Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA has not fallen much

User
Posted 24 May 2023 at 01:04

Hi 

I was just wondering if I should be concerned. PSA was at its highest of 11 and after two Zoladex three monthly injections it was 4.99 when my RT commenced. Should we have waited for it to fall. There are some people on here who have quoted PSA numbers like telephone books but still managed to get below 1. 

No doubt it will fall further and I receive my third injection in June but would appreciate some feedback from other men.

Thanks

Cooleymountain 

User
Posted 26 May 2023 at 12:33

Cooleymountain

Every member who wishes to pose a question, seek support or comment on posts is able to do so. Nobody who posts on this forum is professionally qualified as I understand it and everybody is on a learning curve. Those that post are primarily interested in their own situation. Others freely give their time to largely pass on acquired knowledge and experience, at times using their own experience to illustrate a situation and action taken and do their best to support others. It would certainly be advantageous to the forum if there were more of the latter but you can't press gang others to contribute. With every club, association or group with which I have been associated, and there have been a number over the years, there has always been a dearth of volunteers, so it falls to a small nucleus to step up.

So appreciate those who regularly do their best to support others, even when they are asked questions which should be more appropriately addressed to the patients own physicians. If the most frequent posters stopped doing so, response would be very light. and less well informed. Is this what you would like to see? What do you expect the moderators to do, reduce support? There are aspects of PCa that even Professionals disagree on yet alone members of this forum but you are free to express your opinion. However, it ill behoves somebody with obviously very limited knowledge to take a swipe at somebody who clearly knows much more about the subject and is trying to assist you.. Suggest you think about it and apologise!

Edited by member 27 May 2023 at 10:16  | Reason: to shorten

Barry
User
Posted 26 May 2023 at 20:01
Sorry Cooley, but I totally agree with Barry; and Andy has been a massive help to me in various ways since I was diagnosed circa December 2020 and whose opinion on all things PC related I take very seriously.
User
Posted 25 May 2023 at 12:15

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

There is no point being disappointed about anything or wishing you'd done something different, since that won't change anything but may get you down mentally.

I agree with Andy62’s sentiments but I also know it’s not easy NOT to worry about this when it’s YOU going through it.
What I think IS important is that you get some support and don’t go through this on your own…it can be a lonely place at times. What helped me immensely was joining my local Maggies Men’s Support Group.I thought it wasn’t for me for months, but when I did go along I got so much out of the meetings.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 May 2023 at 13:24
Ask for a testosterone test too that will indicate if the injections are working correctly.
User
Posted 24 May 2023 at 14:37

Mine dropped from 36 very quickly to start with, then slowed down. I’m on Prostap3. I was 0.9 when my RT started. Have you just had your second injection?  iI Would say from 11 to 4.9 after 3 months is not bad….did you ask when you had your second injection if they were happy, my CNS always told me.

Derek

User
Posted 24 May 2023 at 14:46

Thanks what would be a satisfactory level?

Cooley

Cooleymountain 

User
Posted 24 May 2023 at 14:48

Thanks Derek,

No that was after 6 months. The Urologist gave me a cryptic response, he said the Oncologist would rather it was lower but I see no merit in waiting.

Cooley

Cooleymountain 

User
Posted 24 May 2023 at 21:02

6 months is the longest they'll do the neoadjuvant hormone therapy (hormone therapy before radiotherapy).

As suggested, it is worth getting your testosterone level measured to check the hormone therapy is working. If your testosterone is more than about 1.2, it's worth getting whoever did the Zoladex injections to check they were 12 week doses, and not 4 week doses.

User
Posted 25 May 2023 at 01:15

That is useful. If you had received my readings would you be disappointed or accepting that " it's just how it is!". I have read nowhere else of PSA being so stubborn.

🙏

Cooley

Cooleymountain 

User
Posted 25 May 2023 at 07:59

There is no point being disappointed about anything or wishing you'd done something different, since that won't change anything but may get you down mentally.

The hormone therapy probably won't reduce your PSA much more now, but the radiotherapy will, and that will probably take 18-36 months to have maximum effect. One chap's PSA I know is still reducing 5 years after radiotherapy, although that's probably an outlier.

User
Posted 25 May 2023 at 12:15

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I agree with Andy62’s sentiments but I also know it’s not easy NOT to worry about this when it’s YOU going through it.
What I think IS important is that you get some support and don’t go through this on your own…it can be a lonely place at times. What helped me immensely was joining my local Maggies Men’s Support Group.I thought it wasn’t for me for months, but when I did go along I got so much out of the meetings.

User
Posted 26 May 2023 at 03:42

Well I don't agree with Andy's sentiments. Disappointment is a natural human emotion and to express it can be healthy.

What was also disappointing was that Andy didn't begin his post with his usual "we", pronouncing as though he is some expert. 

There is a serious lack of moderation on this forum which unfortunately is dominated by a very few individuals. It's disappointing. 

Cooleymountain 

User
Posted 26 May 2023 at 12:33

Cooleymountain

Every member who wishes to pose a question, seek support or comment on posts is able to do so. Nobody who posts on this forum is professionally qualified as I understand it and everybody is on a learning curve. Those that post are primarily interested in their own situation. Others freely give their time to largely pass on acquired knowledge and experience, at times using their own experience to illustrate a situation and action taken and do their best to support others. It would certainly be advantageous to the forum if there were more of the latter but you can't press gang others to contribute. With every club, association or group with which I have been associated, and there have been a number over the years, there has always been a dearth of volunteers, so it falls to a small nucleus to step up.

So appreciate those who regularly do their best to support others, even when they are asked questions which should be more appropriately addressed to the patients own physicians. If the most frequent posters stopped doing so, response would be very light. and less well informed. Is this what you would like to see? What do you expect the moderators to do, reduce support? There are aspects of PCa that even Professionals disagree on yet alone members of this forum but you are free to express your opinion. However, it ill behoves somebody with obviously very limited knowledge to take a swipe at somebody who clearly knows much more about the subject and is trying to assist you.. Suggest you think about it and apologise!

Edited by member 27 May 2023 at 10:16  | Reason: to shorten

Barry
User
Posted 26 May 2023 at 20:01
Sorry Cooley, but I totally agree with Barry; and Andy has been a massive help to me in various ways since I was diagnosed circa December 2020 and whose opinion on all things PC related I take very seriously.