep 2023 at 16:37
Slim slim

My nurses recommended doing pelvic floor exercises and I found the Squeezy app useful in making sue I did them regularly. I found the thought of incontinence the most frightening after effect of surgery. By doing the exercises I was 90% continent about six weeks after the catheter was removed. I’m now 9 months postoperative and am 99% continent. It takes time and patience.