I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Salvage Radiotherapy & Continence

User
Posted 09 May 2023 at 12:02

I’m wondering if anyone can share their healing experience after radiotherapy regarding continence.

I had a Radical Prostatectomy 5 years ago, after which my continence quickly returned pretty much to normal. After Salvage Radiotherapy (with 6 months of hormone treatment) ending in mid-September 2022, my continence remained largely unaffected. However, in the last 2 or 3 months, i.e. 5 to 6 months after radiotherapy ended, I’ve become less secure. I’ve had the odd slight leakage, 2 or 3 times in the daytime over the past 2 to 3 months, and 3 times during the night. I have an increased sensation that it might happen, and it does sometimes feel as if my bladder wasn’t completely emptied after visiting the loo.

I know that after radiotherapy continence can worsen in the long term, so I’m wondering whether I’m already heading that way, or whether I might be going through an extended healing process, with ups and downs regarding continence. I still use the NHS “Squeezy” app.

Any shared experience, advice and comments welcome!

User
Posted 09 May 2023 at 19:53
I think it would be worth you seeing a physiotherapist with expertise in this area - even if just to check that you are doing the pelvic floor exercises properly.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 May 2023 at 21:18

My continence started to deteriorate at the end of RT and reached a low point around two months after RT finished. I have certainly had little ups and downs but by seven months post RT I was back to where I was (continence wise) before RT. I didn't experience any issues with voiding my bladder.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 May 2023 at 19:53
I think it would be worth you seeing a physiotherapist with expertise in this area - even if just to check that you are doing the pelvic floor exercises properly.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 May 2023 at 21:18

My continence started to deteriorate at the end of RT and reached a low point around two months after RT finished. I have certainly had little ups and downs but by seven months post RT I was back to where I was (continence wise) before RT. I didn't experience any issues with voiding my bladder.

User
Posted 09 May 2023 at 23:07

Good point LynEyre - thank you!

User
Posted 09 May 2023 at 23:13

Thanks ChrisBromsgove. Hope your path continues to be promising.