I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Tips and advice on recovery after prostatectomy

User
Posted 07 May 2023 at 17:03

My husband has had a radical, robotic prostatectomy last week. We were given no leaflets, information or advice on what to expect in his recovery from the hospital. Ref : bowel movements, pain, moving around as its been 6 days and no bowel movements even though taking laxatives, drinking plenty of water and doing bits of walking and eating small amounts of food.

User
Posted 07 May 2023 at 18:26

When your husband was discharged,  the hospital should have provided a phone number of the ward, or team, to contact. As it has been six days, I would suggest to call them.

P.

User
Posted 07 May 2023 at 20:29

Hi Nessylynn,

I agree with Pawmarks.  Contact the hospital ward immediately and ask for medical advice.  It seems that you have had a very poor service from them.  Later, and if you are in England, you may also wish to consider contacting the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (P.A.L.S.) Office to make a complaint.  I think every hospital has such an office.  The other nations of Britain may have similar arrangments.

Good luck to you both.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 07 May 2023 at 20:56

On medical advice I doubled the recommended dose of senna. Be careful not to overdo the laxatives and go the other way. I finished up having an ambulance ride to hospital because of the pain caused by constipation. No straining to pass that that first motion. Once the bowels start working again he will start feeling better.

Thanks Chris 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 May 2023 at 18:26

When your husband was discharged,  the hospital should have provided a phone number of the ward, or team, to contact. As it has been six days, I would suggest to call them.

P.

User
Posted 07 May 2023 at 20:29

Hi Nessylynn,

I agree with Pawmarks.  Contact the hospital ward immediately and ask for medical advice.  It seems that you have had a very poor service from them.  Later, and if you are in England, you may also wish to consider contacting the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (P.A.L.S.) Office to make a complaint.  I think every hospital has such an office.  The other nations of Britain may have similar arrangments.

Good luck to you both.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 07 May 2023 at 20:56

On medical advice I doubled the recommended dose of senna. Be careful not to overdo the laxatives and go the other way. I finished up having an ambulance ride to hospital because of the pain caused by constipation. No straining to pass that that first motion. Once the bowels start working again he will start feeling better.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 09 May 2023 at 18:42

Hi, What do you mean eating small amounts of food?  I ate as normal but I always have a fairly high fibre diet.  Is he eating bran with his breakfast or wholemeal bread.  Apples. I find ground flaxseed very good for softening if you sprinkle a spoonful onto a cereal such as muesli. Regards Peter

User
Posted 09 May 2023 at 20:57

I think I’ve been lucky in comparison to your husband as I was given a few instructions: no heavy lifting for 6 weeks and after that build up gradually: drink 3 litres of water a day to help the body recover; I was given a supply of laxatives but have a very good GP who prescribed something more gentle but more effective. 

I also had a direct phone number to the Urology nurses who were on hand to answer any questions or concerns I had.

For me, the catheter was a nuisance however the Community Nurses dropped off a barrier cream which relieved the discomfort.

Following removal of the catheter there were some small accidents but nothing that caused upset. Pelvic floor exercises help in regaining control of the bladder.

You will find a lot of useful information in this community, from people with a far better knowledge than me.

Recovery takes time - be patient.

User
Posted 10 May 2023 at 10:15

Hi. Yes all the stuff he should have wholemeal bread, pasta , fruit etc but was only eating little portions but more or less eating normally now. Rang nurse yesterday and she said to cut out the day time laxatives and just take the 2 night time tablets. He had his catheter out today and the nurse seemed surprised he was taking so much. I said it said on box as directed by doctor and as we havent been seen by anyone or other advice he did but thats why we rang up nurse 🤦‍♀️ she was really nice and was pleased with his wounds and progress 🙏 Ness

User
Posted 10 May 2023 at 10:21

Hi, yes could have been much better aftercare.  Nurse yesterday said to cut down laxatives and also stop tramadol after today and just paracetamol as only in discomfort now and not too much pain. Go back on one a day if too painful. Had catheter out this morn and nurse was pleased with wounds and progress. Yet to see results of catheter coming out 🤞🤞. Ness