I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Very bloody catheter

User
Posted 14 May 2023 at 09:16

I had surgery to remove my prostate (Gleason 8) May 4th and immediately had problems with the catheter.   I had to have debris removed from my bladder 4 times in hospital, each time it was excruciatingly painful.   Now home one week after 3 days in hospital and still getting deep red blood in the catheter bag if I move around, by which I mean moving around the house.  If I sit still it's quite clear/pink.   I've met with the surgeon 3 days ago who didn't seem too concerned, though he did say he didn't know what is causing the blood.   I'm not on anticoagulants (Surgeon said I didn't need them) so don't want to sit still too much, but I'm afraid to move in case it causes my bag to fill with blood.   

Have others had this experience?   Is it usual to not be prescribed anticoagulants?   I don't have other medical problems.

User
Posted 14 May 2023 at 15:36

I was told rosé coloured urine was probably okay ,red wine colour needs investigation. Blood in urine does sometimes look worse than it is. A little bit concerning that your surgeon doesn't know what is causing it. I was told if the new joint was leaking you would probably feel quite ill. I note it is over  6 hours since you wrote this post. Were you given an emergency number to call or you could try ringing the ward that discharged you. Don't let anyone other than a urologist change the catheter. 

You have obviously already discovered that taking it easy is helping, but you also need to keep mobile, for the reasons you said. Apparently not all hospital issue the injections.

I have been admitted to hospital after a dilatation of my joint with pure blood and clots hanging out of the penis. I was in for four days and they only flushed me out once. The "treatment" was just rest.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 14 May 2023 at 16:18
Thanks Chris. I have the ward number and will call them.