I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Need clarity

User
Posted 02 May 2023 at 17:57

Hi I've recently ( 18 days ago ) had a prostate biopsy, I'm obviously concerned, but according to my urologists secretary, I'm unlikely to get any results until after I've had a cystoscopy in around two weeks time .....is this normal ?

User
Posted 02 May 2023 at 18:45
Results typically take several weeks, I'm afraid. I know it's easier said than done but try to put it out of your mind and get on with life.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 02 May 2023 at 22:20

Many people will tell you that the waiting is the worst part….I can’t say it gets easier but you learn to live with it to a certain extent. As Chris says, try and get on with your life, I know it’s not easy but keep as active as possible and be good to yourself. Even small things like going out for a coffee with family or friends.

if your struggling mentally talk to your GP about help or phone the team at ProstatCancerUK who are so knowledgable and empathetic. Also consider going along and having a chat at your local Maggies centre if you have one near you. I’ve found the more you talk to others who understand, the easier it becomes, not easy at first I agree but worth it.

All the best and there are so many people on here with amazing knowledge who will keep you right.

Derek

User
Posted 03 May 2023 at 10:18
Gonna disagree, if you think the wait time is excessive chase them up, the NHS is very good at letting people slip through bureaucratic cracks!
User
Posted 03 May 2023 at 11:04

I went through diagnosis in 2018 before the current delays, and biopsy results too 3 weeks then. That was a week to get the samples analysed by the histopathologist, then a week to have them reviewed on the next weekly MDT meeting and the consultants to decide next actions, and then post out an appointment giving you a week's notice.

The first step has now got longer due to insufficient histopathologists for the workload.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 May 2023 at 18:45
Results typically take several weeks, I'm afraid. I know it's easier said than done but try to put it out of your mind and get on with life.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 02 May 2023 at 22:20

Many people will tell you that the waiting is the worst part….I can’t say it gets easier but you learn to live with it to a certain extent. As Chris says, try and get on with your life, I know it’s not easy but keep as active as possible and be good to yourself. Even small things like going out for a coffee with family or friends.

if your struggling mentally talk to your GP about help or phone the team at ProstatCancerUK who are so knowledgable and empathetic. Also consider going along and having a chat at your local Maggies centre if you have one near you. I’ve found the more you talk to others who understand, the easier it becomes, not easy at first I agree but worth it.

All the best and there are so many people on here with amazing knowledge who will keep you right.

Derek

User
Posted 03 May 2023 at 10:18
Gonna disagree, if you think the wait time is excessive chase them up, the NHS is very good at letting people slip through bureaucratic cracks!
User
Posted 03 May 2023 at 11:04

I went through diagnosis in 2018 before the current delays, and biopsy results too 3 weeks then. That was a week to get the samples analysed by the histopathologist, then a week to have them reviewed on the next weekly MDT meeting and the consultants to decide next actions, and then post out an appointment giving you a week's notice.

The first step has now got longer due to insufficient histopathologists for the workload.

User
Posted 03 May 2023 at 22:38

Hi 

In can be done! I went from referral to start of  HT in6 weeks.

MRI, CT, biopsy, cystoscopy a d bone scan, onco interview before starting HT. All over Christmas and New  year.

All the best to Ashford and St Peters and Royal Surrey.

Peternigel

Edited by member 03 May 2023 at 22:39  | Reason: Not specified