I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

MRI and contrast infusion

User
Posted 04 May 2023 at 01:04

I'm preparing for my first MRI procedure and am reading up on what's involved in that. I try to stay away from possible unnecessary procedures. Is it 'standard' to get infused with some kind of contrast fluid or/and dye?

thank you 

User
Posted 04 May 2023 at 10:45
Sometimes 'they' will start the MRI with needle in place, then part way through pause and cause contrast to enter your hand or arm and then continue with sequences of scan. You may feel a change of temperature in your arm as contrast, usually Gadolinium, enters but nothing to worry about. There has been some concern about some Gadolinium not entirely being excreted if often given over time. However, I have had 14 MRI's now, the majority of which have had contrast and no apparent problem. You won't feel any pain but despite wearing ear defenders you will hear strange noises and possibly vibrations through the MRI table during some sequences. You may feel cool air being blown round your head.

I find it best to shut my eyes, keep still and think of other things. Sometimes some music can be played or you are invited to bring your own. This will be interrupted as necessary to give you breathing instructions or tell you how advanced the scan is etc.

Nothing to worry about but you hold an emergency button should you need the scan to stop, maybe a fit or coughing fit for example although this will be observed as you will be remotely monitored.

Barry
User
Posted 04 May 2023 at 12:22

The contrast (Gadolinium) is usually used in the UK for mpMRI prostate scans. It allows the flushing rate through the blood vessels to be seen. Cancer tends to grow poor blood supplies, so it shows up as a different flushing rate from good prostate tissues.
Gadolinium can't be used if you have poor kidney function (typically eGFR < 45).
You might be asked to stop taking some medications which put additional load on the kidneys.
Some places no longer use it on 3T MRI scanners with modern software.
A very small number of people are allergic to Gadolinium.

The Gadolinuium is injected as the last part of the scan, and the rate it flushes through the different parts of the prostate is recorded.

Important to drink plenty of fluid afterwards so you pee a lot to wash it out as quickly as possible.